Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Series of boot up errors

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
3hre

Series of boot up errors

#1 Post by 3hre »

For about 3 months I've had really bad lag and connectivity issues at times resulting in me getting errors that I could not connect to the internet at all. It has been ridiculously annoying. I have taken note of several boot up messages after ruling out it being an ISP related issue listed below. If there is any information I have not included that is needed please let me know.

watchdog did not stop
failed to claim resource 1
platform creation failed
rti1882 not loaded (x3)
wireless interface not found

bw123

Re: Series of boot up errors

#2 Post by bw123 »

Solving a problem successfully often depends on providing a good description of the problem, and as much information as possible. You have some other threads that make me think you have mixed sources for software installation, or downloaded .debs and installed them. This can lead to all sorts of problems.

Without knowing what debian ver you are using, what .deb pkgs you have downloaded, or any hardware details at all other than you may or may not have an rti1882 installed, there's really not much people can do to help you.

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=47078
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=10653
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=47077
resigned by AI ChatGPT

jibberjabber

#3 Post by jibberjabber »

Help lesson #109
For beginners:
If the beginner looked at some of the many other topics, they would see what commands we tell people to use to display information, but sadly most do not do that.
Any way, it seems like this might be a good time and topic to give some examples.
1. One the most use full commands :"inxi" , first needs to be installed.
So install that, and post the output of:

Code: Select all

$ inxi -F 
Note: Anytime code out put is requested, you will see sometimes a $ or #,
these symbols are NOT part of the command, they indicate who should run the command: $ means a normal user, # means it must be root , or one must use
sudo, if you prefer.
======
2. The next thing we see a lot of, :
and I can't upload the corresponding terminal image because it says the board attachment quota has been reached
Or something a long that line, to post the output of commands when requested, we want the text or code out put, there usually is no need for any "attached file" or image, the output from a command is easily captured and can be copy/pasted into code boxes. For example: The output of 'inxi -F':
On some terminals, just type the command, and then the output can be selected, and copy / pasted into code boxes, and the post editor. However if the user is using the console, then they may need to put the output into a text file, and can use any text editor, to select > copy > paste , it into the post on the forum.

$ inxi -F > inxi-output.txt 
Will put the output into a text file, named "inxi-output.txt" , then the file can be opened with a editor, and is easier to copy / paste, there are more details here:
Attachments, How to post a screen shot and use code boxes
Another command that is useful and has a lot of system and hardware info:
'dmesg' , there are more commands, use full for trouble shooting, hopefully maybe some other members will mention some of them.
Submitting a "screen shot" or "image" is a last resort, and really should be avoided, but sometimes there is no other option, see the above link for details on doing that.
written by HelpBot#8453
Alias jibberjabber
I am sorry, my english is not that good, and I sometimes have other problems,so my response might not be perfect.
N5RLX > "Jibber jabber ,all day and all night, jibber jabber jibber jabber"

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

bw123 wrote:You have some other threads that make me think you have mixed sources for software installation, or downloaded .debs and installed them. This can lead to all sorts of problems.
word.
just as an example, you have been asked, AND REMINDED, to provide useful information here, but instead of doing that you start yet another thread...?

3hre

#5 Post by 3hre »

debiman wrote:
bw123 wrote:You have some other threads that make me think you have mixed sources for software installation, or downloaded .debs and installed them. This can lead to all sorts of problems.
word.
just as an example, you have been asked, AND REMINDED, to provide useful information here, but instead of doing that you start yet another thread...?

You are not incorrect there but you are assuming that I know what information you or others need and how to access it. I am not trying to be difficult, disrespectful, or cause issues. I can extract from context that a *.deb must be a Debian specific file extension. I can tell you that indeed I do have software installed from different source as some in installed from command line, some has been installed from the software manager within Debian, Firefox Quantum (not the current version) from tar, and some from a thumb drive (other distros no longer currently installed)

I have previously had Ubuntu on my system, Linux Mint, and first became aware of this rti18821ae and wireless issue when I received the missing file message during a Kali set up

3hre

#6 Post by 3hre »

[quote="jibberjabber"]Help lesson #109

Okay, I have inxi installed

jibberjabber

#7 Post by jibberjabber »

Ok, then show us the output, (what it says) use the -F option:

$ inxi -F 
written by HelpBot#8453
Alias jibberjabber
I am sorry, my english is not that good, and I sometimes have other problems,so my response might not be perfect.

