Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to mount disk without root psw NEVER AND FOREVER.

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
leondante

How to mount disk without root psw NEVER AND FOREVER.

#1 Post by leondante »

Hello. Yes, is a stupid question, but I've been looking for this long enough to be really tired and to beg PLEASE HELP ME. I don't know where is still another place to look for info about this.

I want to put a simple USB drive into my PC and be able to mount that sthing, write on it and take it out safely without having to put the freaking roooooot password.

I'm tired of it, I work with different pen drives all the time. :c

Please, I beg you, halp me. :c :c :c

I have Debian 9.5 and tried some solutions by dconf, but didn't solved it.

Thank you for your patience and for any help.

bw123

Re: How to mount disk without root psw NEVER AND FOREVER.

#2 Post by bw123 »

There are probably several good solutions that will work for you. There are some apps like pmount, usbmount, and udiskie, also I think I rememeber a universal automount thing, like uam. They probably all have different instructions. I've read a lot about udev rules, but because I only have a few devices I really don't need to mess with it. Also, I'm sure some desktop environments take careof this for you. They all have different GUI dialogs.

For myself, I just put the usb partitions in /etc/fstab and add myself to the 'users' group. Seems to be a very robust solution that works on all setups.

Code: Select all

UUID=XXXX-XXXX /media/flash/whatever vfat rw,users,noauto 0 0
That is the simplest. You can make it more complicated. Try it like that, then after awhile try some different options and read some man pages.

UUID=XXXX-XXXX /media/flash/whatever vfat rw,users,nofail,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.idle-timeout=3 0 0
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

For a less restrictive option try user rather than users, this allows anybody to mount (and `umount`) the drive.

Note that nofail & noauto are needed to avoid boot delays if the device is not plugged in at that time.

This seems to work for my normal user:

# /etc/fstab
UUID=8296-FDB9 /mnt vfat rw,user,nofail,noauto 0 0
The UUID was taken from the output of the `blkid` command (with the device plugged in).
deadbang

leondante

#4 Post by leondante »

Thanks for the info. The thing is that I use different drives frequently, that are not mine, so the UUID changes with each one. I started with these steps for mine but still the issue is there with other ones from other people. I use to connect SATA drives from other computers into a bay I have. And there is the main annoying issue.

bw123

#5 Post by bw123 »

If you are using udisks2 with policykit, it looks like members of 'admin' group would not need a password?
/usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.udisks2.policy
resigned by AI ChatGPT

leondante

#6 Post by leondante »

bw123 wrote:If you are using udisks2 with policykit, it looks like members of 'admin' group would not need a password?
/usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.udisks2.policy
Hello and THANK YOU. That hell of file was what I was looking for.

I don't want to put my common user into the 'admin' group, but to mount filesystems without a password when plugging some kind of drive or wanting to umount it. By now is working pretty well. I changed this, which it was in EVERYTHING at that file:

<allow_any>auth_admin</allow_any>
<allow_inactive>auth_admin</allow_inactive>
<allow_active>auth_admin</allow_active>

To this, in the proper places:

<allow_any>auth_admin</allow_any>
<allow_inactive>auth_admin</allow_inactive>
<allow_active>yes</allow_active>

THANK YOU again and happy 2019 year!