Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Security in Debian.

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Security in Debian.

#31 Post by Hallvor »

Debian is fine out of the box, and if you apply your security upgrades in a timely manner and don't install random application from third party repositories, you'll probably be fine.

I run firejail with Firefox for an extra layer of security, by the way.

You may want to read this:

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/secu ... ian-howto/
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

stevepusser

#32 Post by stevepusser »

Hallvor wrote:Debian is fine out of the box, and if you apply your security upgrades in a timely manner and don't install random application from third party repositories, you'll probably be fine.

I run firejail with Firefox for an extra layer of security, by the way.

You may want to read this:

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/secu ... ian-howto/
In addition, don't run as root, and don't run programs or commands as root or with sudo unless they really require that.

If I had a nickel for every time someone ran inxi as root when I just asked for inxi...I'd have a lot of nickels.
MX Linux packager and developer

HuangLao

#33 Post by HuangLao »

novice, based on the lack of details you provided, even after three pages, it appears that these "people" are just screwing with you. Most likely collating posts from your "social media" accounts and then making it appear they "hacked" you. Similar to spoofing https://www.techopedia.com/definition/5398/spoofing . Once this idea was supplanted the other random events seemed to concur that you were hacked, when they may have been coincidences if not for the aforementioned screwing around with. What your post does help to illuminate is the dangers of social media, especially for people that post their entire lives online including pictures of family members, vacations etc... Private detectives, spooks, freaks and villains used to work really hard for this info in the past, now they just collate data off social media.

Just a hunch, only you can tell for sure, after all, how do you know someone on this thread is not one of "those people". [cue x files theme song/]

noviceDebian

#34 Post by noviceDebian »

HuangLao wrote:novice, based on the lack of details you provided, even after three pages, it appears that these "people" are just screwing with you. Most likely collating posts from your "social media" accounts and then making it appear they "hacked" you. Similar to spoofing https://www.techopedia.com/definition/5398/spoofing . Once this idea was supplanted the other random events seemed to concur that you were hacked, when they may have been coincidences if not for the aforementioned screwing around with. What your post does help to illuminate is the dangers of social media, especially for people that post their entire lives online including pictures of family members, vacations etc... Private detectives, spooks, freaks and villains used to work really hard for this info in the past, now they just collate data off social media.

Just a hunch, only you can tell for sure, after all, how do you know someone on this thread is not one of "those people". [cue x files theme song/]
Don't talk rubbish you stupid son of a bitch. I do not post my personal life on any social media(I never did that till now). I didn't post the announcement of the order on any social media. So, no, they couldn't have found out about it through my behaviour. Coincidences doesn't explain the time of audio balance.

So you bitches and sons of bitches are in bed with my abusers that's why you are shielding those bitches by deleting my posts?

noviceDebian

#35 Post by noviceDebian »

My abusers: link removed

Those bitches made that post after I received a Wacom graphic pen tablet. I monitor that hashtag regularly.

And I didn't announce the Wacom tablet anywhere.

This is the third post exposing my abusers, earlier two were deleted.
Last edited by 4D696B65 on 2018-12-24 14:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed useless spam link

Head_on_a_Stick

#36 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

noviceDebian wrote:So you bitches and sons of bitches are in bed with my abusers that's why you are shielding those bitches by deleting my posts?
Er, d00d, perhaps it's time to start taking those little blue pills the doctor gave you? I think they will help :mrgreen:

I had toothache the other week, I entered nothing about it into the computer but I started getting pop-up adverts for dentists and suchlike, how do you explain that, eh?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
NSA wrote:Security is a state of mind.
EDIT: that twitter link makes no sense at all, it keeps getting removed because it looks like spam.
deadbang

GarryRicketson

#37 Post by GarryRicketson »

May I suggest also ? the OP (and any one else really) should read this:
Forum guidelines. Please read before first post!
Even when one has made several posts, it never is to late to read it,..
---snip--Really members should read it all>>>If you feel like your post/ thread has been locked, edited or even removed in error please contact the moderator team via e-mail at team@forums.debian.net.
Summary
The following might get your post EDITED:
- Profanities
- Links to inappropriate websites

The following might get your post/ thread LOCKED
- Flaming/ personal attacks
- Obvious trolling
- Thread has wandered way off topic
- Cross posting
1.The link to the twitter site did not show anything at all about wacom tablets, or in any way show / prove anything, and also had nothing to do with Debian, nor Debian security, nor anything in this topic/ thread.
2.Calling other members bitches, and sons of bitches, is just plain abusive,
3. The thread has wandered way off topic.
Do I need to say anymore ?