Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Security in Debian.

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
jibberjabber

Re: Security in Debian.

#21 Post by jibberjabber »

The topic is kind of interesting, some interesting statements come out:
by noviceDebian » 2018-12-21 04:43---They let me know on social media, not on Facebook(I don't use it), but YouTube and Twitter.

Answering your question about "why":

1. Power Play
2. Make a caricature of me, so what I say can be discredited

I think the reason why they let me know that they know those things would be to exert their power over me, like they are all knowing and all powerful, and they are one step ahead of me, and they best me easily and I can't escape.

I wish I could tell you about what I write but doing so might let you connect dots to my other identity.
One really needs to be care full when these multiple identities get involved, indeed , sometimes it seems like one or several are all knowing and all powerful, and of course the most powerful one, "the other identity", will not let any other identity say things that might help "connect the dots". That is how they all ways stay one step ahead of the other identity, or in some cases plural, identities.
I try to stay away from people that have multi identities , they scare me , and even more so when they stop taking the meds they are suppose to be taking.
I had a friend with a similar problem, his "other identity " was getting to much control, it was doing things when he was sleeping, terrible things, I can not go into details here, but it included downloading images that he normally would not download, nor even look at. It (the other identity) all ways was one step ahead of him, he made new passwords ,etc, but it all ways knew them.
He insisted it was not him that downloaded the stuff, his wife divorced him because she saw some of the things. Later went into a rage, attacked me, accusing me of being responsible for all of his many problems.
So I distanced myself, I did keep praying for the guy though, it really was kind of sad, because on one side, he had a real nice identity, but the "other identity" was horrible, like some kind of demon or monster, a Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde sort of thing.
Months later, him and even his wife/family, showed up in church,...he told us what the deal was, and reported that he had stopped taking the meds that the doctors had ordered, and things went down hill from there on,... Any way , at least it all worked out ok, and the guy learned a lesson, he makes sure he takes the meds as prescribed, so now he is back, with 1 identity , and it is basically a normal person, no more mysterious downloads ,etc,...

bw123

#22 Post by bw123 »

yeah, right, like the movies on TV?
https://www.techworm.net/2016/03/10-bes ... t-now.html

I don't know man, life isn't this exciting for normal people? Nobody cares what you typed in your personal files? Nobody gives a crap what you post on youtube or facebook? Nobody would alter your audio balance and then tell you about it, it's like a jedi mind trick https://www.starwars.com/databank/jedi-mind-trick, but it's just a movie.

WTF, if you were that important you would have people to deal with security? I think the whole thread is insane, but PROVE me wrong.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

stevepusser

#23 Post by stevepusser »

The DNA cases that were mentioned refer to decades-old cold murder cases where the investigators had some DNA from the killer, but he never had supplied any to the criminal justice system, so they could not come up with a match. However, they then started looking for matches on online genomics websites where distant relatives of the killer might have uploaded their genomic information; after getting that, they then try to get common ancestors of the killer, then trace descendants that would match the killer's profile. After identifying those, they then try to get DNA that the suspect would discard on something like a cigarette butt or soft drink can, and then get a positive match with the killer's. The most famous case is that of the Golden State killer, at least here in California: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_State_Killer
MX Linux packager and developer

noviceDebian

#24 Post by noviceDebian »

jibberjabber wrote:The topic is kind of interesting, some interesting statements come out:

One really needs to be care full when these multiple identities get involved, indeed , sometimes it seems like one or several are all knowing and all powerful, and of course the most powerful one, "the other identity", will not let any other identity say things that might help "connect the dots". That is how they all ways stay one step ahead of the other identity, or in some cases plural, identities.
I try to stay away from people that have multi identities , they scare me , and even more so when they stop taking the meds they are suppose to be taking.
I had a friend with a similar problem, his "other identity " was getting to much control, it was doing things when he was sleeping, terrible things, I can not go into details here, but it included downloading images that he normally would not download, nor even look at. It (the other identity) all ways was one step ahead of him, he made new passwords ,etc, but it all ways knew them.
He insisted it was not him that downloaded the stuff, his wife divorced him because she saw some of the things. Later went into a rage, attacked me, accusing me of being responsible for all of his many problems.
So I distanced myself, I did keep praying for the guy though, it really was kind of sad, because on one side, he had a real nice identity, but the "other identity" was horrible, like some kind of demon or monster, a Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde sort of thing.
Months later, him and even his wife/family, showed up in church,...he told us what the deal was, and reported that he had stopped taking the meds that the doctors had ordered, and things went down hill from there on,... Any way , at least it all worked out ok, and the guy learned a lesson, he makes sure he takes the meds as prescribed, so now he is back, with 1 identity , and it is basically a normal person, no more mysterious downloads ,etc,...
When I wrote other identities, I meant my other online profiles on Twitter, other forums, etc, and I'm fully aware of them when I'm using this identity. For example, on Fedora Forums, you can find me as noviceFedora, this is one of my other identities. I know that I don't suffer from multiple personality disorder as you seem to be suggesting. I had no problem sharing about my identity on Fedora Forums because this and that deal with technical content, but my other identities have to deal with some other subject matter, so I'm not willing to give any hint at those.

