Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Steam won't open even after fresh Debian installation

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
steamproblem

Steam won't open even after fresh Debian installation

#1 Post by steamproblem »

Hello,

Hardware: i7-8850U, Nvidia MX150

Backstory: I installed Debian testing to my laptop. Installed Steam (not with the instructions from wiki), got Steam up and running with the first launch. Turned off the laptop and after that I never got the Steam working again. There was some problem with GPU drivers. I gave up and installed Debian Stable 9.6 thinking that it will solve my problems. After Debian installation I headed to the wiki and installed Steam and Bumblebee as instructed and everything worked. I rebooted the laptop and tried to open Steam again, works perfectly. I download Darkest Dungeons, didn't open it, I didn't install or update anything between. I turned the laptop off and went to sleep.

Present: Now in the morning tried to open Steam to have some prime time at the dungeon but to my surprise Steam doesn't open again. Only error message it told me was that it was not shutdown in correct way?

When I run the command "steam" the Steam's update window opens for a second, then it closes and then there is the small window that says that Steam is connecting to my account. After that nothing. And end of the log terminal is ready to take new command so it's not like Steam is running in the background.

Here is the log:

Code: Select all

user@debian:~$ steam
Running Steam on debian 9 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Pins up-to-date!
[2018-11-22 11:52:53] Startup - updater built Nov 10 2018 02:44:20
Looks like steam didn't shutdown cleanly, scheduling immediate update check                                                                                                                                                                                                    
[2018-11-22 11:52:53] Checking for update on startup                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
[2018-11-22 11:52:53] Checking for available updates...                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
[2018-11-22 11:52:53] Downloading manifest: client-download.steampowered.com/client/steam_client_ubuntu12                                                                                                                                                                      
[2018-11-22 11:52:53] Download skipped: /client/steam_client_ubuntu12 version 1541819448, installed version 1541819448                                                                                                                                                         
[2018-11-22 11:52:53] Nothing to do                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
[2018-11-22 11:52:53] Verifying installation...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
[2018-11-22 11:52:53] Performing checksum verification of executable files                                                                                                                                                                                                     
[2018-11-22 11:52:54] Verification complete   
user@debian:~$ 
What I can try to fix this?

piper

Re: Steam won't open even after fresh Debian installation

#2 Post by piper »

WARNING, THIS COMMAND WILL DELETE ALL YOUR GAMES INSTALLED, so do a proper steam backup first.

Hopefully you installed steam from debian, and used dpkg --add-architecture i386
I have no experience with anything bumblebee so ymmv

steam --reset
If that by itself don't work do

rm -rf ~/.steam
rm -rf ~/.local/share/Steam
rm -rf /home/username/Steam
steam --reset

steamproblem

#3 Post by steamproblem »

piper wrote:WARNING, THIS COMMAND WILL DELETE ALL YOUR GAMES INSTALLED, so do a proper steam backup first.

Hopefully you installed steam from debian, and used dpkg --add-architecture i386

steam --reset
If that by itself don't work do

rm -rf ~/.steam
steam --reset
Hello and thanks for the help!
I tried to run steam --reset but it didn't take me too far

rappurandosama@debian:~$ steam --reset
Error: Couldn't find bootstrap, it's not safe to reset Steam. Please contact technical support.
But after that I tried these

rm -rf ~/.steam
steam --reset
In the end of those I got the same error about bootstrap but I tried to open Steam and it started to update itself normally. After the update I'm on the same situation as in the beginning.

piper

#4 Post by piper »

In your

/home/username/.steam
folder, rename

steam.sh
and try again.

Bootstrap error is just steam reporting that it can't find the bootstrap is a safety measure to prevent steam from messing itself up worse than before.

If the above don';t work remove

/home/username/.steam
and start steam again

debiman

#5 Post by debiman »

piper wrote:Hopefully you installed steam from debian, and used dpkg --add-architecture i386
it seems OP did not addres these 2 important aspects.

steamproblem

#6 Post by steamproblem »

debiman wrote:
piper wrote:Hopefully you installed steam from debian, and used dpkg --add-architecture i386
it seems OP did not addres these 2 important aspects.
I installed it with Debian wiki instructions so yes, I installed Steam from Debian and I used

dpkg --add-architecture i386

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

https://flathub.org/apps/details/com.va ... ware.Steam?

The installation is bigger but at least it keeps your sources "clean" :mrgreen:
deadbang

piper

#8 Post by piper »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:https://flathub.org/apps/details/com.va ... ware.Steam?

The installation is bigger but at least it keeps your sources "clean"
I am not a fan of flatpak or snap (but why would my opinion matter on someone else's machine :mrgreen: )

As for sources, it's in debian, no need for other sources, that's where problems begin :P

apt policy steam
steam:i386:
  Installed: 1.0.0.56-1
  Candidate: 1.0.0.56-1
  Version table:
 *** 1.0.0.56-1 500
        500 http://10.10.10.3:3142/mirror.math.princeton.edu/pub/debian unstable/non-free i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
Wine is a different ballgame :)

deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/debian/ sid main
For the win :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Head_on_a_Stick

#9 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

piper wrote:As for sources, it's in debian
Ah, I see that you are an uncultured swine, my sincere condolences :mrgreen:

Steam is not available in the official Debian repositories, this is a plain fact.
deadbang

Head_on_a_Stick

#11 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

GarryRicketson wrote:what is this ? https://packages.debian.org/stretch/steam
That is a blob that is available from the non-free component of the Debian repositories, the software from that component does not conform to the Debian Free Software Guidelines and is consequently *not* considered to be part of the official Debian system.

