Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Error with Partitioning during kali linux install

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
RU55EL

Re: Error with Partitioning during kali linux install

#16 Post by RU55EL »

p.H wrote:[...] AFAICS [...]
(As far as I can see)

That is exactly my point.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#17 Post by p.H »

Who cares, as long as the installer looks and behaves exactly like Debian's ?

Dai_trying

#18 Post by Dai_trying »

@OP
Have you tried the actual Debian installer to see if it acts the same? I use Debian derivatives very often but would never post a question based on the other distro without confirming the error/behaviour/bug is exactly the same on "proper" Debian

RU55EL

#19 Post by RU55EL »

p.H wrote:Who cares, as long as the installer looks and behaves exactly like Debian's ?
Does it look and behave exactly like Debian? Are you certain that it is exactly the same?

No one is suggesting that you shouldn't help the original poster. I am suggesting that the original poster should look for help at the Kali forum, or in Kali documentation, if they are having problems installing Kali.

By all means, feel free to help the original poster.

stevepusser

#20 Post by stevepusser »

The Kali forums are pretty heavily moderated. Maybe they won't let this question even appear, since Kali is intended to be run off a USB stick instead of installed.
MX Linux packager and developer

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#21 Post by p.H »

RU55EL wrote:Does it look and behave exactly like Debian?
From the posted screenshots, it does (except the Kali header logo of course).
RU55EL wrote:Are you certain that it is exactly the same?
As long as it looks and behaves exactly the same, I do not think this is relevant.
RU55EL wrote:No one is suggesting that you shouldn't help the original poster. I am suggesting that the original poster should look for help at the Kali forum, or in Kali documentation, if they are having problems installing Kali.
Kali being a Debian derivative, I would understand that people at the Kali forum prefer to focus on Kali-specific features and issues and leave general Debian related features and issues to general Debian forums. The present issue is not Kali-specific.
RU55EL wrote:By all means, feel free to help the original poster.
I did not wait for permission to do so.

RU55EL

#22 Post by RU55EL »

I understand your position, and as you well know, disagree with it. There is no point in arguing further.

Bulkley

#23 Post by Bulkley »

stevepusser wrote:The Kali forums are pretty heavily moderated. Maybe they won't let this question even appear, since Kali is intended to be run off a USB stick instead of installed.
Kali is for experts. If one has to ask beginner questions Kali is the wrong distro. I imagine that Kali forums are moderated to screen out the kind of posts we often see here.

RU55EL

#24 Post by RU55EL »

You guys got me curious. I had to take a look at the Kali forums.

Apparently, the original poster did post at the Kali forums, so far no reply.

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php? ... ux-install

[edit]

Looking around in the Kali documentation I found a couple quotes that might be appropriate to this message thread:
From Kali website, Should I use Kali Linux? wrote:If you are unfamiliar with Linux generally, if you do not have at least a basic level of competence in administering a system, if you are looking for a Linux distribution to use as a learning tool to get to know your way around Linux, or if you want a distro that you can use as a general purpose desktop installation, Kali Linux is probably not what you are looking for.
From Kali website, Should I use Kali Linux? wrote:If you are looking for a Linux distribution to learn the basics of Linux and need a good starting point, Kali Linux is not the ideal distribution for you. You may want to begin with Ubuntu, Mint, or Debian instead. If you’re interested in getting hands-on with the internals of Linux, take a look the “Linux From Scratch” project.
[/edit]

debiman

#25 Post by debiman »

re those quotes:
people probably just get tired of repeating this again and again.
esp. because those that need to hear it don't hear it anyhow, even if it comes straight from the kali wiki.
no, it's still our fault that we're trying to deny them their birthright to "hack".
and of course they won't be denied what is rightfully theirs!
i have only one word for it: puberty.
RU55EL wrote:post at the Kali forums, so far no reply.
that is really the best way to deal with this particular kind of ignorance.

PS:
i can see you are having some kind of argument here.
i am not taking part or even sides in it.