noviceDebian

#25 Post by noviceDebian »

bw123 wrote:yeah, right, like the movies on TV?
https://www.techworm.net/2016/03/10-bes ... t-now.html

I don't know man, life isn't this exciting for normal people? Nobody cares what you typed in your personal files? Nobody gives a crap what you post on youtube or facebook? Nobody would alter your audio balance and then tell you about it, it's like a jedi mind trick https://www.starwars.com/databank/jedi-mind-trick, but it's just a movie.

WTF, if you were that important you would have people to deal with security? I think the whole thread is insane, but PROVE me wrong.
In the movie list you posted, I only watched Matrix and Live Free Or Die Hard, I don't even know the plots of other movies.

No one told me about the audio balance, I just experienced that audio output from left side was a lot more louder than from the right side, as I started exploring settings I found out that the audio balance was skewed. I do not have any Jedi powers. You can find my thread on Fedora Forums, where I asked if access to the module controlling audio balance would be logged somewhere.

Not all people can afford security, and even if I had control over most of the money, I do think it will get me security, because for those money doesn't mean anything.

I really can't think of a way of giving proof without giving hints to my other identities.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#26 Post by sunrat »

noviceDebian wrote:I really can't think of a way of giving proof without giving hints to my other identities.
So far you haven't posted any proof that your system is compromised. It's good to be wary but be careful the tinfoil hat doesn't squeeze your brain.
I once had a similar imbalance in relative stereo levels. Turned out one side of output was being sent left signal and the other side was being sent both left and right causing it to be 3dB louder. I never even considered someone hacked in and was messing with me. Most likely was a careless accidental click of a mute button. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

noviceDebian

#27 Post by noviceDebian »

sunrat wrote:
noviceDebian wrote:I really can't think of a way of giving proof without giving hints to my other identities.
So far you haven't posted any proof that your system is compromised. It's good to be wary but be careful the tinfoil hat doesn't squeeze your brain.
I once had a similar imbalance in relative stereo levels. Turned out one side of output was being sent left signal and the other side was being sent both left and right causing it to be 3dB louder. I never even considered someone hacked in and was messing with me. Most likely was a careless accidental click of a mute button. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor
What you presented is also a possibility but this audio imbalance happened after I emailed the customer care of the earphone company, that for me rules out the possibility of it being caused by a glitch. My earphones are not directly connected to the computer, they are connected via 2.1 speaker system, if I wanted to mute it, I would have decreased the volume or taken off the ear phones.

GarryRicketson

#28 Post by GarryRicketson »

Why not just give Debian a try, and see if it is any more secure then Fedora, and how long it stays that way ?
I would be more concerned with which browser I am using, even the most secure OS, is not going to be very secure if the browser has ways to get access to directories and files that one wants to keep "secret".
I don't know about Fedora, nor care really, but with Debian there are plenty of ways to set up encrypted directories, or partitions, where one can keep files,and etc. secure and safe, even a browser with malicious code embedded would have a hard time accessing a partition or directory that does not permit "others" to access in any way.

What precautions can I take while using Debian to protect it against malware infections?
I'm thinking of switching to Debian, is Debian more secure than most Linux distros like, Mint, SUSE, Fedora, Ubuntu, etc?
It all depends on how well you configure the system , a poorly configured system will not be very secure, no matter which OS you use.

stevepusser

#29 Post by stevepusser »

To answer your question about if Debian has secret backdoors, if we told you, they wouldn't be secret...

noviceDebian

#30 Post by noviceDebian »

GarryRicketson wrote:Why not just give Debian a try, and see if it is any more secure then Fedora, and how long it stays that way ?
I would be more concerned with which browser I am using, even the most secure OS, is not going to be very secure if the browser has ways to get access to directories and files that one wants to keep "secret".
I don't know about Fedora, nor care really, but with Debian there are plenty of ways to set up encrypted directories, or partitions, where one can keep files,and etc. secure and safe, even a browser with malicious code embedded would have a hard time accessing a partition or directory that does not permit "others" to access in any way.

What precautions can I take while using Debian to protect it against malware infections?
I'm thinking of switching to Debian, is Debian more secure than most Linux distros like, Mint, SUSE, Fedora, Ubuntu, etc?
It all depends on how well you configure the system , a poorly configured system will not be very secure, no matter which OS you use.
Thanks for this.

That is one of the problems with me, I'm so new to Linux, that I don't know what to do. Usually when I install Windows I install an anti-virus and firewall with HIPS, but even with those I was noticing suspicious behaviour, so I switched to Linux.

