Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Video lag. drivers?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Pete/b

[SOLVED] Video lag. drivers?

#1 Post by Pete/b »

Hello im new to Linux i recently installed Debian 9 on my pc it's a hp dx2250 micro tower i don't no how to make videos play better do I have to install graphic card driver's? it has integrated ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 graphics card any advice would be great. Thanks
Last edited by Pete/b on 2018-11-27 18:20, edited 1 time in total.

stevepusser

Re: Video lag. drivers?

#2 Post by stevepusser »

The free drivers for AMD still also require firmware-amd-graphics, not included in the default installation: https://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo
MX Linux packager and developer

Pete/b

#3 Post by Pete/b »

Ok I will follow the installation part and see what happens. Thanks

Pete/b

#4 Post by Pete/b »

I tried the installation and had no luck how do I Add "contrib" and "non-free" components to /etc/apt/sources.list

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Pete/b wrote:how do I Add "contrib" and "non-free" components to /etc/apt/sources.list

Code: Select all

# apt edit-sources
The nano editor is the best for n00bs:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Nano/Basics_Guide
deadbang

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

If you just need one firmware package from non-free, it's usually faster (since you don't have to mess with adding the repo and updating apt) just to directly download download it from packages.debian.org from the download link near the bottom of the page, then install it in the terminal as root or with sudo with

Code: Select all

dpkg -i <name-of-deb-file>
This often helps for those that need firmware just to get a connection to the Net, too.

kevinthefixer

#7 Post by kevinthefixer »

Pete, another point--what sort of video are you trying to play? If you can play, say, mp4s from your hard drive or DVDs but not YouTube, the problem may well be your network connection. If so, the best video card in the world with the greatest drivers and firmware won't make the video work well.

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

Or you could also install inxi and report the output of "inxi -Fxz" in the terminal so we can see what your hardware and driver situation is.

Pete/b

#9 Post by Pete/b »

Thanks Steve I installed the package with sudo dpkg -i Thanks for the help. My next challenge is getting my usb WiFi dongle working.

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

Pete/b wrote:Thanks Steve I installed the package with sudo dpkg -i Thanks for the help. My next challenge is getting my usb WiFi dongle working.
Most of those just need the proper non-free firmware, except for those pesky weird Realteks that don't have drivers in the kernel. What does "lsusb" (list USB devices) report after you run it in the terminal? (But start a separate thread for that.)