Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Series of boot up errors

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
3hre

Re: Series of boot up errors

#16 Post by 3hre »

stevepusser wrote:Are those the exact file names that appear in the firmware error messages, or have you made typos, such as in your first post?
rti1882 not loaded (x3)
Realtek firmware messages usually can be eliminated by installing firmware-realtek--with your recent hardware, I'd go for the version in stretch-backports: https://packages.debian.org/stretch-bac ... re-realtek
rtlwifi/rtl8821aefw.bin rtlwifi/rt18821aefw_wowlan.bin is precisely as it appeared on the system message last night when I reinstalled Debian Stretch

bw123

#17 Post by bw123 »

3hre wrote:
stevepusser wrote:Are those the exact file names that appear in the firmware error messages, or have you made typos, such as in your first post?
rti1882 not loaded (x3)
Realtek firmware messages usually can be eliminated by installing firmware-realtek--with your recent hardware, I'd go for the version in stretch-backports: https://packages.debian.org/stretch-bac ... re-realtek
rtlwifi/rtl8821aefw.bin rtlwifi/rt18821aefw_wowlan.bin is precisely as it appeared on the system message last night when I reinstalled Debian Stretch
appearances can be deceiving, the best way is copy and paste. If you can't tell the difference between a 1 and an l then try another terminal font?

Code: Select all

this is a 1 (one)
this is an l (ell)
https://packages.debian.org/search?sear ... e&arch=any
resigned by AI ChatGPT

3hre

#18 Post by 3hre »

jibberjabber wrote: This is interesting, I wonder if it (the Ubuntu option) will actually boot and run,
have you tried it ?

No, I have not. I am afraid to touch anything other than that which I know I want and intend to use.

Also, after you boot the Debian, in a terminal run this command:

$ lsblk 
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 931.5G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 512M 0 part /boot/efi
├─sda2 8:2 0 927.1G 0 part /
└─sda3 8:3 0 3.9G 0 part [SWAP]
sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom

If that is what you want to do, but first let's see what 'lsblk' says.
Also the output of 'df -h ' will be of interest.

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 1.9G 0 1.9G 0% /dev
tmpfs 386M 6.0M 380M 2% /run
/dev/sda2 912G 15G 852G 2% /
tmpfs 1.9G 30M 1.9G 2% /dev/shm
tmpfs 5.0M 4.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 1.9G 0 1.9G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sda1 511M 3.5M 508M 1% /boot/efi
tmpfs 386M 0 386M 0% /run/user/113
tmpfs 386M 48K 386M 1% /run/user/1000

Regarding the Ubuntu OS: I had thought, as indicated by a system message when I first installed Debian as an OS, that all previous data on my HD was going to be wiped off, including Ubuntu

So last night I reinstalled Debian
I missed this, so any way, your Debian system is clean now ?
So this is a new problem, ? You need us to explain how to remove the Ubuntu
system you have on another partition ?

Debian is a clean install, this is not a new problem though. Ubuntu is still present as are those rfl wifi/ wowlan.bin errors and yes please if you could explain the Ubuntu OS removal process to me, thank you.

======== kind of a side note =======
I have previously had Ubuntu on my system, Linux Mint, and first became aware of this rti18821ae and wireless issue when I received the missing file message during a Kali set up
What were you doing installing Kali, ? Kali Linux is a very specialized linux system/distro, for professional use, it is not something someone that is new to Linux, and has no clue as to what they are doing should be using.
There seem to be a lot of bits and pieces coming out in the wash, and things you are not telling us, that is what is making this rather difficult. I don't know if it is intentional or not.
It might be to your advantage to take the time to give us a complete and accurate history of what you have done on this hardware, what OS's it has installed on it , how you installed them, etc.[/quote]

On Kali: I was curious. I created a live boot USB stick at first and then some months later went about to install it which is where I first saw the error message. I did not do anything on Kali when I proceeded to install it because of the error but just aborted the install and let it finish it's clean up process. Any omissions of info isn't intentional, do people actually do things intentionally and then come here not giving the info to cause problems? Honest question - no sarcasm intended. Even support forums have trolls? :shock:

