Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

d-9 boots but fails reboot

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
jamby

Re: d-9 boots but fails reboot

#16 Post by jamby »

debiman

I got output using sudo journalctl -b -0 using -1 or -2 results in a message " Specifying boot ID has no effect, no persistent journal was found"
I went through the output and couldn't find anything that when googled looked like a problem.

I loaded debian 9 and linuxcnc onto a standard WD hard drive and booted the computer with that h-drive to compare problems. The WD h-drive is much slower than the PYN SSD drive all other information was collected from. The WD failed only once where it was identical to the issue with the SSD, blank screen blinking cursor - hung. Twice it failed on boot entering a EFI shell. Other that those three exceptions it booted into debian 9 on reboot fine. I would like to believe this indicates the problem is not with the motherboard.
I have also booted the WD on a dell precision 390 and it's journalctl output is very close to the SSD on the gigabyte mb.

When the gigabite/SSD hangs on reboot (not cold start) nothing from that time is written into the journalctl or syslog files. During the reboot process the gigibyte splash appears then the grub menu and the messages "Loading Linux 4.9.0-8-rt-amd64" and "Loading initial ramdisk" then everything halts with the screen hung with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner. Ctl-Alt-Del will not recover the system, holding the computer start button down long enough will kill the computer, the other way is to reach around back and flip off the AC power and then restart the power and the computer.

I added the output of sudo journalctl -b -0 to the second line at http://lightbythesea.com/debian/journalctl0.dat for what its worth.

Thanks for your time and help
Jim

debiman

#17 Post by debiman »

jamby wrote:Specifying boot ID has no effect, no persistent journal was found
oh right, persistant journaling has to be enabled first!
you might want to do it now in case you run into similar problems later.
can be useful.
https://manpages.debian.org/stretch/sys ... .5.en.html
I added the output of sudo journalctl -b -0 to the second line at http://lightbythesea.com/debian/journalctl0.dat for what its worth.
but since it's not persistent, it can't have caught a failed reboot, because you have to cold boot afterwards, afaiu???
at what time did the failed reboot occur?

jamby

#18 Post by jamby »

debman

Not sure what time any particular reboot happened. But I may have stumbled over the answer to my problem, only a weeks worth of testing will be sure.

I was digging around the google-vers looking for an answer and came across something that had me looking at hard "drive delay time". But my Bios has nothing on that but did have "boot option filter" which did the trick so far. Under the Advanced tab of the Bios is csm support and it that tab is [see below]
csm [enabled]
boot option filter [legacy only] <===
network [do not launch]
storage [legacy only]
video [legacy only]
other pci devices [uepi first]
The "boot option filter" was the one that made the difference. By changing it (and restoring all the others I had changed) the computer now is rebooting on every attempt.
So I wouldn't mark it solved yet but its looking good.

Thanks for all your help
Jim