Need Help Setting up Wireless on New Computer

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Need Help Setting up Wireless on New Computer

Postby FirstYEarEngineer » 2018-12-18 04:22

Hello,

So basically a bit of background. I was given an old acer aspire 5251 with Debian 8(8.3)installed, everything worked, I was able to connect to the wireless no problem. I then decided to upgrade the laptop to HP G62 notebook that needed a new hard drive so after swapping them around everything started up fine but when I logged in under my user I basically couldn't connect to the wifi. As you can probably tell I have essentially zero experience with Linux but I have some experience coding in java and java script. Looking for some help to get my computer working again and to learn. Thank for any help.

FirstYEarEngineer
FirstYEarEngineer

Re: Need Help Setting up Wireless on New Computer

Postby stevepusser » 2018-12-18 20:22

What does
Code: Select all
lspci
in the terminal say about your wireless hardware? Try "lsusb" if that doesn't show anything--some laptops have internal USB wi-fi.

Important to fixing this: do you have a wired connection?
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Foliate 1.5.3, Minitube 3.1, wine-staging 4.12, Virtual Box 5.2.32 & 6.0.10, Pale Moon 28.6.1, Waterfox 56.2.12
stevepusser

Re: Need Help Setting up Wireless on New Computer

Postby FirstYEarEngineer » 2018-12-19 21:42

The only thing I can see about wireless hardware when I enter "lspci" is "Network controller: Ralink crop. RT5390 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe". As of right now I have no idea if I have a wired connection as I lost my Ethernet cable. I'll pick one up tomorrow and try to see if I can get a wired connection.
FirstYEarEngineer

Return to Beginners Questions