Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian boot error - XZ compressed data is corrupt

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Neranus

Debian boot error - XZ compressed data is corrupt

#1 Post by Neranus »

Hello,
I do use Debian 9 for about one month, but know I can't boot over Linux, if I try to I got an error-alert "Xz-compressed data is corrupt --System halted". I do even have an Windows 10 at the same hard drive and I can boot over windows without any problems.
My processor is an Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6320 @ 1.86GHz
x64-based processor
Does anyone know, why this happens and -eventually- how to fix it?

Thanks
Neranus

P.s. I'm sorry for any grammar mistakes, because english is not my first language

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Debian boot error - XZ compressed data is corrupt

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Bad RAM, perhaps?

I can't remember if memtest is included in the Debian ISO image boot options, try starting it in non-UEFI mode (it won't work otherwise).

I searched the error message on your behalf (you're welcome) and one thread stated that re-seating the CPU removed the error.

Many other suggestions available from your favorite search engine :)
deadbang

ggbce

#3 Post by ggbce »

Hi,

Many people return a problem about RAM when "XZ-Compressed data is corrupt" and like Neranus I can confirm in our case it's nor linked to RAM issue. In his case, he have a dual boot machine with Windows where no problem with RAM... In my case, my Debian 10 (32-bit) machine is a VM in Oracle Virtualbox.

I tried to export my machine to another host and the issue is the same.

Then,

How to fix a corrupted machine that want to boot, then return this error:

Code: Select all

XZ-Compressed data is corrupt

-- System halted
without reinstalling from scratch. I have a big webserver on my VM that could need a lot of work to reinstall... This server is running since many years starting on Debian 5 upgraded to Debian 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 since 6 mothns without problem... !!!

It probably exist a method to run a LiveCD to fix startup ?

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by p.H »

It could be a kernel image (/boot/vmlinuz-*) corruption. Try reinstalling the kernel.