Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to install Gnome on debian?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
ferfykins

How to install Gnome on debian?

#1 Post by ferfykins »

Just setup an instance of vmware with debian, i can't figure out how to install gnome desktop environment for debian (newest release plz)
and also how to switch desktop environment to gnome, after installing it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: How to install Gnome on debian?

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

golinux

#3 Post by golinux »

Is this a trick question? Isn't gnome the default? Is this what FDN has come to?
May the FORK be with you!

ferfykins

#4 Post by ferfykins »

figured it out, got sudo and gnome3 setup....

Although for some reason i can't paste stuff to my desktop like i can with ubuntu/windows.... any idea if there's a way to change that? with gnome3?

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Use gnome-tweak to set the desktop to have visible items cluttering up your gorgeous wallpaper.

No, you will not get the "latest" GNOME in stable Debian, and there's no way to get it other than updating to Debian testing or Sid--not for newbies, though.
MX Linux packager and developer

ferfykins

#6 Post by ferfykins »

stevepusser wrote:Use gnome-tweak to set the desktop to have visible items cluttering up your gorgeous wallpaper.

No, you will not get the "latest" GNOME in stable Debian, and there's no way to get it other than updating to Debian testing or Sid--not for newbies, though.

Gotchya, thanks!!!

bw123

#7 Post by bw123 »

golinux wrote:Is this a trick question? Isn't gnome the default? Is this what FDN has come to?
I told people when they posted the top ten reasons to switch to linux article this would happen. Too much advertising.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

kevinthefixer

#8 Post by kevinthefixer »

bw123 wrote:
golinux wrote:Is this a trick question? Isn't gnome the default? Is this what FDN has come to?
I told people when they posted the top ten reasons to switch to linux article this would happen. Too much advertising.
Hey, this is the beginner's section, after all. We were all noobs once.

Head_on_a_Stick

#9 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

^ +1, well said.

But even n00bs should know how to use a search engine :mrgreen:
deadbang

golinux

#10 Post by golinux »

kevinthefixer wrote:Hey, this is the beginner's section, after all. We were all noobs once.
The beginners section was the beginning of the end of this forum. ;)

stevepusser

#11 Post by stevepusser »

golinux wrote:
kevinthefixer wrote:Hey, this is the beginner's section, after all. We were all noobs once.
So, do you want the beginner's forum to redirect to a flashing "USE MINT, NOOB"?

golinux

#12 Post by golinux »

stevepusser wrote:
golinux wrote:
So, do you want the beginner's forum to redirect to a flashing "USE MINT, NOOB"?
Maybe the beginner's forum should redirect to a beginner's search page that includes prominent links to the Release Notes , Wiki etc. that must be viewed before continuing and require 5-10 keyword searches before being allowed to post. That might might encourage a different behavior than what is so often found here these days.

stevepusser

#13 Post by stevepusser »

We made a FAQ for MX Linux and linked it on the forum home page. Stuff like "What's the deal with MX and systemd?" and "Can I use a PPA?"

golinux

#14 Post by golinux »

stevepusser wrote:We made a FAQ for MX Linux and linked it on the forum home page. Stuff like "What's the deal with MX and systemd?" and "Can I use a PPA?"
Unfortunately at Devuan we have found over and over again that despite documentation posted in prominent places, most often it is being ignored especially now that more n00bies are finding us. Bottom line . . . those who do not seek will not find. Fortunately, we don't have to tiptoe and coddle like you do over here.

Head_on_a_Stick

#15 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

golinux wrote:Fortunately, we don't have to tiptoe and coddle like you do over here.
Hold on a minute, wasn't there a thread over at the Devuan forums about how nasty I was being to the n00bs here?

At least be consistent in your criticisms... :roll:

EDIT: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=139176
deadbang

Paulvos

#16 Post by Paulvos »

Hello all,

I'm a nOObe in every sense of the word. My experience is one week old. I managed to install a working Debian on my computer and 2 working programs using .DEB files. So far I find Debian user friendly and many things are easy to find after a bit of puzzling.

That is not so the case when compiling is needed. I find many websites with instructions, but they all talk double Dutch to me. So I turned to this forum and to beginners questions. It is a bit disappointing to see sarcasm about some questions that might be Obvious to the professionals here. There is no lack of information on the web, but it's hard for beginners to understand the jargon.

So I kindly like to ask to have mercy with us beginners. If you do, who knows some of us may turn out to be professionals in the end.

Paul Vos

Head_on_a_Stick

#17 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Paulvos wrote:That is not so the case when compiling is needed.
And what has compiling to do with the OP's question?

I'm not an IT professional either btw.
deadbang