Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Off-line Installation/Usage

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
1byte

Off-line Installation/Usage

#1 Post by 1byte »

I am trying to build a USB stick that can be used to install Debian Off-line and have included ISOs - Dual Layer BD of i386 and amd64
to help installing needed programs from those ISO files on PC's that are completely Off-line.

I think that the best way is to use Dual Layer BD ISO's and when new update comes up, take the USB stick
to a place with net access use jigdo to update those instead of CD or DVD's images.

I have already downloaded amd64 ISO's from:
https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu ... igdo-dlbd/
debian-9.5.0-amd64-DLBD-1.iso 48309MB
debian-9.5.0-amd64-DLBD-2.iso 12244MB

And I will be shortly sourcing i386 ISO's as well from:
https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu ... igdo-dlbd/

But do I need to use DLBD as a image on the USB stick that will be used to initially install Debian on the PC,
or can I use debian-9.5.0-amd64-i386-netinst image and somehow mount the required debian-9.5.0-amd64-DLBD-1 or debian-9.5.0-i386-DLBD-1 image
to finish the full installation (MATE Desktop, Networking for LAN), etc.?

bw123

Re: Off-line Installation/Usage

#2 Post by bw123 »

Good idea that should work just fine
resigned by AI ChatGPT

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by p.H »

1byte wrote:can I use debian-9.5.0-amd64-i386-netinst image and somehow mount the required debian-9.5.0-amd64-DLBD-1 or debian-9.5.0-i386-DLBD-1 imageto finish the full installation (MATE Desktop, Networking for LAN), etc.?
You cannot boot the netinst installer (or any other ISO installer) and use other ISO images files during the initial installation, because the ISO installer cannot mount image files. It can only mount filesystems in full drives or partitions. The hd-media installer can mount image files.

You can mount and use image files after the initial installation to install extra tasks (with tasksel) or packages.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

The last time I did this was almost two years ago, but if you know a remote computer will never have internet first make a local pool using the package dpkg-dev.

Using a netinst is the harder way, but I did it this way as to build a tighter system with a complete CLI system first. A DVD image or a non-free perhaps would get this first step further along. In any case, allow the install to barf without a network, don't configure repositories during the install. On reboot, the netinst gets only to the command line, from there manually edit sources list for the local pool, update, and apt install some basics, like aptitude for one. From there, build.

The local pool is like a CD in that it needs mounted, or copied to the local disk manually after the initial install. I put it on the local disk and directed sources list to that. It's not that much space on a modern drive. Later you can update that pool however, then update the system.

One caveat, I believe there were a few files needed I pulled from apt cache during a test run and added to my local pool. Those files seemed to not be in the DVD set I used to create the local pool. So from the test, an offline install to a vm, I gave it net access to complete the install and added the few files from that apt cache to the pool, then the live run did work out fine.