Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

hd-media/netinst, ntfs-3g not loaded.

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
OSBuildX

hd-media/netinst, ntfs-3g not loaded.

#1 Post by OSBuildX »

Hmm, wonder why is it, if installing debian stretch 64-bit, offline from grub 2.02 with hd-media as kernel/initrd:

Code: Select all

linux /vmlinuz fromiso=/debian-9.6.0-amd64-netinst.iso
initrd /initrd.gz
netinst iso doesn't load ntfs-3g driver to system? instead you end up with read-only ntfs driver.

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

Re: hd-media/netinst, ntfs-3g not loaded.

#2 Post by 4D696B65 »

OSBuildX

#3 Post by OSBuildX »

No as installing system is offline.
Yes, I got the .udeb package at CD and .deb from link

After that I had issue with fuse and libfuse2 udeb/deb not installing as ntfs-3g says it depends libc6, libfuse2 and fuse.

-edit-

hmm, this works after install:

Code: Select all

apt install ./fuse_2.9.7-1+deb9u2_amd64.deb
apt install ./libntfs-3g871_2016.2.22AR.1+dfsg-1_amd64.deb
apt install ./ntfs-3g_2016.2.22AR.1+dfsg-1_amd64.deb
but it ain't much helping.

-edit-

wireless-tools package seems to be missing too.

llivv

#4 Post by llivv »

using hd-media to connect to a netinst.iso stored on the disk will give you what the netinst.iso has in the iso file
netinst.iso has network drivers to get you online so you can download packages from mirrors

you need to boot hd-media and connect to a larger iso file if you want more packages available for installing offline.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

OSBuildX

#5 Post by OSBuildX »

llivv wrote:using hd-media to connect to a netinst.iso stored on the disk will give you what the netinst.iso has in the iso file
netinst.iso has network drivers to get you online so you can download packages from mirrors

you need to boot hd-media and connect to a larger iso file if you want more packages available for installing offline.
Why would you say that as hd-media busybox and netinst.iso referred does have ntfs-3g udeb including missing wireless-tools and fuse has nothing to do with installation media used. You will still end up with no ntfs-3g even if you use debian hybrid iso with kde on it offline.

It's a bug in installation process somewhere.

bw123

#6 Post by bw123 »

ntfs-3g has a predepends on fuse pkg. AFAICT this isn't default on anything except gnome.
Last edited by bw123 on 2018-12-02 15:03, edited 1 time in total.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

llivv

#7 Post by llivv »

post links to the hd-media files and netinstall image
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

OSBuildX

#8 Post by OSBuildX »

bw123 wrote:ntfs-3g has a predepends on fuse pkg. AFAICT this isn't default on anything except gnome.
Not using GUI, why wouldn't ntfs-3g be default? It's default for installation stage or does the system expect that when installation ends magically things work differently as how it was working at installation stage?
llivv wrote:post links to the hd-media files and netinstall image
yeah, ntfs-3g and fuse udeb's are present at hd-media and netinst iso images.

bw123

#9 Post by bw123 »

I cannot say exactly "why" ntfs-3g isn't default, but I'd think it might have something to do with it being proprietary fs developed by microsoft? The installer claims to suport it, so maybe if you setup an ntfs partition during install it drags in the ntfs-3g pkg? .udebs are only for installer environment, AFAIK. It might be a leftover policy from people misuing it and trashing their windows system accidentally when dual booting? The native kernel driver is read only and this seems to be a sane default to me.

I hope virtual fs and ntfs-3g doesn't become default on debian. I don't like this crap, and only install support when I need it. Works fine.
...does the system expect that when installation ends magically things work differently as how it was working at installation stage?
Nothing magic about it, yeah the system has to be setup after install. What do you want or expect, windows? Does windows installer setup ext4 support for you or what?
resigned by AI ChatGPT