Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Could not boot /lib/systemd/systemend-udevd:

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
maxmoon

Could not boot /lib/systemd/systemend-udevd:

#1 Post by maxmoon »

Howdy,

I have a 64-bit intel i-7 with 8.00 ram running both windows 10 and Debian 9.1 Stretch. Windows is working just fine (it seems), but Debian is not booting.

This is the message I've got after trying to boot.

I don't know what might have brought this. The last thing I did was to configure Japanese and Korean (ibus-mozc) + installing anki (and uninstalling) with all dependencies, of course.
-----------------------------------------------------------

/init : line 104: /lib/systemd/systemend-udevd/: No such file or directory.

dracut Warning: Could not boot.
dracut Warning: /dev/disk/by-uuid/53316990-ad65--4ca1-8175-d68cd28f82dd does not exist

Dropping to debug shell.

dracut:/#

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Could not boot /lib/systemd/systemend-udevd:

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

maxmoon wrote:installing anki (and uninstalling) with all dependencies
What is anki and how exactly did you install it? Is it the flashcard program?

Also, why is the initramfs built with dracut?
deadbang

maxmoon

#3 Post by maxmoon »

Hello, first of all thank you for your answer.

exactly, Anki is the flashcard thing. I first installed it with synaptic, then purged it with the terminal because the version was too old and wouldn't connect to the server. I was intent on downloading it from the website and then reinstalling it from terminal. I have remembered something likely more important. Before this install, I was asked by synaptic to remove broken packages which included a piece of kernel, to which I declined. Nothing would through afterwards, but I circumvented it by updating from terminal and then opening synaptic again - or so it seemed.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: Also, why is the initramfs built with dracut?
As for your question, I don't know how that happened.

Edit: according to synaptic, my system would possibly become unbootable after uninstalling that piece of kernel code, so of course I unchecked the box.

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

maxmoon wrote:Anki is the flashcard thing. I first installed it with synaptic, then purged it with the terminal because the version was too old and wouldn't connect to the server.
That package is only available from jessie-backports or sid.

Did you add some non-stretch repositories?
maxmoon wrote:according to synaptic, my system would possibly become unbootable after uninstalling that piece of kernel code, so of course I unchecked the box.
I don't really follow this, sorry, please explain in more detail.

The dracut package builds a more minimal initfamfs than Debian's stock method, you may have to chroot into your system and rebuild the initramfs without dracut (or get dracut working).
deadbang

maxmoon

#6 Post by maxmoon »

Thank you all for your replies. I followed the instruction sent in the link and with a little bit of help it has finally worked.

Edit (adding info, fixing quotes).
Head_on_a_Stick wrote: That package is only available from jessie-backports or sid.
Thanks for telling me that.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote: Did you add some non-stretch repositories?
Yes, I did. That was the problem I guess. I checked my sources to avoid that kind of problem in the future.

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

maxmoon wrote:I followed the instruction sent in the link and with a little bit of help it has finally worked.
Good news indeed :)

Please share the full details of your actual solution and also add [SOLVED] to the thread title to help others, thanks!
deadbang