Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

New to debian 9.6.0

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
KD8RFO

New to debian 9.6.0

#1 Post by KD8RFO »

I would like to install additional backgrounds for my desktop. I also don't understand how to install windows programs and my username not found in sudoers file.
Additionally I have a program with a tgz file and can't get it installed as well.
Thanks for understanding. I completely wiped win 10 from my laptop and installed debian 9.6. because of the smaller footprint on my machine.
My machine is an HP Pavilion 15 with an i3 dual core 8gb memory and a 1tb hard drive. :?

fred44nl

Re: New to debian 9.6.0

#2 Post by fred44nl »

in orders to make yourself a sudoer, you have to add yourself to sudo:
- open Terminal and type the command "su" (without the quotes).
- enter the root password
- enter the command "usermod -aG sudo <your username>" (without the quotes)
- check the group-file "cat /etc/group | grep sudo" (without the quotes)
- now reboot

in order to install and run windows programs, you will need VirtualBox
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

if you want to install a program in Linux, you should use "sudo apt-get install program"
Debian 10 - Buster on Compulab Fitlet2
Debian 12 - Bookworm on Acer Spin 1

KD8RFO

#3 Post by KD8RFO »

Thanks will give it a try.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Tgz files are an archive format like zip--there can be anything in it. You must provide more information.

Debian is also not the best distro for beginners if they can't do a simple web search on how to add themselves to the sudoers files. This sounds a bit harsh, but it's plain hard truth.
MX Linux packager and developer

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#5 Post by None1975 »

Hello. Here The Debian Administrator's Handbook. It's a fantastic resource for all users of a Debian-based distribution. Accessible to all, this book teaches the essentials to anyone who wants to become an effective and independent Debian GNU/Linux administrator.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

Many Windows programs, but by no means all, can run in Linux by using Wine. I like using "Space Engine", since it has no good Linux equivalent and is a good test how my Wine system and Bumblebee are working, since it won't run on Intel graphics.
MX Linux packager and developer

kevinthefixer

#7 Post by kevinthefixer »

Maybe a bit OT, but I've never found an audio editor that I like anywhere near as well as Cool Edit 2000, a Windows program I bought back then. It won't run on current Windows anymore, but will on WINE under Stretch. Nothing like it for digitizing vinyl; can be done with Audacity but not as well and much more laborious.