Security in Debian.

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Re: Security in Debian.

Postby llivv » 2018-12-21 08:46

Hey, I'm not sure I get all of novices' meaning regarding novices' present circumstances... After all out of the zillions of us (oh wait - did I overstate the number?) there are quite a few different sets of circles....
(If I'm pushing my ideals here - just skip over to the next issue, please)
It seems that novice has an issue that is not easily described as the majority of the zillions of us just figure out ways to ignore them - since we feel powerless to free ourselves from the higher powers...

I see it as a food chain issue that we all share all the way to the top.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.
llivv

Postby noviceDebian » 2018-12-21 09:43

bw123 wrote:
noviceDebian wrote:
Hallvor wrote:Are you sure you are infected? What symptoms?

Like allusions to what I typed in my off-line documents. Similar knowledge of activities on my computer, which were not related to internet or social media.

I didn't understand this. Someone alluded to something you typed into a document? They had knowledge of what activities? How did they make you aware of it?

Sounds like a movie, I guess anything is possible, but the question would be, "why?" out of the zillions of people online, why would someone spend the time to find out what you do and then tell you about it?

They let me know on social media, not on Facebook(I don't use it), but YouTube and Twitter.

Answering your question about "why":

1. Power Play
2. Make a caricature of me, so what I say can be discredited

I think the reason why they let me know that they know those things would be to exert their power over me, like they are all knowing and all powerful, and they are one step ahead of me, and they best me easily and I can't escape.

I wish I could tell you about what I write but doing so might let you connect dots to my other identity.
Last edited by noviceDebian on 2018-12-21 09:43, edited 1 time in total.
noviceDebian

Postby noviceDebian » 2018-12-21 09:43

llivv wrote:Hey, I'm not sure I get all of novices' meaning regarding novices' present circumstances... After all out of the zillions of us (oh wait - did I overstate the number?) there are quite a few different sets of circles....
It seems that novice has an issue that is not easily described as the majority of the zillions of us just figure out ways to ignore them - since we feel powerless to free ourselves from the higher powers...

Thanks for your support.
noviceDebian

Postby noviceDebian » 2018-12-21 10:53

bw123 wrote:
noviceDebian wrote:
Hallvor wrote:Are you sure you are infected? What symptoms?

Like allusions to what I typed in my off-line documents. Similar knowledge of activities on my computer, which were not related to internet or social media.

I didn't understand this. Someone alluded to something you typed into a document? They had knowledge of what activities? How did they make you aware of it?

Sounds like a movie, I guess anything is possible, but the question would be, "why?" out of the zillions of people online, why would someone spend the time to find out what you do and then tell you about it?

To give another example, some months back, I was having problems with earphones I got, the sound out of left side was not as loud as it was in the right side, I informed this to the customer care of the earphone company, since then I found that my Fedora's audio balance was being skewed towards the left side, as if to compensate for some inherent low output from the left earphone, at that time I had GNOME and it had that option, now I'm on KDE Plasma and it doesn't have such left-right balance. When I had GNOME, I never messed with the audio balance.
noviceDebian

Postby bw123 » 2018-12-21 18:16

llivv wrote:Hey, I'm not sure I get all of novices' meaning regarding novices' present circumstances... After all out of the zillions of us (oh wait - did I overstate the number?) there are quite a few different sets of circles....

This is an interesting point of view. You seem to be saying that everybody is subject to having the balance on their audio set slightly left, but we ignore the problem because we are powerless to solve it? I'd answer that we need to see some evidence before assuming it is an intrusion.

I know that hacking goes on. Some people do it for fun. I used to watch people try to do it and laugh all day long at their stoopid attempts. I'd like to say every system is hack proof, but I sort of agree, nothing is. But saying we all ignore it because we are powerless to stop iit s a little extreme. Security isn't 100% but even an amateur like me can get reasonably comfortable about it. But I'm not a celebrity, and don't attract attention.

Interesting topic. Thanks for posting.

p.s. just for the record, anybody anywhere is welcome to take a stab at my system, for testing/fun only. I kiind of enjoy the challenge. Tell me one filename that contains the word "simultaneously" on my computer?
bw123

Postby jibberjabber » 2018-12-21 19:52

The topic is kind of interesting, some interesting statements come out:

by noviceDebian » 2018-12-21 04:43---They let me know on social media, not on Facebook(I don't use it), but YouTube and Twitter.

Answering your question about "why":

1. Power Play
2. Make a caricature of me, so what I say can be discredited

I think the reason why they let me know that they know those things would be to exert their power over me, like they are all knowing and all powerful, and they are one step ahead of me, and they best me easily and I can't escape.

I wish I could tell you about what I write but doing so might let you connect dots to my other identity.

One really needs to be care full when these multiple identities get involved, indeed , sometimes it seems like one or several are all knowing and all powerful, and of course the most powerful one, "the other identity", will not let any other identity say things that might help "connect the dots". That is how they all ways stay one step ahead of the other identity, or in some cases plural, identities.
I try to stay away from people that have multi identities , they scare me , and even more so when they stop taking the meds they are suppose to be taking.
I had a friend with a similar problem, his "other identity " was getting to much control, it was doing things when he was sleeping, terrible things, I can not go into details here, but it included downloading images that he normally would not download, nor even look at. It (the other identity) all ways was one step ahead of him, he made new passwords ,etc, but it all ways knew them.
He insisted it was not him that downloaded the stuff, his wife divorced him because she saw some of the things. Later went into a rage, attacked me, accusing me of being responsible for all of his many problems.
So I distanced myself, I did keep praying for the guy though, it really was kind of sad, because on one side, he had a real nice identity, but the "other identity" was horrible, like some kind of demon or monster, a Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde sort of thing.
Months later, him and even his wife/family, showed up in church,...he told us what the deal was, and reported that he had stopped taking the meds that the doctors had ordered, and things went down hill from there on,... Any way , at least it all worked out ok, and the guy learned a lesson, he makes sure he takes the meds as prescribed, so now he is back, with 1 identity , and it is basically a normal person, no more mysterious downloads ,etc,...
jibberjabber

Postby bw123 » 2018-12-21 20:51

yeah, right, like the movies on TV?
https://www.techworm.net/2016/03/10-bes ... t-now.html

I don't know man, life isn't this exciting for normal people? Nobody cares what you typed in your personal files? Nobody gives a crap what you post on youtube or facebook? Nobody would alter your audio balance and then tell you about it, it's like a jedi mind trick https://www.starwars.com/databank/jedi-mind-trick, but it's just a movie.

WTF, if you were that important you would have people to deal with security? I think the whole thread is insane, but PROVE me wrong.
bw123

Postby stevepusser » 2018-12-21 21:50

The DNA cases that were mentioned refer to decades-old cold murder cases where the investigators had some DNA from the killer, but he never had supplied any to the criminal justice system, so they could not come up with a match. However, they then started looking for matches on online genomics websites where distant relatives of the killer might have uploaded their genomic information; after getting that, they then try to get common ancestors of the killer, then trace descendants that would match the killer's profile. After identifying those, they then try to get DNA that the suspect would discard on something like a cigarette butt or soft drink can, and then get a positive match with the killer's. The most famous case is that of the Golden State killer, at least here in California: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_State_Killer
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Foliate 1.5.3, Minitube 3.1, wine-staging 4.12, Virtual Box 5.2.32 & 6.0.10, Pale Moon 28.6.1, Waterfox 56.2.12
stevepusser

Postby noviceDebian » 2018-12-21 22:42

jibberjabber wrote:The topic is kind of interesting, some interesting statements come out:

One really needs to be care full when these multiple identities get involved, indeed , sometimes it seems like one or several are all knowing and all powerful, and of course the most powerful one, "the other identity", will not let any other identity say things that might help "connect the dots". That is how they all ways stay one step ahead of the other identity, or in some cases plural, identities.
I try to stay away from people that have multi identities , they scare me , and even more so when they stop taking the meds they are suppose to be taking.
I had a friend with a similar problem, his "other identity " was getting to much control, it was doing things when he was sleeping, terrible things, I can not go into details here, but it included downloading images that he normally would not download, nor even look at. It (the other identity) all ways was one step ahead of him, he made new passwords ,etc, but it all ways knew them.
He insisted it was not him that downloaded the stuff, his wife divorced him because she saw some of the things. Later went into a rage, attacked me, accusing me of being responsible for all of his many problems.
So I distanced myself, I did keep praying for the guy though, it really was kind of sad, because on one side, he had a real nice identity, but the "other identity" was horrible, like some kind of demon or monster, a Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde sort of thing.
Months later, him and even his wife/family, showed up in church,...he told us what the deal was, and reported that he had stopped taking the meds that the doctors had ordered, and things went down hill from there on,... Any way , at least it all worked out ok, and the guy learned a lesson, he makes sure he takes the meds as prescribed, so now he is back, with 1 identity , and it is basically a normal person, no more mysterious downloads ,etc,...

When I wrote other identities, I meant my other online profiles on Twitter, other forums, etc, and I'm fully aware of them when I'm using this identity. For example, on Fedora Forums, you can find me as noviceFedora, this is one of my other identities. I know that I don't suffer from multiple personality disorder as you seem to be suggesting. I had no problem sharing about my identity on Fedora Forums because this and that deal with technical content, but my other identities have to deal with some other subject matter, so I'm not willing to give any hint at those.
noviceDebian

Postby noviceDebian » 2018-12-21 23:04

bw123 wrote:yeah, right, like the movies on TV?
https://www.techworm.net/2016/03/10-bes ... t-now.html

I don't know man, life isn't this exciting for normal people? Nobody cares what you typed in your personal files? Nobody gives a crap what you post on youtube or facebook? Nobody would alter your audio balance and then tell you about it, it's like a jedi mind trick https://www.starwars.com/databank/jedi-mind-trick, but it's just a movie.

