Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What's your desktop environment of choice?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Deb-fan

Re: What's your desktop environment of choice?

#46 Post by Deb-fan »

Windows managers, openbox, we don need no stinking desktop environments!!! We'll I don't but are amazing gui's in gnu/Linux. Each their own. :)
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

Harold

#47 Post by Harold »

Xfce 90% of the time.
Fluxbox 10% of the time.

debiandonder

#48 Post by debiandonder »

I am using KDE Plasma 5.8.6 in Debian 9, but the later versions are faster according to articles I have read.

I don't know if I can just upgrade the KDE version alone on Debian 9 without any problems?

@ttila

#49 Post by @ttila »

Only Lxqt on my testing debian.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#50 Post by Hallvor »

debiandonder wrote:I am using KDE Plasma 5.8.6 in Debian 9, but the later versions are faster according to articles I have read.

I don't know if I can just upgrade the KDE version alone on Debian 9 without any problems?

I don't think so. If you must have the latest stuff, there are better options than Debian out there.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

debiandonder

#51 Post by debiandonder »

Hallvor wrote:
debiandonder wrote:I am using KDE Plasma 5.8.6 in Debian 9, but the later versions are faster according to articles I have read.

I don't think so. If you must have the latest stuff, there are better options than Debian out there.
I don't now all the Arch Linux commands and I will rather wait for Debian 10 to come out before switching. KDE 5.14 just load faster than previous versions.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#52 Post by Hallvor »

debiandonder wrote:
Hallvor wrote:

I don't now all the Arch Linux commands and I will rather wait for Debian 10 to come out before switching. KDE 5.14 just load faster than previous versions.
Arch is not your only option. Check this out: https://www.pclinuxos.com/get-pclinuxos/kde/

It is a little heavier on resources than Debian, but if you use a fairly new computer, that is a non-issue. It has many GUI-tools, has a fantastic remastering tool (mklivecd), is a rolling release with the latest applications (well, not alwaya all, but you can ask the developers do something about that) and has a friendly forum where the developers are active. It will typically roll out the newest KDE within a few days, and you can upgrade everything with Synaptic.

https://www.datamation.com/open-source/ ... istro.html

Expect more quirks than in (well tested) Debian, but that is the price you pay for the latest applications everywhere.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

debiandonder

#53 Post by debiandonder »

The older version of KDE just takes longer to load at start up than newer versions and after that it works great. I have a old AMD A10 APU and the fan on my graphics card broke some weeks ago and i removed it.

I works surprisingly well, but I won't try any resource heavy distro. I have enabled the backports on Debian Stretch and installed 0 A.D. because the version in the normal Debian 9 repository freezes all the time.

In my case older software is not always more reliable or stable. I think I'll wait for Debian 10 to be released sometime this year, hopefully and try a distro based on that, like MX Linux, but that will probable take even longer.

Wheelerof4te

#54 Post by Wheelerof4te »

^How are you playing 0.A.D without a fan?

debiandonder

#55 Post by debiandonder »

Wheelerof4te wrote:^How are you playing 0.A.D without a fan?
I removed the entire graphics card and I am just using my AMD A10 APU, that's a CPU with some 6 or so graphics cores. It's not as good as a dedicated graphics card though.