Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

NFS remote folder won't mount at startup

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
memory_channel

NFS remote folder won't mount at startup

#1 Post by memory_channel »

Hi

I have an NFS folder on freenas and I'm trying to access it with Debian 9

Using the "mount" command on a terminal works but only with root

But once put on /etc/fstab it doesn't mount on startup, once the system started I have to be on root on terminal and type "mount -a" for it to work

So there seems no way to get to the folder to mount without root privilege, but then what do I have to modify?

Am I missing something?

Thanks

memory_channel

Re: NFS remote folder won't mount at startup

#2 Post by memory_channel »

applologises :)

As I confirmed the enttry does work after system started and logged and typed mout -a as root, I assumed the entry is fine and should be something else

here is the entry :

Code: Select all

192.167.1.23:/mnt/file/video /mnt/video nfs rw,async,hard,intr,noexec 0 0
Again the entry works fine once I type mount -a as root

Thanks a lot!

memory_channel

#3 Post by memory_channel »

wizard10000 wrote:This ought to do you - the _netdev tells the system it has to wait for the network.

Code: Select all

192.167.1.23:/mnt/file/video /mnt/video nfs _netdev,rw,async,hard,intr,noexec 0 0
Hope this helps -

unfortunately it doesnt seem to work

I was told I might have to set up a systemd mount unit , never done that before

kevinthefixer

#4 Post by kevinthefixer »

Ran into similar problems myself. Not sure why _netdev isn't working for you, but what I did was pass the "users" option in fstab, then run a script as my normal user after logon. It allows normal users to mount the volume. If you're using NetworkManager you can also put the script in its folder to run after the network is up (forget exactly where but look in man networkmanager). Always end such scripts with "exit 0" (that's a zero) so the whole system doesn't end up waiting for your NFS share to mount.