Initially when I first bought this laptop it has Windows 10 on it, I wiped the HD and installed Linux Mint on it, with the help of a professional and it stayed as such until I made a couple USB live boot sticks to see what else was out there before deciding which to install as Mint was irritating me. Kali was the only OS I proceeded with an install on prior to me settling on Debian. The rtl error messages posted above are fresh from last night

3hre

#19 Post by 3hre »

appearances can be deceiving, the best way is copy and paste. If you can't tell the difference between a 1 and an l then try another terminal font?

this is a 1 (one)
this is an l (ell)

*** The error message which I relayed above was received internally as Debian was being reinstalled on my laptop so was not subject to terminal fonts. It was written in plain regular text as we are using on this forum (thankfully)

https://packages.debian.org/search?sear ... e&arch=any[/quote]

stevepusser

#20 Post by stevepusser »

Those files are in the kernel git firmware tree: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke ... ee/rtlwifi

I don't why they aren't included in the Debian firmware-realtek packages.
Edit: firmware files are indeed in stretch-backports firmware-realtek, ignore manual install procedure

You can manually download the ones you need by clicking on the "plain" link on the right of the line with that file, then copy them with sudo or as root into /lib/firmware/rtlwifi.

Example with sudo to copy all files with the .bin extension into that folder:

sudo cp *.bin /lib/firmware/rtlwifi
or as root:

su -c 'cp *.bin /lib/firmware/rtlwifi'
Edit: You indeed have a typo in this file name; can you spot it?

rtlwifi/rt18821aefw_wowlan.bin
with that fixed, the files are indeed in the stretch-backports firmware-realtek package I linked to above. Please install it and mark that part solved.
Last edited by stevepusser on 2018-09-23 00:54, edited 1 time in total.
MX Linux packager and developer

jibberjabber

#21 Post by jibberjabber »

by 3hre »Any omissions of info isn't intentional, do people actually do things intentionally and then come here not giving the info to cause problems? Honest question - no sarcasm intended. Even support forums have trolls?
Ok, and thanks for providing the additional information. Yes, we do get some
that are just plain trolls, others maybe they are not really trying to cause problems, but they seem to think that by not telling us some things, nobody will say "you shouldn't have done that" so to speak. We get a lot that run the helpers in circles, none of the solutions seem to work, and then finally they tell us they are not using Debian, but it is Kali Linux, which is not Debian, and that is why the solutions offered didn't work. Any way, this thread is getting to confusing to me, I think you/we should concentrate on doing what Steve says, and get the firmware you need installed. If you have any problems with that, let us know, and hopefully Steve will help you if he can on that.
I think on the other issue, with Ubuntu showing in your menu at boot time should be addressed (discussed) in another topic. At this point it still is not clear to me, which partition should be formatted or deleted, but any way that would be better if it is in a separate topic. No need to reply, nor full quote this,
let's just concentrate on the firmware for now.
written by HelpBot#8453
Alias jibberjabber
I am sorry, my english is not that good, and I sometimes have other problems,so my response might not be perfect.
N5RLX > "Jibber jabber ,all day and all night, jibber jabber jibber jabber"

debiman

#22 Post by debiman »

3hre, you need to learn to quote other people's posts properly.
your last posts are very confusing.

this is a proper quote:

[quate]i am debiman and i will never stop.[/quate]

it's case INsensitive. and i had to write "quate" instead of "quote", otherwise it wouldn't show up.

GarryRicketson

#23 Post by GarryRicketson »

[quote]that is why we have code boxes [/quote]
that is why we have code boxes

3hre

#24 Post by 3hre »

Edit: You indeed have a typo in this file name; can you spot it?

rtlwifi/rt18821aefw_wowlan.bin

Yes lol rt1

... Kind of like a keyboard version of gremlins. Don't let me type after midnight :lol: Double the proof of this issue seeing how I had just previous to that said how it was out of the Debian install so not subject to the terminal font so I don't even have that font to blame lol

Given the time I will wait until the morning to go about to install that firmware

RedPieDad

#25 Post by RedPieDad »

I don't think this was solved.

Easiest way was to append non-free to your /etc/apt/sources.list file and

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install firmware-realtek
You can restart your computer. If that doesn't work you can try manually restarting the configuration boot file for networking with (need to be root):

/etc/init.d/networking restart
or just use a Network manager with GUI. Should be a lot easier once you actually have the drivers installed to configure and start it up.