Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

filessystem full

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
ltoso

filessystem full

#1 Post by ltoso »

Hi,
I have an office file server based on Debian and today when I login it was giving lot of errors when I checked that filesystem is full
Now this server has three hard disks
one for system files and other two for file storage,
the ones for file storage have lot of space available but one that has system files doesn't have any space
I tried to run the following command to know the top directories by disk usage

du -ah / | sort -r -n | head -n 5
but the filesystem doesn't even have enough space to run this command, as it comes back saying not enough space in /tmp

now the hard disk that has system files has 148 GB of space which is now showing as full
Please help

Bulkley

Re: filessystem full

#2 Post by Bulkley »

I may be way off base here but for a stab in the dark: Regular use of Apt can fill up its storage. To clear it do

Code: Select all

apt-get clean

GarryRicketson

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

It might not matter much in this case, but still it would be nice to clarify this:
I have an office file server based on Debian
There are many distros "based on" Debian, but they are not the same as Debian, what exactly is the OS, distro ?

Code: Select all

uname -a 
Will give more details , if you don't know.
And show us some real output, I think the output of 'df' might be usefull, can you run that ?

ltoso

#4 Post by ltoso »

Thanx for so prompt reply guys, I found the solution,
Actually what happened that the two data hard disks were running an Rysnc on cron every hour and the last time I rebooted the machine the 2nd hard disk didn't mount (still need to check why)

But then all the data on 1st data disk got rsync to the mount folder on the system disc which got it filled.