Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What's your desktop environment of choice?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
kartious

Re: What's your desktop environment of choice?

#31 Post by kartious »

Ever since I have switched to a Windows Managers, Desktop Environments are an after thought. Openbox all the way but if I am installing for a friend who is non familiar then xfce.

wheels5894

#32 Post by wheels5894 »

I'm new to Debian - indeed more or less new to Linux. I am running Gnome as it doesn;t look like Windows 10 and make me thing differently to learn Linux.

debiandonder

#33 Post by debiandonder »

I have used Gnome for years and recently switched to KDE. It looks better but doesn't use more memory than Gnome.

Then my graphics card which had some 2 GB memory broke and I had to use just the old AMD A10-5800k. Very old and I don't even know how many graphics cores it has.

Surprise! It still works flawlessly with Debian 9 KDE!

Luna Moon

#34 Post by Luna Moon »

wheels5894 wrote:I'm new to Debian - indeed more or less new to Linux. I am running Gnome as it doesn;t look like Windows 10 and make me thing differently to learn Linux.
Same here. I still have a lot to learn to make full use of Debian!

debiandonder

#35 Post by debiandonder »

You can find out much more about Debian on the internet and on the Debian website's documentation than say Arch Linux.

That's why I use Debian instead of a Arch based distro and it's very stable too.

If a program don't work for you, there is also enough choice to try something else that worked on Debian.

Lastly, Debian seems lighter on my old system, than Ubuntu I used before this.

debianos

#36 Post by debianos »

how many people like and use lxde? is it so much lighter than gnome 3? i have gnome 3 installed and tweaked etc. but am really curious about lxdr and wonering if it will be better overall. It is tough to se running live cd and i just hate to redo the system with lxde and then go - oh man this is not tthat great and then have to do gnome - certain things work in gnome that i like but with minimal ram LXDE seems o be a hreat choice. no offense to xfce people but i tried years ago and it didn't rock my boat as they say. thanks.

GarryRicketson

#37 Post by GarryRicketson »

Personally , I think is is lousy , and don't use it.
--snip-- but am really curious about lxdr and wonering if it will be better overall.
But also , honestly, the only way you can know if it is better for you is try it, you are the only one that can decide that.
how many people like and use lxde?
Just because a lot of others like it, does not mean you will, similar, if I asked, How many people like and use Gnome ?, there would be a lot of them that say they do, but I didn't and don't like it either...Don't let others decide for you what you like, learn to think for your self, try various DE's, and then decide which one YOU like, don't worry about what every one else thinks.
After all said and done, none of the DE's really impress me, I like a WM better, you might want to try some Window Managers as well, but be ware, all the trendy Wendy follow the crowd types will tell you some trendy , clicky dicky , plasma plasmos DE is where it's at,...and they will decide what is best for you, and you will miss out on something that is actually better. Then again LXDE, might be perfect for you, actually , if popularity is the important factor, MS windows is still the most popular, and you get the Desktop they sell you, with no other choice.
Do you know that you can have several different DEs on Debian, and select which one to use when you log in ?

debianos

#38 Post by debianos »

I get you thanks gary. i am not doing because a lot of others use it but curious as to their take. i worked hard to get gnome workinf but it has issues due to ram. so even though things are wroking and for my needs for testing i fif get debian working. lxdr just needs to be zippier than gnome or just handle a bit more at one time. if you know what i mean. thanks again
Last edited by debianos on 2019-03-02 00:10, edited 1 time in total.

GarryRicketson

#39 Post by GarryRicketson »

----but it has issues due to ram.
Yup, among other major issues, that is one reason I don't like it, many claim LXDE is lighter, zippier, (faster) and less ram, but on my hardware, it is just as bad as Gnome, .....I must admit, when I first just completely dropped using any DE, it took some getting used to,but now, even if I did have more modern hardware, and more ram, etc, I would not go back to any of them, and the biggest trend in Desktop Environments, all of them , seems to be they are getting worse and not better.

debianos

#40 Post by debianos »

For what it is worth the LXDE seems to run a lot better than Gnome so far. wish I could tweak a few things more than it is possible but it is OK.

esp7

#41 Post by esp7 »

XFCE... doing its job without eating resources and annoying me changing their desktop environment each time.
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned

Wheelerof4te

#42 Post by Wheelerof4te »

For what it's worth, I came to the conclusion. XFCE get's the job done, looks the same for the last 5 years and does not eat resources. And, as I found out recently, does not care if you use PA or pure ALSA :D

I used it on both Wheeze and Jessie 4 and a half years ago, happy to get back to it now.

debiandonder

#43 Post by debiandonder »

Have no one here tried KDE? I find it a little lighter than Gnome and prettier too. I'm not even using a graphics card!

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#44 Post by Hallvor »

debiandonder wrote:Have no one here tried KDE?
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 32#p689131 :)

TDE (KDE 3.5) on this old computer, KDE plasma on my main computer.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

debiandonder

#45 Post by debiandonder »

Yes, I know that XFCE can be customised to look real pretty, but KDE just looks fine out of the box.

I installed Debian 9 on my pc and then the fan on my graphics card broke and I had to rely on my AMD A 10 APU (5800k) with poor built in graphics and everything works smoothly.

A Goldilocks desktop, that's not too pretty or too ugly is just right for me.

Deb-fan

#46 Post by Deb-fan »

Windows managers, openbox, we don need no stinking desktop environments!!! We'll I don't but are amazing gui's in gnu/Linux. Each their own. :)
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

Harold

#47 Post by Harold »

Xfce 90% of the time.
Fluxbox 10% of the time.

debiandonder

#48 Post by debiandonder »

I am using KDE Plasma 5.8.6 in Debian 9, but the later versions are faster according to articles I have read.

I don't know if I can just upgrade the KDE version alone on Debian 9 without any problems?

@ttila

#49 Post by @ttila »

Only Lxqt on my testing debian.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#50 Post by Hallvor »

debiandonder wrote:I am using KDE Plasma 5.8.6 in Debian 9, but the later versions are faster according to articles I have read.

I don't know if I can just upgrade the KDE version alone on Debian 9 without any problems?

I don't think so. If you must have the latest stuff, there are better options than Debian out there.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD