Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

only in debian: can't use 5 digit UTF characters

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
nonexistent_entity

only in debian: can't use 5 digit UTF characters

#1 Post by nonexistent_entity »

I'm posting in Beginners Questions because I can't figure out where to put this post. New to Debian but not Linux.

I have Debian, Fedora and Linux Mint Cinnamon installed on 6 partitions on my SSD, each with a separate root and home partition. The Fedora and Debian home partitions are filled with links to what's in the Mint home partition.

I'm using zsh and oh-my-zsh and have recently switched to POWERLEVEL9K from Powerline fonts. I put the HAMMER AND WRENCH character, UTF-8 1F6E0, in my zsh prompt. It works fine in Mint and Fedora29, as well as in Antergos on another machine, but in Debian I just get the box with 1F6E0 in it. Four digit UTF-8 characters work OK in Debian, so in Debian I can use the HAMMER AND PICK character instead, UTF-8 2692 (that's hex).

Everything pertaining to zsh and oh-my-zsh in my Debian home directory are just links to my Mint home directory.

Yes, I've run
  • fc-cache -vf ~/.fonts
and I've run it more than once.

What's wrong in Debian but not in other distros? TNX.