Some noob questions . Xfce

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Some noob questions . Xfce

Postby Udaba » 2019-03-18 00:43

Hello there , i just joined you ,thank you for your great job . I have some questions : 1)How i can edit the menu ? (Like i can hide About Xfce,Log out etc) 2)Is there any way to skip the GNU/Grab message at beggining? 3)Is there any kinda Store app you could reccomend me ?(except synaptics manager? :P) 4)Is there any way i can put shut down option at the menu (and replace it with log out see (1) .
Udaba

Re: Some noob questions . Xfce

Postby kevinthefixer » 2019-03-18 01:22

As you're in Beginner's section, I assume you mean EASY ways to do these things. I'm also assuming you're running Stable (stretch). So 1) I installed MenuLibre to edit my menu, XFCE doesn't put a calculator in the menu by default (I'm doing taxes right now). But you want to leave Log Out so you can shut down, restart etc. 2) Again, you don't want to lose the GRUB screen entirely, I shortened my 5-second wait by editing /etc/default/grub. Recommend reading it first, and of course you must be root or use sudo. 3) Synaptics, the GUI program for Apt, the package manager, is it. You can expand it by adding "contrib" and "non-free" repositories, but don't add any non-Debian repositories to your list, it will cause problems, probably sooner than later. 4) Covered.

Recommended reading:
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianIntroduction
You also have a tremendous wealth of info in a simple command in terminal (I like the XFCE terminal but XTerm will work or any other). The command is "man" (short for manual) followed by the name of the program you want info on. Try typing "man man" in terminal.

Searching this forum before posting is considered the thing to do, and you might even consider just browsing it, reading threads that catch your interest. Caution, though, doing this might lead to learning things.
kevinthefixer

Postby CwF » 2019-03-18 01:40

4) xfce panel entry "action buttons" gives a separate way for log off/shutdown.
CwF

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-03-18 07:00

Udaba wrote:Is there any kinda Store app you could reccomend me ?(except synaptics manager? :P)

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/gnome-software

EDIT: to get rid of the GRUB menu, edit /etc/default/grub and change GRUB_TIMEOUT to "0" then save the file and run `update-grub` (as root).

And in future please restrict yourself to a single question per thread with a clear title that indicates the nature of the specific problem.

These boards are a community resource rather than your personal help desk, a thread such as this is virtually useless to everybody else.

It would also be appropriate not to post questions for which the answer can be found by using a search engine.
Don't break DebianHow to report bugs

SharpBang GNU/Linux® — a pre-configured Openbox/Tint2 desktop running on Debian stable
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Ardouos » 2019-03-18 11:30

I would just like to add, you can change the default menu to the whisker menu, I think it is more customisable that the default. You might need to install it first though.

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/xfc ... enu-plugin
Ardouos

Postby sunrat » 2019-03-18 11:41

The package manager is called Synaptic, not synaptics! Sheesh. :(
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Postby kevinthefixer » 2019-03-18 11:56

sunrat wrote:The package manager is called Synaptic, not synaptics! Sheesh. :(

Oops.
kevinthefixer

Postby GarryRicketson » 2019-03-18 13:10

I have some questions : 1)How i can edit the menu ? (Like i can hide About Xfce,Log out etc)

How i can edit the xfce menu ?
1st hit, and also answers some of the other questions:
https://wiki.xfce.org/howto/customize-menu

I don't use Xfce myself, but I bet the wiki is full of good information on configuring it, etc.
GarryRicketson

Postby CwF » 2019-03-18 13:11

Synaptic and 'Store app' in the same sentence is almost blasphemous. The best gui on the best package manager, literally sliced bread, very much a hallmark of Debian. Perhaps Xubuntu is more appropriate.
CwF

Postby stevepusser » 2019-03-18 17:56

Yeah, we made our own "software store" for the XFCE MX Linux, but it doesn't have pretty pictures or ratings, just the one line short description. We did make it pretty safe and easy to install from stretch-backports, the MX test repo, or flatpaks if those fail, though, which most of the other stores don't. It will even install third-party debs like Chrome, Slimjet, or Master PDF Editor. (RMS gnashes his teeth)

https://mxlinux.org/wiki/help-files/hel ... installer/
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Clipgrab 3.8.6, Hedgewars 1.0.0, PulseEffects 4.6.9, Telegram-desktop 1.8.15, Pale Moon 28.8.0, KeepassXC 2.5.1
stevepusser

Postby CwF » 2019-03-18 18:13

stevepusser wrote:Yeah, ... XFCE MX Linux

I'll edit my thought, yes, perhaps MX would be better.
CwF

Postby sunrat » 2019-03-18 21:03

kevinthefixer wrote:
sunrat wrote:The package manager is called Synaptic, not synaptics! Sheesh. :(

Oops.

It was OP who first referred to it, you just echoed. It is now my mission to nip inaccuracies like this in the bud.

“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Postby Udaba » 2019-03-18 21:59

Thank you all for your answers . Well the xfce manual , didnt help . i cant find the menu file , so i cant edit it :/ I have downloaded whisker menu but i cant find anywhere . And lastly i find already "action buttons" , but thats not what i need :/ i need to edit the "menu" value , from log out to shut down .
what i have to do to create the menu file to edit it?
Udaba

Postby GarryRicketson » 2019-03-18 22:23

From https://wiki.xfce.org/howto/customize-menu :
Create ~/.config/menus directory (if it doesn't exist already):

what i have to do to create the menu file to edit it?

Code: Select all
man mkdir

To learn how to make a directory. As far as editing, or creating any files, just use your favourite text editor, if it is a new file, save the file using the name you want to use.
It might be better for you to learn to crawl, before trying to walk and run, example, learn some basic linux commands, and get a better understanding of the commands available etc, then later when you understand things better, you can move on to more advanced things, like customizing the Desktop menus,etc,..
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2019-03-19 01:01, edited 1 time in total.
GarryRicketson

Postby Udaba » 2019-03-18 22:36

do i have to create the menu file , restart and edit it then? cause its gonna be blank :?
Udaba

Next

Return to Beginners Questions