WTF, if you were that important you would have people to deal with security? I think the whole thread is insane, but PROVE me wrong.

In the movie list you posted, I only watched Matrix and Live Free Or Die Hard, I don't even know the plots of other movies.

No one told me about the audio balance, I just experienced that audio output from left side was a lot more louder than from the right side, as I started exploring settings I found out that the audio balance was skewed. I do not have any Jedi powers. You can find my thread on Fedora Forums, where I asked if access to the module controlling audio balance would be logged somewhere.

Not all people can afford security, and even if I had control over most of the money, I do think it will get me security, because for those money doesn't mean anything.

I really can't think of a way of giving proof without giving hints to my other identities.
noviceDebian

Postby sunrat » 2018-12-21 23:36

noviceDebian wrote:I really can't think of a way of giving proof without giving hints to my other identities.

So far you haven't posted any proof that your system is compromised. It's good to be wary but be careful the tinfoil hat doesn't squeeze your brain.
I once had a similar imbalance in relative stereo levels. Turned out one side of output was being sent left signal and the other side was being sent both left and right causing it to be 3dB louder. I never even considered someone hacked in and was messing with me. Most likely was a careless accidental click of a mute button. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Postby noviceDebian » 2018-12-22 00:43

sunrat wrote:
noviceDebian wrote:I really can't think of a way of giving proof without giving hints to my other identities.

So far you haven't posted any proof that your system is compromised. It's good to be wary but be careful the tinfoil hat doesn't squeeze your brain.
I once had a similar imbalance in relative stereo levels. Turned out one side of output was being sent left signal and the other side was being sent both left and right causing it to be 3dB louder. I never even considered someone hacked in and was messing with me. Most likely was a careless accidental click of a mute button. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor

What you presented is also a possibility but this audio imbalance happened after I emailed the customer care of the earphone company, that for me rules out the possibility of it being caused by a glitch. My earphones are not directly connected to the computer, they are connected via 2.1 speaker system, if I wanted to mute it, I would have decreased the volume or taken off the ear phones.
noviceDebian

Postby GarryRicketson » 2018-12-22 02:24

Why not just give Debian a try, and see if it is any more secure then Fedora, and how long it stays that way ?
I would be more concerned with which browser I am using, even the most secure OS, is not going to be very secure if the browser has ways to get access to directories and files that one wants to keep "secret".
I don't know about Fedora, nor care really, but with Debian there are plenty of ways to set up encrypted directories, or partitions, where one can keep files,and etc. secure and safe, even a browser with malicious code embedded would have a hard time accessing a partition or directory that does not permit "others" to access in any way.

What precautions can I take while using Debian to protect it against malware infections?

I'm thinking of switching to Debian, is Debian more secure than most Linux distros like, Mint, SUSE, Fedora, Ubuntu, etc?

It all depends on how well you configure the system , a poorly configured system will not be very secure, no matter which OS you use.
GarryRicketson

Postby stevepusser » 2018-12-22 04:47

To answer your question about if Debian has secret backdoors, if we told you, they wouldn't be secret...
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Foliate 1.5.3, Minitube 3.1, wine-staging 4.12, Virtual Box 5.2.32 & 6.0.10, Pale Moon 28.6.1, Waterfox 56.2.12
stevepusser

Postby noviceDebian » 2018-12-22 05:20

GarryRicketson wrote:Why not just give Debian a try, and see if it is any more secure then Fedora, and how long it stays that way ?
I would be more concerned with which browser I am using, even the most secure OS, is not going to be very secure if the browser has ways to get access to directories and files that one wants to keep "secret".
I don't know about Fedora, nor care really, but with Debian there are plenty of ways to set up encrypted directories, or partitions, where one can keep files,and etc. secure and safe, even a browser with malicious code embedded would have a hard time accessing a partition or directory that does not permit "others" to access in any way.

What precautions can I take while using Debian to protect it against malware infections?

I'm thinking of switching to Debian, is Debian more secure than most Linux distros like, Mint, SUSE, Fedora, Ubuntu, etc?

It all depends on how well you configure the system , a poorly configured system will not be very secure, no matter which OS you use.

Thanks for this.

That is one of the problems with me, I'm so new to Linux, that I don't know what to do. Usually when I install Windows I install an anti-virus and firewall with HIPS, but even with those I was noticing suspicious behaviour, so I switched to Linux.

What learning course will make me a proficient Linux user, so that I can practice good security practices. I know that there is root log in, but I don't know any other system administration things apart from installing and removing software.

I use Firefox which is the default browser in Fedora.
noviceDebian

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners Questions