Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

email contacts from kmail

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
burkeFamily

email contacts from kmail

#1 Post by burkeFamily »

Good evening,

I am new to linux and debian. I am running debian 9 (stable) with kde5 on an older Dell laptop.

I setup my email account on kmail and I decided to use a different mail client. After I deleted my account from kmail, at least I believe I deleted the account, I noticed that my email contacts seem to be stored. As an example, when I search for something I see a new section within the search results. This section has the header of 'contacts' and displays all of my email contacts that meet my search criteria.

I've cleared the history, deleted the kmail account, looked in the contact application (KAddressBook), and search unsuccessfully. I haven't been able to find a way to delete that contact list. I don't want these contacts stored and I would appreciate any help or guidance.

burkeFamily
Last edited by burkeFamily on 2019-01-23 02:04, edited 1 time in total.

bw123

Re: email contacts from kmail

#2 Post by bw123 »

YeaH, that is tricky stuff. The framework for most PIM on kde is called akonadi. The idea is to integrate all your 'online' contact methods like chat, email, addresses, phone numbers, appointments, etc... into one place. Sort of like windows did, or tried to do? yrs ago. PIM, it's a concept - personal info manager, or management, like the blackberry thing. Type in a person's name, email, or phone, or tap their pic and you have multiple ways of contacting them, sending docs, whatever... blah blah.

It's not a bad idea. I disabled it myself long ago, and not sure how to remove the info once you start using it. You could grep your home folder and maybe find it? If you don't know about grep yet, then this would be a good practice.

Also, you can disable certain plugins from the krunner panel, (alt-F2, click the wrench, deselect Contacts) but it probably does not remove the info. It would just keep it from showing up in a searc

Ok I see you looked in address book, so my best guess would be grep to find it and physically edit/delete whatever file has stored it.
Last edited by bw123 on 2019-01-23 02:08, edited 1 time in total.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

burkeFamily

#3 Post by burkeFamily »

Thanks. I will learn about grep tomorrow as I continue my search.

I believe I looked at every address book and similar and found nothing.

If you don't mind, how did you disable this feature?

BurkeFamily

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

The best I recall, the idea is to disable autostart for everything that might start akonadi. It's in the panel under calendar, it's in kmail, it's in address book, it's in the alarm, and maybe several other places. If you want to totally disable it, don't ever use those apps, and don't let them autostart.

Also, many things are stored in "recent" so check ~/.local/share/RecentDocuments I don't know if contact/email links are stored, but it's possible.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

burkeFamily

#5 Post by burkeFamily »

@bw123,

Thank you. I found a handful of related files in the recents folder and deleted them. I also found what I believe to be kmail's database deep inside the ~/.local/share/ directory. There were two files; docdata.glass and postlist.glass. I deleted these files and the contacts seem to be gone.

I will keep watching and looking to make sure there are no additional remnants. Now I need to focus on stopping all of the autostarts. I did find an autostart panel which shows 'desktop file' and 'script file'. I need to do my homework.

burkeFamily