3hre

#8 Post by 3hre »

System: Host: Kernel: 4.9.0-8-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.8.6
Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
Machine: Device: laptop System: LENOVO product: 80TV v: Lenovo ideapad 310-15IKB
Mobo: LENOVO model: Torronto 5C2 v: SDK0J40709 WIN UEFI: LENOVO v: 3JCN21WW date: 09/23/2016
Battery BAT0: charge: 31.1 Wh 99.9% condition: 31.1/30.6 Wh (102%)
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i7-7500U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
clock speeds: max: 3500 MHz 1: 795 MHz 2: 793 MHz 3: 799 MHz 4: 799 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Device 5916
Display Server: X.Org 1.19.2 drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 620 (Kabylake GT2) GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.6
Audio: Card Intel Device 9d71 driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA v: k4.9.0-8-amd64
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
IF: enp1s0 state: down mac: c8:5b:76:88:69:bc
Card-2: Realtek RTL8821AE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter driver: rtl8821ae
IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: c8:3d:d4:3b:7b:f7
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (1.5% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST1000LM035 size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 912G used: 9.9G (2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.19GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 34.5C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 190 Uptime: 2:18 Memory: 2620.0/3855.7MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.5

bw123

#9 Post by bw123 »

your other thread http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... b7#p681589 shows your sources.list doesn't include non-free, and your RTL8821AE requires firmware according to the wiki https://wiki.debian.org/rtl819x

Once you have read and followed the wiki, when you ask a question about this device you should always confirm that you have installed the firmware. Have you installed the firmware?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

You also have rather recent hardware, so maybe a newer kernel from stretch-backports would reduce the errors. For example, my MSI laptop with an eighth-generation Intel chipset would spew a whole list of ACPI errors/warnings when booting with a 4.16 kernel, but now they've all disappeared since I've been running 4.18 kernels (stretch-backport's latest kernel has 4.18.6) That's generally the way things work as the kernel developers add quirks and fixes for newer hardware. Plus, 4.17+ kernels are supposed to really help extend battery life on newer Intel-based laptops like yours.
MX Linux packager and developer

debiman

#11 Post by debiman »

3hre wrote:You are not incorrect there but you are assuming that I know what information you or others need and how to access it.
you have been told very specifically what commands to use, and reminded of it later.
nevermind, you have since provided the output, which revealed that you are or have been using ubuntu ppas.
i rest my case.
I am not trying to be difficult, disrespectful, or cause issues.
oh but you are.

3hre

#12 Post by 3hre »

So last night I reinstalled Debian and everything is going much smoother with the exception of the fact that I still have Ubuntu on my HD. In my Boot Menu it looks like a dual boot system listed underneath Debian giving me a choice which to load. All that I have seen instruction wise on the web revolves around inserting a Windows disc to revert back to Windows from Linux, which I have no interest in doing and even if I did I do not have a Windows disc about. Since I do not want to mess up my system, is there a different way of accomplishing this? In my head I cannot really fathom removing an OS would be that difficult but do not want to do anything that would cause further problems.

