Best Laptop for Debian

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Re: Best Laptop for Debian

Postby zerubbabel » 2018-12-05 07:53

I've been running a Debian-based system on Dell Latitude laptops for the past ten years or so, with no significant issues. The Latitude series are their business line, and are a higher grade than their Inspiron home-computing line.
zerubbabel

Postby Hallvor » 2018-12-05 09:17

Intel CPU with Intel graphics and Intel wifi has not failed me yet.

Do not buy brand new stuff. The kernel always lags behind in supporting the latest hardware. I usually buy computers that are a couple of years old for a very good price, and I know all hardware will be fully supported.
HP Elitebook 2570p, Intel Core i5 3320-M CPU @ 2.60 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Intel HD 4000 graphics, 240 GB SSD, Debian Stretch (KDE)
Hallvor

Postby pylkko » 2018-12-05 10:34

if the main purpose is to do physics simulations on Octave, then how about buying a lightweight, low performace and easy to carry laptop with 12+ hour battery and running the simulations on some kind of server/cloud platform remotely from the laptop. If you are a student at a school, you may already have such a service available for you. If not, you can rent compute time and it is not that expensive. This way you can probably get way better performance. Presuming that the simulations are high performance computations, not simulating a dropping ball in a vacuum or similar.

Also, when you say that size doesn't matter and batter also doesn't. It sounds like you wont be carrying the laptop that much. If so, then realize that the processors that are available for laptops are mostly not the best with respect to performance.
pylkko

Postby kevinthefixer » 2018-12-16 01:00

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:And I've just noticed that ThinkPenguin charge $50 for "Operating System Installs" [sic], what a bunch of twats :x

Doesn't seem unreasonable to me. They are a small outfit, each OS install would have to be done manually. For the average, say, ubuntu user, 50 bucks to save a couple hours? BTW, off-topic but they once again have a LibreCMC router available although it's a mini with only one wired output port. Since I need 3 I got a cheap switch to go with it.

It strikes me that our OP is going about this whole business bass-ackwards. Decide what you need to do with a computer first, well, he seems to have that down. Then decide what hardware and software is necessary to do that. Then finally decide what OS will best support that hardware/software. In this case, a laptop may not be the best choice; the only real advantage to a laptop is portability and this seems not to be a priority. (if it really does need to be a laptop, even my 2012 model Dell 13" E4300 should pull this duty.) And is Debian the best choice? Does buying a laptop because it's easy to run Debian on it make any sense? For an experienced Linux user nearly any mainline machine can be used with Debian comfortably (with the exception of the absolute latest as others have already pointed out). But Debian is geared toward experienced users, not beginners!
kevinthefixer

Best laptop for debian?

Postby ferfykins » 2019-01-07 23:01

Interested in learning debian, so i was thinking about getting a laptop for it. Problem is i hear most laptops have problems with it. So i was wondering if anyone knows of a good option for me, that is compatible with debian well....
Preferably something with decent specs 4+gigs of ram, dual core processor or better, etc
Also, must have a wireless card.

/e forgot to mention i'm looking for something that is less then 500$
Last edited by ferfykins on 2019-01-08 00:04, edited 1 time in total.
ferfykins

Re: Best laptop for debian?

Postby stevepusser » 2019-01-07 23:26

You hear wrong. Most people don't have any trouble with laptops of 2017 or older if they read the instructions and make sure to have the firmware, firmware ISO, or a wired connection handy.

You are getting a biased view of the problems since most successful users don't bother to post.

Lenovos have a very good reputation. Acers are also very good in my experience, except for tweaks necessary in the BIOS setup lately. I also have a new powerful 2018 MSI GP63 RD running just awesome with MX 18, but that'll need a lot of backports in Debian Stretch to work right.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Flightgear 2018.2.2, 4.19.13 kernel, wine-staging 4.0~rc4, Stellarium 0.18.3, VLC 3.0.5, Midori 7.0
stevepusser

Re: Best laptop for debian?

Postby GarryRicketson » 2019-01-08 00:19

This topic looked just like this other one, Best Laptop for Debian

I don't see why we need to have another topic on the same subject ?

Forum guidelines. Please read before first post!

Please Read.. What we expect you have already Done

what laptops and hardware is supported by Debian
First 2 hits: https://wiki.debian.org/Hardware
and
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch02s01.html.en
As for best , that is really a matter of opinion, personally I like HP, I have several, never paid over $100 for any of them, and had No problems installing Debian to them.
I would avoid ASUS, they are junk.
GarryRicketson

Postby esp7 » 2019-01-11 18:59

I am a Thinkpad guy...
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU - 8GB RAM - 250GB SSD - Debian stable
esp7

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions