Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Como afecta instalar un segundo entorno de escritorio?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
navidhs10

Como afecta instalar un segundo entorno de escritorio?

#1 Post by navidhs10 »

Hola, Soy nuevo en Linux (formalmente hablando). Me surge una pregunta: Como afecta al rendimiento de mi pc si instalo un segundo entorno de escritorio? uso una notebook amd de 4gb de ram y busco algo estable, y rapido. Actualmente tengo instalado el LXDE, pero quiero instalar gnome o xfce4 porque he visto que vienen con algunos otros programas en el paquete, justo ahora no estoy muy relacionado con la instalación de los programas o que programas puedo instalar. Que me recomiendan?

GarryRicketson

Re: Como afecta instalar un segundo entorno de escritorio?

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

Porfavor, en engles. Please use english
Hi, I'm new to Linux (formally speaking). I have a question: how does it affect the performance of my PC if I install a second desktop environment? I use an AMD 4GB RAM notebook and I'm looking for something stable, and fast. Currently I have installed the LXDE, but I want to install GNOME or xfce4 because I saw that come with some other programs in the package, just now I'm not very related to the installation of programs or programs I can install. What do you recommend?
You can have various Desktop Environments, it should not be a problem.
To install a package it is simple:
For example only :

Code: Select all

apt install gnome 
Or

apt install xfce4
There are more details on that here:
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianPackageManagement

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#3 Post by arochester »

Psychocats suggests that you may have some inconveniences
Warning: having KDE and Gnome together means you'll have cluttered application menus full of KDE applications and Gnome applications. There may be other minor integration issues, but none should impact functionality,
Source - http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/kde

LXDE is Qt based. Gnome and Xfce are GTK based.

navidhs10

#4 Post by navidhs10 »

Thnx for reply and sorry for spanish question... Ok, so i can install normally another environment like gnome without decreace my performance?.. i was think that i did have to uninstall LXDE to install another

PD: Srry for my english xD

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

It should not affect performance, but as mentioned it can cause cluttered menus, or "menús desordenados," extra items.
Currently I have installed the LXDE, but I want to install GNOME or xfce4 because I saw that come with some other programs in the package, just now I'm not very related to the installation of programs or programs I can install
Actualmente tengo instalado el LXDE, pero quiero instalar gnome o xfce4 porque he visto que vienen con algunos otros programas en el paquete, justo ahora no estoy muy relacionado con la instalación de los programas o que programas puedo instalar.
Actually you probably do not need to install a entire additional Desktop Environment. You can install just the program and package you need. It would also pull in , install any dependencies it needs.
For example, if you want only the XFCE4-terminal, install that, you do not need the entire XFCE desktop to run just the terminal package,..
example :

apt install xfce4-terminal
What packages specifically did you need ?
==== edited ===
I don't use any Desktop Environment, they all are to bloated and lower the general performance on my old hardware. Instead I use a WindowManager, and just install specific programs / packages that I use. But I suppose that would be another topic.

navidhs10

#6 Post by navidhs10 »

OK! Thanks you so much for response!! now i am more clearly