Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

PostfixAndSASL: Is relayhost mandatory?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
dun

PostfixAndSASL: Is relayhost mandatory?

#1 Post by dun »

Hi, I'm currently trying to setup SMTP-Auth. This is the first time I'm setting up a mail server and it's pretty confusing but I guess I have a PostFix and SASL setup (telnet returns multiple lines with 250- as prefix so I guess it's working).
But now I'm stuck at the last chapter of the PostfixAndSASL article. It looks like I'm supposed to add a user but I don't understand why I should add a subdomain of Yahoo as a relay. Is it just an example? Can I ignore it or do I have to enter an other relay? How could I just add an user for the SMTP without a relay?

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: PostfixAndSASL: Is relayhost mandatory?

#2 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

SMTP client
That's for sending mail, not receiving.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

dun

#3 Post by dun »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:
SMTP client
Oh thanks for pointing that out. But they completely skipped the part of adding a user or am I overseeing it?

reinob

#4 Post by reinob »

dun wrote:
dilberts_left_nut wrote:
SMTP client
Oh thanks for pointing that out. But they completely skipped the part of adding a user or am I overseeing it?
What do you mean?

If you want your postfix server to relay e-mails to another server (in the example you cited, a yahoo server), then you need to have a user/password from there (e.g. yahoo).

I guess you need to go one or two steps back and ask what you want to have..