Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Problems with dual boot [SOLVED]

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
fawkesjr

Problems with dual boot [SOLVED]

#1 Post by fawkesjr »

I was using Debian 9 stable on my Dell N4050 with no problems, but I wanted to test OpenSuse Tumbleweed in a dual boot. I tried to install it creating 2 partitions: one for the OS and a Swap. The installation showed me no errors and I can boot into OpenSuse with no problems, but I can't boot to Debian anymore. Altough I can access all my files in the Debian partition through OpenSuse, I want to be able to boot into both OS.

What I've tried until now:
- I googled my problem, but i could not find a similar problem
- I tried the rescue mode with de Debian 9 iso, but I don't know what to do with the shell and I can't reinstall GRUB
- I searched the Debian documentation about the rescue mode, but that didn't help me

Can anyone help me? I don't know if I gave you enough information, so let me know
Last edited by fawkesjr on 2018-10-30 14:19, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Problems with dual boot

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Please post the output of

Code: Select all

# parted --list
# efibootmgr -v
# grub2-mkconfig
I don't use OpenSUSE so the last command may be wrong, remove the "2" if it fails.

EDIT: the GRUB output will be lengthy so be sure to use code tags, thanks!

EDIT2: why can't you install GRUB from the Debian ISO? What happens when you try?
deadbang

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by p.H »

fawkesjr wrote:I can't boot to Debian anymore
Why not ?
Didn't openSUSE add an entry for Debian in its boot menu ?
Or does this entry not work properly ?

fawkesjr

#4 Post by fawkesjr »

Thank you very much for your help!!

I fixed my problem doing the folloing command in the shell of the recovery mode: fsck /dev/sda1 (and marking yes for all the options).

After that I could boot Debian with no apparently problems

I did that before I saw your replies today and came here to let you know that my problem has been solved.

Thanks anyway!!