Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Adding Custom Fonts To Debian on Chromebook OS

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Del087

Adding Custom Fonts To Debian on Chromebook OS

#1 Post by Del087 »

Hello All,

First and foremost, I am extremely new to Debian/Linux so, please be easy on me. I just purchased a new Samsung Chromebook(71.0.3578.94) and due to the fact that I use Inkscape and GIMP a lot, I had to activate/install Linux(Linux penguin 4.14) and I desperately need to figure out how to add custom fonts. I've done plenty of research but, can't seem to get it right. The two major fonts I need are Open Sans and Paladins. I've seen a lot of things telling me to add to "usr/share/fonts" folder but, I have no idea where that is or how to get to it. I'm just not privy to the Linux "jargon" at this point so, with any assistance you might be able to offer, please be explicit. Thanks for your time and hopefully someone can help me out.

GarryRicketson

Re: Adding Custom Fonts To Debian on Chromebook OS

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

It is difficult to help someone that is not willing to make some effort to help their self, and
become familiar with some of the basic Linux commands,
I'm just not privy to the Linux "jargon" at this point so, with any assistance you might be able to offer, please be explicit.
I am not sure what you mean by "jargon", I am assuming commands.
The two major fonts I need are Open Sans and Paladins. I've seen a lot of things telling me to add to "usr/share/fonts" folder but, I have no idea where that is or how to get to it.
I will be explicit, there is a command 'locate', 'man locate' is for the manual on the command. Some times it is use full for locating files and directories, I don't use "folders" my self, but I am under the impression it is a windows user term, for directories.
You can change directories using the 'cd' command, this assuming the directory exists, if it does not exist, you need to create it. 'mkdir' is the command for that. Below is some examples,

Code: Select all

man cd
For the manual,

cd /user/share/fonts
Would change the directory, and put you in the directory "fonts", if it exists. If it does not exist, you would use the 'mkdir' command.

mkdir /user/share/fonts

man mkdir
for more details. You may also find the 'ls' command usefull, and the 'pwd' command.
It would be considerably easier for some one to help you, if you just take the time to become a little familiar with the so called "linux jargon", to be honest I am not sure what that is, but m if you mean the linux commands,try this:
Learn the basic Linux commands
There is plenty of very explicit tutorials, pick any that you like, I just took the first one:
(maybe yoy can not access the search engine or something)
https://maker.pro/linux/tutorial/basic- ... -beginners

Then using the term jargon, also gets some results: this one is very explicit:
http://dailylinuxuser.com/2016/06/the-e ... uster.html

The problem, if we need to be explicit and explain all the most basic commands, and terms that may be used in trying to help you install the fonts you want, well, that is a entirely different topic, but yes you are correct, so first things first, learn a little about the basic commands, jargon,etc, you will need that, then you might find the instructions you find on: Adding Custom Fonts To Debian on Chromebook OS
Once you are familiar with some basic commands and jargon, the instructions will make more sense. And like wise the instructions here, below:
https://wiki.debian.org/Fonts

stevepusser

Re: Adding Custom Fonts To Debian on Chromebook OS

#3 Post by stevepusser »

If you're using the default GNOME 3 desktop, install font-manager and then use that to install fonts.

You can also install fonts in your home folder for just yourself, instead of systemwide. This means you don't need special permission to add them.

"~" is used as shorthand for the current user's home folder, so if your files are in /home/joe, "~/Desktop" = "/home/joe/Desktop".

The hidden local folder for installing fonts is "~/.fonts" or "~/.local/share/fonts", either one works.
MX Linux packager and developer