Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Need Help Setting up Wireless on New Computer

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
FirstYEarEngineer

Need Help Setting up Wireless on New Computer

#1 Post by FirstYEarEngineer »

Hello,

So basically a bit of background. I was given an old acer aspire 5251 with Debian 8(8.3)installed, everything worked, I was able to connect to the wireless no problem. I then decided to upgrade the laptop to HP G62 notebook that needed a new hard drive so after swapping them around everything started up fine but when I logged in under my user I basically couldn't connect to the wifi. As you can probably tell I have essentially zero experience with Linux but I have some experience coding in java and java script. Looking for some help to get my computer working again and to learn. Thank for any help.

FirstYEarEngineer

stevepusser

Re: Need Help Setting up Wireless on New Computer

#2 Post by stevepusser »

What does

Code: Select all

lspci
in the terminal say about your wireless hardware? Try "lsusb" if that doesn't show anything--some laptops have internal USB wi-fi.

Important to fixing this: do you have a wired connection?
MX Linux packager and developer

FirstYEarEngineer

Re: Need Help Setting up Wireless on New Computer

#3 Post by FirstYEarEngineer »

The only thing I can see about wireless hardware when I enter "lspci" is "Network controller: Ralink crop. RT5390 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe". As of right now I have no idea if I have a wired connection as I lost my Ethernet cable. I'll pick one up tomorrow and try to see if I can get a wired connection.