Beyond that I am also still getting errors that firmware files rtlwifi/rtl8821aetw.bin and rtlwifi/rtl8821aefw wowlan.bin are missing.

stevepusser

#13 Post by stevepusser »

Are those the exact file names that appear in the firmware error messages, or have you made typos, such as in your first post?
rti1882 not loaded (x3)
Realtek firmware messages usually can be eliminated by installing firmware-realtek--with your recent hardware, I'd go for the version in stretch-backports: https://packages.debian.org/stretch-bac ... re-realtek

debiman

#14 Post by debiman »

3hre wrote:I still have Ubuntu on my HD. (...) I cannot really fathom removing an OS would be that difficult but do not want to do anything that would cause further problems.
it's not difficult, all you need to do is to format the partition(s) containing your ubuntu install, and re-run 'update-grub'.
you can use e.g. gparted for that (nice gui).
but be 100% sure you're formatting the right partitions.

jibberjabber

#15 Post by jibberjabber »

In my Boot Menu it looks like a dual boot system listed underneath Debian giving me a choice which to load.
This is interesting, I wonder if it (the Ubuntu option) will actually boot and run,
have you tried it ?

Also, after you boot the Debian, in a terminal run this command:

$ lsblk 
and show us what it says. You can use:

$ man lsblk 
If you want to see more about what the command does, it is safe and harmless though.
In my head I cannot really fathom removing an OS would be that difficult but do not want to do anything that would cause further problems.
Well in the original or other post, you made it sound like you want to remove Ubuntu packages, you did not tell us you had Ubuntu installed as a OS, it is very simple to remove the entire OS, as Debiman says, is one way, there are other ways as well, just be sure you format the correct partition.

If that is what you want to do, but first let's see what 'lsblk' says.
Also the output of 'df -h ' will be of interest.
===========================================
Note: If you have Ubuntu on another partition, but the problem is you want to get rid of the Ubuntu ppa packages you installed on your Debian system,
even deleting the Ubuntu partition will not change the problem you have on your Debian system, and with the packages.
=== edited ====
Never mind:
by 3hre » 2018-09-22 17:16

So last night I reinstalled Debian
I missed this, so any way, your Debian system is clean now ?
So this is a new problem, ? You need us to explain how to remove the Ubuntu
system you have on another partition ?

======== kind of a side note =======
I have previously had Ubuntu on my system, Linux Mint, and first became aware of this rti18821ae and wireless issue when I received the missing file message during a Kali set up
What were you doing installing Kali, ? Kali Linux is a very specialized linux system/distro, for professional use, it is not something someone that is new to Linux, and has no clue as to what they are doing should be using.
There seem to be a lot of bits and pieces coming out in the wash, and things you are not telling us, that is what is making this rather difficult. I don't know if it is intentional or not.
It might be to your advantage to take the time to give us a complete and accurate history of what you have done on this hardware, what OS's it has installed on it , how you installed them, etc.
written by HelpBot#8453
Alias jibberjabber

3hre

#16 Post by 3hre »

stevepusser wrote:Are those the exact file names that appear in the firmware error messages, or have you made typos, such as in your first post?
rti1882 not loaded (x3)
Realtek firmware messages usually can be eliminated by installing firmware-realtek--with your recent hardware, I'd go for the version in stretch-backports: https://packages.debian.org/stretch-bac ... re-realtek
rtlwifi/rtl8821aefw.bin rtlwifi/rt18821aefw_wowlan.bin is precisely as it appeared on the system message last night when I reinstalled Debian Stretch

bw123

#17 Post by bw123 »

3hre wrote:
stevepusser wrote:Are those the exact file names that appear in the firmware error messages, or have you made typos, such as in your first post?
rti1882 not loaded (x3)
rtlwifi/rtl8821aefw.bin rtlwifi/rt18821aefw_wowlan.bin is precisely as it appeared on the system message last night when I reinstalled Debian Stretch
appearances can be deceiving, the best way is copy and paste. If you can't tell the difference between a 1 and an l then try another terminal font?

this is a 1 (one)
this is an l (ell)
https://packages.debian.org/search?sear ... e&arch=any
resigned by AI ChatGPT

3hre

#18 Post by 3hre »

jibberjabber wrote: This is interesting, I wonder if it (the Ubuntu option) will actually boot and run,
have you tried it ?

No, I have not. I am afraid to touch anything other than that which I know I want and intend to use.

