Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[ISSUE] Unlock encrypted external drive from another system

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
starseed-pl

[ISSUE] Unlock encrypted external drive from another system

#1 Post by starseed-pl »

Hello everyone I'm a newbie and glad to be here. Thank you for this great resource.

I've been using Ubuntu for about 1.5 year and I'm really liking the GNU/Linux experience. What I don't like about Ubuntu is as it develops more and more, it seems to get easier and makes me more lazy and dependent on GUI. I do enjoy playing games with friends and family so Ubuntu is my go-to gaming system. I also use Blender and Krita or Gimp to produce 3D and 2D game assets. I am learning python programming, trying to learn more BASH, and learning web development as well. So Debian is very desirable to me for 'work' related stuff. I don't really want to use my system like Windows, so this is why Debian has always been very appealing to me. I like to learn and I learn to do things the way I want to do them much faster with Debian.

So I have 2 hard drives and an external one for backup. Debian is on the 128GB SSD, Ubuntu 18.04 on the 1TB HDD, and a lot of files and backups on this 4TB WD MyBook external drive that it the subject matter. I formatted the external drive in ext4 in gnome-disk app in my Ubuntu system. I encrypted the drive and when I boot into Ubuntu I must enter the pass phrase which it remembers until I log out. This is desirable to me, but I think it is causing issues with my ability to unlock the device from my Debian system.

In Debian when I attempt to unlock the drive I am greeted with this message:

Code: Select all

Error unlocking /dev/sdc1: Error spawning command-line 'cryptsetup luksOpen "/dev/sdc1" "luks-jarblejarblejarble" ': Failed to execute child process "cryptsetup" (No such file or directory) (g-exec-error-quark, 8)
Is there some sort of file stored in a directory I can retrieve from my Ubuntu system so I can unlock the drive? There is no way the password is incorrect, as I can unlock it from Ubuntu still.
Thanks for the help.

bw123

Re: [ISSUE] Unlock encrypted external drive from another sys

#2 Post by bw123 »

I really think you should search the interwebs for one of the error msgs:

Error spawning command-line 'cryptsetup luksOpen'
-or-
Failed to execute child process "cryptsetup"
resigned by AI ChatGPT

starseed-pl

#3 Post by starseed-pl »

Dude, thank you so much for the slap in the face reality check. Sometimes I assume stuff is more complicated than it is. Wow super embarrassing but you are cool and thank you.
I am a firm believer in reality checks and harsh discipline

solved with:

Code: Select all

apt install cryptsetup
Question is, why is this not a default package?

Segfault

#4 Post by Segfault »

Default? For who? For people who may never need it, just to take up disk space? I can recommend another thousand packages then to be "default".

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by CwF »

..or cryptmount for a single package.

millpond

#6 Post by millpond »

You are in for a world of hurt with drive encryption, especially on an external, espcially if a controller or driver gets a bit wonky and wipes a few boot/decrypt files.

You want security for your *valuable* data?
Keep them unencrypted on an external, and shut off when not being used.
100% secure.

There are enough horror stories around to show that encryption does more damage than malicious hackers.