Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Meaning of /nfs in exports file

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
epergrem

Meaning of /nfs in exports file

#1 Post by epergrem »

Recently got a Raspberry Pi and attempting to access a WD My Book Live Duo through My Media. The NAS is accessible through the File Manager, but My Media requires that a path.

I can do all of that and when I issue mount -a, My Media finds the path without issue. The problem is on reboot, the path no longer shows up.

I'm still hitting the Internet, but have a question that isn't related to my above problem. The exports file on the NAS has following line:

# Use guest user (uid 500) for nfs guest. This is restricted from private
# shares by trustees.
/nfs *(rw,all_squash,sync,no_subtree_check,insecure,annonuid=500,anongid=1000)

I can figure out the parameters, but can't find any reference on the Internet to what /nfs and * does.

Thanks,
Ernie

llivv

Re: Meaning of /nfs in exports file

#2 Post by llivv »

probably best to ask WD as trustee

trying to put this in layman terms

it's a mount point

the * means everything else that goes between the mount point and the mounting options that you see in the parenthesis after the *

To make the mount persistent across reboot you have to learn how that is done at raspberrypi unless someone else here knows how.

WD may not support nfs
to the point it may void the warranty if you brick it.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

epergrem

#3 Post by epergrem »

Thanks for the help. Looks like I'm going to do some reading up on mount points. :-)

The text that I posted is from the WD My Book LIve Duo exports file, so I think that I'm okay from that side. The WD contains Debian 5.0 although I probably should skip updating it, because that may brick the NAS.

Ernie

kevinthefixer

#4 Post by kevinthefixer »

epergrem wrote:The WD contains Debian 5.0 although I probably should skip updating it, because that may brick the NAS.Ernie
If it's working you should skip updating it, although you might check if WD has released an update. If you're using your RPi with the Foundation's Raspian OS, it handles mount points exactly like Debian Stretch because it is Debian Stretch with their modified version of LXDE.

Code: Select all

man fstab

epergrem

#5 Post by epergrem »

Thanks for the advice.

For now it all works, so I'm leaving well enough long. Long range I'll swap out the WD for a newer model or a Synology. The WD I have uses a PPC chip, so it's fairly limited.

Ernie