Best Laptop for Debian

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Re: Best Laptop for Debian

Postby zerubbabel » 2018-12-05 07:53

I've been running a Debian-based system on Dell Latitude laptops for the past ten years or so, with no significant issues. The Latitude series are their business line, and are a higher grade than their Inspiron home-computing line.
zerubbabel
 
Posts: 29
Joined: 2017-08-30 21:09

Re: Best Laptop for Debian

Postby Hallvor » 2018-12-05 09:17

Intel CPU with Intel graphics and Intel wifi has not failed me yet.

Do not buy brand new stuff. The kernel always lags behind in supporting the latest hardware. I usually buy computers that are a couple of years old for a very good price, and I know all hardware will be fully supported.
Lenovo Thinkpad T440S, Intel Core i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, Debian Buster (KDE)
User avatar
Hallvor
 
Posts: 927
Joined: 2009-04-16 18:35
Location: Norway

Re: Best Laptop for Debian

Postby pylkko » 2018-12-05 10:34

if the main purpose is to do physics simulations on Octave, then how about buying a lightweight, low performace and easy to carry laptop with 12+ hour battery and running the simulations on some kind of server/cloud platform remotely from the laptop. If you are a student at a school, you may already have such a service available for you. If not, you can rent compute time and it is not that expensive. This way you can probably get way better performance. Presuming that the simulations are high performance computations, not simulating a dropping ball in a vacuum or similar.

Also, when you say that size doesn't matter and batter also doesn't. It sounds like you wont be carrying the laptop that much. If so, then realize that the processors that are available for laptops are mostly not the best with respect to performance.
User avatar
pylkko
 
Posts: 1526
Joined: 2014-11-06 19:02

Re: Best Laptop for Debian

Postby kevinthefixer » 2018-12-16 01:00

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:And I've just noticed that ThinkPenguin charge $50 for "Operating System Installs" [sic], what a bunch of twats :x

Doesn't seem unreasonable to me. They are a small outfit, each OS install would have to be done manually. For the average, say, ubuntu user, 50 bucks to save a couple hours? BTW, off-topic but they once again have a LibreCMC router available although it's a mini with only one wired output port. Since I need 3 I got a cheap switch to go with it.

It strikes me that our OP is going about this whole business bass-ackwards. Decide what you need to do with a computer first, well, he seems to have that down. Then decide what hardware and software is necessary to do that. Then finally decide what OS will best support that hardware/software. In this case, a laptop may not be the best choice; the only real advantage to a laptop is portability and this seems not to be a priority. (if it really does need to be a laptop, even my 2012 model Dell 13" E4300 should pull this duty.) And is Debian the best choice? Does buying a laptop because it's easy to run Debian on it make any sense? For an experienced Linux user nearly any mainline machine can be used with Debian comfortably (with the exception of the absolute latest as others have already pointed out). But Debian is geared toward experienced users, not beginners!
kevinthefixer
 
Posts: 188
Joined: 2018-05-05 22:30

Best laptop for debian?

Postby ferfykins » 2019-01-07 23:01

Interested in learning debian, so i was thinking about getting a laptop for it. Problem is i hear most laptops have problems with it. So i was wondering if anyone knows of a good option for me, that is compatible with debian well....
Preferably something with decent specs 4+gigs of ram, dual core processor or better, etc
Also, must have a wireless card.


/e forgot to mention i'm looking for something that is less then 500$
Last edited by ferfykins on 2019-01-08 00:04, edited 1 time in total.
ferfykins
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 2019-01-07 22:59

Re: Best laptop for debian?

Postby stevepusser » 2019-01-07 23:26

You hear wrong. Most people don't have any trouble with laptops of 2017 or older if they read the instructions and make sure to have the firmware, firmware ISO, or a wired connection handy.

You are getting a biased view of the problems since most successful users don't bother to post.

Lenovos have a very good reputation. Acers are also very good in my experience, except for tweaks necessary in the BIOS setup lately. I also have a new powerful 2018 MSI GP63 RD running just awesome with MX 18, but that'll need a lot of backports in Debian Stretch to work right.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Foliate 1.5.3, Minitube 3.1, wine-staging 4.14, Virtual Box 5.2.32 & 6.0.10, Pale Moon 28.6.1, Waterfox 56.2.13
User avatar
stevepusser
 
Posts: 11032
Joined: 2009-10-06 05:53

Re: Best laptop for debian?

Postby GarryRicketson » 2019-01-08 00:19

This topic looked just like this other one, Best Laptop for Debian

I don't see why we need to have another topic on the same subject ?

Forum guidelines. Please read before first post!

