Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

If i update my kernel i lost a debian actualizations?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
JuguitoDeNaranja

If i update my kernel i lost a debian actualizations?

#1 Post by JuguitoDeNaranja »

Hello everybody.

I've update my kernel on Debian 9 (Stretch) for a driver reasons.

Everything is okay, but i have a question...

Upgrade my kernel lost my futures updates? O.o

Sorry for this peculiar question, but i mind what this causes any lost of future updates (the automatic system updates).

Is this right? In internet no one mentioned this (really, the blogs what i readed this point is some ambiguous), but for a reason, i thing what is this like that...

Thanks a lot for the help, and everybody have a nice day.
#YOLO

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: If i update my kernel i lost a debian actualizations?

#2 Post by CwF »

Depends how you update? I could be wrong but the kernel doesn't matter. If a kernel does mandate automatic updates I'd like to know so I can avoid it. I've built a few custom kernels, and along with base kernels never noticed a difference. Someone else can chime in on the packages that enable automatic updates. Extra repositories with their associated programs can separately enable automatic updates for that program.

If you use synaptic manually, or the traditional cli or aptitude, you get to the same state. Personally I don't think automatic is a great idea. In my experience, newer kernels will be listed when available and you'll need to deselect them from an update all operation in order to keep custom kernel.

JuguitoDeNaranja

#3 Post by JuguitoDeNaranja »

CwF wrote:Depends how you update? I could be wrong but the kernel doesn't matter. If a kernel does mandate automatic updates I'd like to know so I can avoid it. I've built a few custom kernels, and along with base kernels never noticed a difference. Someone else can chime in on the packages that enable automatic updates. Extra repositories with their associated programs can separately enable automatic updates for that program.

If you use synaptic manually, or the traditional cli or aptitude, you get to the same state. Personally I don't think automatic is a great idea. In my experience, newer kernels will be listed when available and you'll need to deselect them from an update all operation in order to keep custom kernel.
Mainly I was referring to whether the software of automatic updates (the manager that comes included) had some policy that restricted the updates for those who use a modified kernel ...

I use the software of Debian (automatic system) for O.S updates.
#YOLO

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

JuguitoDeNaranja wrote:Mainly I was referring to whether the software of automatic updates (the manager that comes included) I use the software of Debian (automatic system) for O.S updates.
This is more the DE choice, Gnome, KDE, etc than a debian choice. Many desktops will include and enable automatic updates, XFCE for example does not.

I do not have unattended-upgrades or apt-listchanges on any of my machines. If you need to keep your kernel choice with automatic upgrades then pin or hold the kernel package. I'd recommend using synaptic manually and carefully reading it's messages on updates, taking note and changing it's selections when necessary.

I would expect a fully automatic upgrade to upgrade your kernel every time one is available unless you stop it. I would not expect your custom kernel to prevent anything.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

The Debian Stable 4.9 kernel will get automatic security updates. If you're running any other kernel, such as one from stretch-backports, you're responsible for updating that yourself. It does not affect other package updates outside of those that are part of the kernel.

Some third-party kernel repos, such as the Liquorix one or my backports of it, offer a metapackage for the kernel that will always pull in the latest Liquorix kernel, so that, for example, it will pull in 4.19 when that becomes available--but whether to install the metapackage is left to the user.
MX Linux packager and developer

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

JuguitoDeNaranja wrote:Mainly I was referring to whether the software of automatic updates (the manager that comes included) had some policy that restricted the updates for those who use a modified kernel ...
are you sneakily telling us, without actually telling us, that you run a custom kernel that is not in the debian repos?
if so, we would need much more information about how you installed it, or if you even installed it at all with apt.