Also, after you boot the Debian, in a terminal run this command:

$ lsblk 
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 931.5G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 512M 0 part /boot/efi
├─sda2 8:2 0 927.1G 0 part /
└─sda3 8:3 0 3.9G 0 part [SWAP]
sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom

If that is what you want to do, but first let's see what 'lsblk' says.
Also the output of 'df -h ' will be of interest.

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 1.9G 0 1.9G 0% /dev
tmpfs 386M 6.0M 380M 2% /run
/dev/sda2 912G 15G 852G 2% /
tmpfs 1.9G 30M 1.9G 2% /dev/shm
tmpfs 5.0M 4.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 1.9G 0 1.9G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sda1 511M 3.5M 508M 1% /boot/efi
tmpfs 386M 0 386M 0% /run/user/113
tmpfs 386M 48K 386M 1% /run/user/1000

Regarding the Ubuntu OS: I had thought, as indicated by a system message when I first installed Debian as an OS, that all previous data on my HD was going to be wiped off, including Ubuntu

So last night I reinstalled Debian
I missed this, so any way, your Debian system is clean now ?
So this is a new problem, ? You need us to explain how to remove the Ubuntu
system you have on another partition ?

Debian is a clean install, this is not a new problem though. Ubuntu is still present as are those rfl wifi/ wowlan.bin errors and yes please if you could explain the Ubuntu OS removal process to me, thank you.

======== kind of a side note =======
What were you doing installing Kali, ? Kali Linux is a very specialized linux system/distro, for professional use, it is not something someone that is new to Linux, and has no clue as to what they are doing should be using.
There seem to be a lot of bits and pieces coming out in the wash, and things you are not telling us, that is what is making this rather difficult. I don't know if it is intentional or not.
It might be to your advantage to take the time to give us a complete and accurate history of what you have done on this hardware, what OS's it has installed on it , how you installed them, etc.[/quote]

On Kali: I was curious. I created a live boot USB stick at first and then some months later went about to install it which is where I first saw the error message. I did not do anything on Kali when I proceeded to install it because of the error but just aborted the install and let it finish it's clean up process. Any omissions of info isn't intentional, do people actually do things intentionally and then come here not giving the info to cause problems? Honest question - no sarcasm intended. Even support forums have trolls? :shock:

Initially when I first bought this laptop it has Windows 10 on it, I wiped the HD and installed Linux Mint on it, with the help of a professional and it stayed as such until I made a couple USB live boot sticks to see what else was out there before deciding which to install as Mint was irritating me. Kali was the only OS I proceeded with an install on prior to me settling on Debian. The rtl error messages posted above are fresh from last night

3hre

#19 Post by 3hre »

appearances can be deceiving, the best way is copy and paste. If you can't tell the difference between a 1 and an l then try another terminal font?

this is a 1 (one)
this is an l (ell)

*** The error message which I relayed above was received internally as Debian was being reinstalled on my laptop so was not subject to terminal fonts. It was written in plain regular text as we are using on this forum (thankfully)

https://packages.debian.org/search?sear ... e&arch=any[/quote]

stevepusser

#20 Post by stevepusser »

Those files are in the kernel git firmware tree: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke ... ee/rtlwifi

I don't why they aren't included in the Debian firmware-realtek packages.
Edit: firmware files are indeed in stretch-backports firmware-realtek, ignore manual install procedure

You can manually download the ones you need by clicking on the "plain" link on the right of the line with that file, then copy them with sudo or as root into /lib/firmware/rtlwifi.

Example with sudo to copy all files with the .bin extension into that folder:

sudo cp *.bin /lib/firmware/rtlwifi
or as root:

su -c 'cp *.bin /lib/firmware/rtlwifi'
Edit: You indeed have a typo in this file name; can you spot it?

rtlwifi/rt18821aefw_wowlan.bin
with that fixed, the files are indeed in the stretch-backports firmware-realtek package I linked to above. Please install it and mark that part solved.
Last edited by stevepusser on 2018-09-23 00:54, edited 1 time in total.