This is why the non-free ISO images are called "unofficial" and also why the FSF won't classify Debian as "free" (as in speech) :wink:
deadbang

piper

#12 Post by piper »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
piper wrote:As for sources, it's in debian
Ah, I see that you are an uncultured swine, my sincere condolences :mrgreen:

Steam is not available in the official Debian repositories, this is a plain fact.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Damn, sorry, if your not up to date, or should I say this forum is not up to date

Debian does support non-free and has for awhile especially on the official IRC channels

If it didn't, people wouldn't be using debian as their OS.

New motherboards, cpus, wifi, networking, audio, I can go on, and a lot of the newer equipment need non-free full stop and every year, newer products, it will get worse

Anywho, thanks for the humour :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yes, proud to run sid & non-free for about 2 decades :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Head_on_a_Stick

#13 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

piper wrote:sorry, if your not up to date, or should I say this forum is not up to date

Debian does support non-free and has for awhile especially on the official IRC channels
I will concede that it may be true that some support is offered for non-free software but this is provided purely as a convenience and does not change Debian's official stance on software that is not compliant with the DFSG.
piper wrote:thanks for the humour
Thanks for seeing the funny side :mrgreen:
piper wrote:proud to run sid & non-free
Dirty boy! :shock:
deadbang

piper

#14 Post by piper »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
piper wrote:thanks for the humour
Thanks for seeing the funny side :mrgreen:
piper wrote:proud to run sid & non-free
Dirty boy! :shock:

Without humour, the world just doesn't work :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

dirty boy :shock: :shock: :shock:

debiman

#15 Post by debiman »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Dirty boy! :shock:
How can people be allowed to post this sort of insulting content here.
they think it's only a joke, but they're making us debian users look really bad.
i demand Head_on_a_Stick to be expelled immediately.
If the moderators of this site don't react, then the problem is bigger than I thought.

Head_on_a_Stick

#16 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

debiman wrote:How can people be allowed to post this sort of insulting content here.
It didn't seem to bother the recipient...
they think it's only a joke, but they're making us debian users look really bad.
My actions here are not intended to represent the community but I don't really give a crap, frankly :D
OK, fine, start a vote thread about my presence here, I will abide by the result.
If the moderators of this site don't react, then the problem is bigger than I thought.
Drama queen.
deadbang

piper

#17 Post by piper »

debiman wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Dirty boy! :shock:
How can people be allowed to post this sort of insulting content here.

Holy separation of concerns, Batman!

debiman, relax mate, no harm done

How does humour make debian users look bad ?

Did you know that debian users are human ?

Did you know that humans have humour ?

If you think any of this is insulting, your the reason this country has to put directions on shampoo.

Life is to short ... live a little ... here, have some humour ... or do you live in a country/society where that's not allowed.

The 2 of us gave advise, we had fun doing so, is that a crime ?

Does the humour violate Debian's DFSG Licenses ?

After all, humour is Free .. Free as in free beer and Free Software ... That mate, is good for debian

debiman

#18 Post by debiman »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Drama queen.
oh, you just did it again.
both your remarks reveal your deep-rooted genderism, i would even call it sexism. you know, males are this, females are that.
i wonder what Coraline would say?
i think i should inform them.

@piper: see here for context. i'm holding up a mirror for HoaS.

Head_on_a_Stick

#19 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

debiman wrote:oh, you just did it again
I fear you have mistaken me for somebody who actually cares :mrgreen:

Please stop derailing this thread with your noise, go bother some n00bs over at LQ or something... :roll:
deadbang

piper

#20 Post by piper »

debiman wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Drama queen.
oh, you just did it again.
both your remarks reveal your deep-rooted genderism, i would even call it sexism. you know, males are this, females are that.
i wonder what Coraline would say?
i think i should inform them.

@piper: see here for context. i'm holding up a mirror for HoaS.
debiman, I have enjoyed debian sid for a very long time, I could give 2 shits about politics/policy/etc, I am too old for that crap and don't want to be involved.

Words are just that, I was raised that there is no such thing as a swear word, that there is however, a time and place and age when to use those words, if words hurt a person, a person that knows words are going to hurt them, that person shouldn't be in that discussion/conversation/thread/ full stop. But, many do to just start crap and complain

So please, don't include me by giving me links to crap that I give 2 shits about

Helping users is the only reason I stop here, my humour gets me in trouble, personally, I don't give a crap with that either, 12 grandchildren and really nothing bothers me, nor really something I haven't seen or heard before, sometimes I do get surprised, but, those are usually from grown-ups.

This place is for support, I will help anybody I can, including non-free, if someone has a problem with that, they don't have to read it, if it becomes a bigger problem, I move on, (I am a nobody) crap happens, there are better forums for debian.

Hopefully, I didn't offend anyone