Please Read.. What we expect you have already Done

what laptops and hardware is supported by Debian
First 2 hits: https://wiki.debian.org/Hardware
and
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch02s01.html.en
As for best , that is really a matter of opinion, personally I like HP, I have several, never paid over $100 for any of them, and had No problems installing Debian to them.
I would avoid ASUS, they are junk.
User avatar
GarryRicketson
 
Posts: 5877
Joined: 2015-01-20 22:16
Location: Durango, Mexico

Re: Best Laptop for Debian

Postby esp7 » 2019-01-11 18:59

I am a Thinkpad guy...
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian Stable - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian Stable - ME_cleaned
User avatar
esp7
 
Posts: 143
Joined: 2013-06-23 20:31

Re: Best Laptop for Debian

Postby nemanja » 2019-06-26 07:08

Hello everyone again,

In the end I decided to buy the following laptop: Lenovo V330-15 (15.60", Full HD, Intel Core i7-8550U, 20GB, SSD). This one was suggested by the friend of mine, who told me that the best is to chose a computer with as many Intel components as possible, due to the compatibility.

As I am now about to join the Debian family, I would like to ask you about which Debian should I choose in respect to the processor architecture? What I found is that Intel i7 processor has x86-64 architecture, which was initially developed by AMD but is used by Intel as well.

I did a search myself, and what I did found is that the "amd64" is recommended for this computer. If this is true, could anyone briefly explain to me why isn't there something like "intel64" version of Debian? I am confused at the moment, because I was initially told to choose only Intel components, and now I see that an AMD product is recommended. Could anyone please clarify me this?

Thanks!
Nemanja
nemanja
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 2018-12-03 18:35

Re: Best Laptop for Debian

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2019-06-26 08:54

Yes, amd64 arch is what you're looking for. It is named so because AMD is the first one to invent it. It is basically both AMD and Intel 64-bit arch.
nemanja wrote: because I was initially told to choose only Intel components, and now I see that an AMD product is recommended.

AMD is recommend now because they made their graphics stack and drivers open-source. AMD's APU's are more powerful than Intel's iGPU CPU's, but they also consume more power.
In the end, you chose a good laptop, Intel has solid open-souce drivers and they are working on new one now.
Choose Buster, it is about to be released in a couple of weeks.
https://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdima ... 64/iso-cd/
Wheelerof4te
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: 2015-08-30 20:14

Re: Best Laptop for Debian

Postby stevepusser » 2019-06-26 17:47

You will also need some non-free firmware to make sure Intel hardware runs correctly. Debian's default ISOs don't include it, but a simple web search will turn up the Debian ISOs that do include it. You will need firmware-misc-nonfree, intel-microcode for processor security fixes, and firmware-iwlwifi for Intel wi-fi chipsets.

You may also want to turn off hyperthreading for security reasons. You might be able to do that in the BIOS, or there is a script that can do it: https://github.com/damentz/smt-manager
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Foliate 1.5.3, Minitube 3.1, wine-staging 4.14, Virtual Box 5.2.32 & 6.0.10, Pale Moon 28.6.1, Waterfox 56.2.13
User avatar
stevepusser
 
Posts: 11032
Joined: 2009-10-06 05:53

Re: Best Laptop for Debian

Postby nemanja » 2019-07-04 07:28

Wheelerof4te wrote:Yes, amd64 arch is what you're looking for. It is named so because AMD is the first one to invent it. It is basically both AMD and Intel 64-bit arch.
nemanja wrote: because I was initially told to choose only Intel components, and now I see that an AMD product is recommended.

AMD is recommend now because they made their graphics stack and drivers open-source. AMD's APU's are more powerful than Intel's iGPU CPU's, but they also consume more power.
In the end, you chose a good laptop, Intel has solid open-souce drivers and they are working on new one now.
Choose Buster, it is about to be released in a couple of weeks.
https://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdima ... 64/iso-cd/



Thank you very much!
nemanja
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 2018-12-03 18:35

Re: Best Laptop for Debian

Postby nemanja » 2019-07-04 07:31

stevepusser wrote:You will also need some non-free firmware to make sure Intel hardware runs correctly. Debian's default ISOs don't include it, but a simple web search will turn up the Debian ISOs that do include it. You will need firmware-misc-nonfree, intel-microcode for processor security fixes, and firmware-iwlwifi for Intel wi-fi chipsets.

You may also want to turn off hyperthreading for security reasons. You might be able to do that in the BIOS, or there is a script that can do it: https://github.com/damentz/smt-manager



Thanks a lot! I will keep this in mind, however, during the initial learning period I will skip it, until I become fluent with all the details.
nemanja
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 2018-12-03 18:35

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

fashionable