Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] VNC through SSH and xnee problems

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
elastiCoder

[Solved] VNC through SSH and xnee problems

#1 Post by elastiCoder »

Hi,

Recently I've been setting up a debian server on my home PC. I've managed to connect through putty using an SSH tunnel and launch an VNC session so that I can see the desktop remote. So far so good. When I close the VNC connection the desktop remains active for my next connection. That is exacly what I want. The desktop session is another session than the local session and that's fine too.

But now this: I want to create a script that repeats my keyboard/mouse events. I've tried both xnee and xmacrorec but both have the same problem allowing me to record my mouse/keyboard entries. I've been fiddling with it and configured the X11 settings to forward the information but still I get the same problem. On the internet I've found lots of stuff about broken XRecord things but don't know if that is the case.

Can anyone help me here?

(See attachments for more info, oh,.. they appear to have reached the quota)

I'm using Debian GNU/Linux 9

Edit: The error I get is: Xlib: Extension "XInputExtension" missing on diplay ":1.0".
I've setup Putty to allow X11 forwarding
Last edited by elastiCoder on 2018-09-14 04:54, edited 1 time in total.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: VNC through SSH and xnee problems

#2 Post by None1975 »

Hello. It may be that this solution will help you.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

elastiCoder

Re: VNC through SSH and xnee problems

#3 Post by elastiCoder »

Thanks for your suggestion, unfortionately I've already tried that and doesn't help me.
What's new is that I'm now at home and locally everything seems to work ok. It must have something to do with the VNC through SSH-tunnel setup but don't know were to start tracking what the real problem is.

Now that I've created a small test-script on the local session I get the following error when playing it back on the remote session:

Code: Select all

Xlib: extension "XInputExtension" missing on display ":1.0"
Cannot list input devices
Couldn't find device for device id: 8
And when I start recording:

cnee --record --keyboard --mouse --events-to-record -1 --stop-key q --out-file test.xml
Xlib: extension "XInputExtension"missing on display ":1.0".
XI2 not suppoerted
Workaround: Adding some errors to recored to prevent crash
XLib: extension "RECORD" missing on ...
More info on the error I could find:

04/09/18 16:31:55 Xvnc version TightVNC-1.3.9
04/09/18 16:31:55 Copyright (C) 2000-2007 TightVNC Group
04/09/18 16:31:55 Copyright (C) 1999 AT&T Laboratories Cambridge
04/09/18 16:31:55 All Rights Reserved.
04/09/18 16:31:55 See http://www.tightvnc.com/ for information on TightVNC
04/09/18 16:31:55 Desktop name 'X' (<mydomain>.nl:1)
04/09/18 16:31:55 Protocol versions supported: 3.3, 3.7, 3.8, 3.7t, 3.8t
04/09/18 16:31:55 Listening for VNC connections on TCP port 5901
/root/.vnc/xstartup: 10: /root/.vnc/xstartup: vncconfig: not found
Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display ":1".

(x-window-manager:19053): xfwm4-WARNING **: The display does not support the XRender extension.

(x-window-manager:19053): xfwm4-WARNING **: The display does not support the XRandr extension.

(x-window-manager:19053): xfwm4-WARNING **: The display does not support the XComposite extension.

(x-window-manager:19053): xfwm4-WARNING **: The display does not support the XDamage extension.

(x-window-manager:19053): xfwm4-WARNING **: The display does not support the XFixes extension.

(x-window-manager:19053): xfwm4-WARNING **: Compositing manager disabled.
Qt: XKEYBOARD extension not present on the X server.
metacity-Message: could not find XKB extension.
Window manager warning: Screen 0 on display ":1" already has a window manager; try using the --replace option to replace the$

** (gnome-panel:19054): WARNING **: Failed to register client: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The na$

(gnome-panel:19054): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gnome-panel.css:25:8: not a number

(gnome-panel:19054): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gnome-panel.css:25:15: Using Pango syntax for the font: style prop$

elastiCoder

[Solved] Re: VNC through SSH and xnee problems

#4 Post by elastiCoder »

Problem solved!

Apparently I was using the wrong version of the vncserver. I installed vnc4server and rebooted.
Now it all seems to work as expected.

arzgi

Re: [Solved] Re: VNC through SSH and xnee problems

#5 Post by arzgi »

elastiCoder wrote:Problem solved!

Apparently I was using the wrong version of the vncserver. I installed vnc4server and rebooted.
Now it all seems to work as expected.
That's great! I see your last post's header indicates problem solved, but can you please do so also to the header of your first post, so it would be seen already when browsing.