Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing system on SataRAID volume

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
mrrfh

Installing system on SataRAID volume

#1 Post by mrrfh »

Hello,
I'mm trying to install Debian on SataRaid volume created in my ASROCK Z270 Pro4 UEFI.
I'm following this guide https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/SataRaid
Everything goes fine until point 11 of the guide.
10. Choose the first /dev/dm-? (? is a number). You will get a command prompt.
But I have no /dev/dm- device in the list. If I start console without setting systemrooot, ls /dev/dm* show me /dev/dm-0. Hous of googling gave me nothing.
Can someone help on the issue? Maybe something have changed since the guide was written? Or my ASROCK Z270 Pro4 UEFI not supported?

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Installing system on SataRAID volume

#2 Post by p.H »

mrrfh wrote:I'mm trying to install Debian on SataRaid
Why ? fakeRAID sucks, it is strongly advised to not use it if you can avoid it and use native Linux RAID instead.
mrrfh wrote:But I have no /dev/dm- device in the list.
Maybe the fakeRAID device is shown with another (fancy) name. Are there any device names other than the usual /dev/sd*, /dev/mmcblk* or /dev/nvme* ?
How did you partition the fakeRAID device during installation ?
mrrfh wrote:If I start console without setting systemrooot, ls /dev/dm* show me /dev/dm-0
Symlinks with fancier names pointing to /dev/-dm* devices nodes are present in /dev/mapper.
What the rescue mode does is just basically a chroot on the root device. So if you know what the root device is, you can chroot into it from the default shell, mount anything required (/dev, /proc, /sys and anything useful in /etc/fstab) and proceed with the actions.