What learning course will make me a proficient Linux user, so that I can practice good security practices. I know that there is root log in, but I don't know any other system administration things apart from installing and removing software.

I use Firefox which is the default browser in Fedora.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#31 Post by Hallvor »

Debian is fine out of the box, and if you apply your security upgrades in a timely manner and don't install random application from third party repositories, you'll probably be fine.

I run firejail with Firefox for an extra layer of security, by the way.

You may want to read this:

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/secu ... ian-howto/
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

stevepusser

#32 Post by stevepusser »

Hallvor wrote:Debian is fine out of the box, and if you apply your security upgrades in a timely manner and don't install random application from third party repositories, you'll probably be fine.

I run firejail with Firefox for an extra layer of security, by the way.

You may want to read this:

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/secu ... ian-howto/
In addition, don't run as root, and don't run programs or commands as root or with sudo unless they really require that.

If I had a nickel for every time someone ran inxi as root when I just asked for inxi...I'd have a lot of nickels.

HuangLao

#33 Post by HuangLao »

novice, based on the lack of details you provided, even after three pages, it appears that these "people" are just screwing with you. Most likely collating posts from your "social media" accounts and then making it appear they "hacked" you. Similar to spoofing https://www.techopedia.com/definition/5398/spoofing . Once this idea was supplanted the other random events seemed to concur that you were hacked, when they may have been coincidences if not for the aforementioned screwing around with. What your post does help to illuminate is the dangers of social media, especially for people that post their entire lives online including pictures of family members, vacations etc... Private detectives, spooks, freaks and villains used to work really hard for this info in the past, now they just collate data off social media.

Just a hunch, only you can tell for sure, after all, how do you know someone on this thread is not one of "those people". [cue x files theme song/]

noviceDebian

#34 Post by noviceDebian »

HuangLao wrote:novice, based on the lack of details you provided, even after three pages, it appears that these "people" are just screwing with you. Most likely collating posts from your "social media" accounts and then making it appear they "hacked" you. Similar to spoofing https://www.techopedia.com/definition/5398/spoofing . Once this idea was supplanted the other random events seemed to concur that you were hacked, when they may have been coincidences if not for the aforementioned screwing around with. What your post does help to illuminate is the dangers of social media, especially for people that post their entire lives online including pictures of family members, vacations etc... Private detectives, spooks, freaks and villains used to work really hard for this info in the past, now they just collate data off social media.

Just a hunch, only you can tell for sure, after all, how do you know someone on this thread is not one of "those people". [cue x files theme song/]
Don't talk rubbish you stupid son of a bitch. I do not post my personal life on any social media(I never did that till now). I didn't post the announcement of the order on any social media. So, no, they couldn't have found out about it through my behaviour. Coincidences doesn't explain the time of audio balance.

So you bitches and sons of bitches are in bed with my abusers that's why you are shielding those bitches by deleting my posts?

noviceDebian

#35 Post by noviceDebian »

My abusers: link removed

Those bitches made that post after I received a Wacom graphic pen tablet. I monitor that hashtag regularly.

And I didn't announce the Wacom tablet anywhere.

This is the third post exposing my abusers, earlier two were deleted.
Last edited by 4D696B65 on 2018-12-24 14:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed useless spam link

Head_on_a_Stick

#36 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

noviceDebian wrote:So you bitches and sons of bitches are in bed with my abusers that's why you are shielding those bitches by deleting my posts?
Er, d00d, perhaps it's time to start taking those little blue pills the doctor gave you? I think they will help :mrgreen:

I had toothache the other week, I entered nothing about it into the computer but I started getting pop-up adverts for dentists and suchlike, how do you explain that, eh?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
NSA wrote:Security is a state of mind.
EDIT: that twitter link makes no sense at all, it keeps getting removed because it looks like spam.
deadbang

GarryRicketson

#37 Post by GarryRicketson »

May I suggest also ? the OP (and any one else really) should read this:
Forum guidelines. Please read before first post!
Even when one has made several posts, it never is to late to read it,..
---snip--Really members should read it all>>>If you feel like your post/ thread has been locked, edited or even removed in error please contact the moderator team via e-mail at team@forums.debian.net.
Summary
The following might get your post EDITED:
- Profanities
- Links to inappropriate websites

The following might get your post/ thread LOCKED
- Flaming/ personal attacks
- Obvious trolling
- Thread has wandered way off topic
- Cross posting
1.The link to the twitter site did not show anything at all about wacom tablets, or in any way show / prove anything, and also had nothing to do with Debian, nor Debian security, nor anything in this topic/ thread.
2.Calling other members bitches, and sons of bitches, is just plain abusive,
3. The thread has wandered way off topic.
Do I need to say anymore ?