Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

wifi driver

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Pete/b

Re: wifi driver

#16 Post by Pete/b »

ok i have followed the instructions on the git hub page i can now select a network but it shows no available networks what now?

OSBuildX

#17 Post by OSBuildX »

Hmm, debian 9.x.0 installer actually screws this thing up and puts the adapted to sleep while it shutdown after installation for some reason with the non-free firmware is of course needed.

Easiest way to fix it seemed to be reboot, bios/efi and put network adapter pxe/boot up once and reboot again and seems to work miracles after.

-edit-

o yeah, and seems to affect 64-bit systems only (with 9.6.0 + non-free).

stevepusser

#18 Post by stevepusser »

OSBuildX wrote:Hmm, debian 9.x.0 installer actually screws this thing up and puts the adapted to sleep while it shutdown after installation for some reason with the non-free firmware is of course needed.

Easiest way to fix it seemed to be reboot, bios/efi and put network adapter pxe/boot up once and reboot again and seems to work miracles after.

-edit-

o yeah, and seems to affect 64-bit systems only (with 9.6.0 + non-free).
Reading this and trying to relate it to the thread is like relapsing to the fever dreams I suffered for a few nights this week..
MX Linux packager and developer

OSBuildX

#19 Post by OSBuildX »

stevepusser wrote:Reading this and trying to relate it to the thread is like relapsing to the fever dreams I suffered for a few nights this week..
Well, sorry not a linux nerd came from the dark side

Just fighting with this same issue here. Only solution/way I got the NIC to raise back up was to boot with network, wlan was working just ok with 4.9.0-8-amd64 hd-media kernel and 9.6+nonfree firmware iso through install.

stevepusser

#20 Post by stevepusser »

Are you talking about the exact same Mediatek mt-7612U wi-fi hardware that the OP hardware has, that we know already has no ready kernel driver and doesn't need any separate firmware package if you have to build that source yourself? If so, I can't make sense of what you're trying to say here.
MX Linux packager and developer

Pete/b

#21 Post by Pete/b »

Thanks for the help so far Steve i haven't got a clue what OSBuildX is talking about