Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Samba Share Directly settings?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Munty Scruntfundle

Samba Share Directly settings?

#1 Post by Munty Scruntfundle »

Hi there.

I'm trying to move data from a Nas onto a Debian/Raspbian node with a usb/sata drive.

I've used Samba before, but only as a data store and backup, now I need to give permissions to users and I'm getting a bit stuck.

On the Samba Server I have an entry in smb.conf of:
[ClusterG]
comment=Cluster-G
path=/sata/DriveG
browsable=yes
writable=yes
only guest=no
create mask=0777
directory mask=0777
public=yes

But, what chmod or clowns do I need to give the directory and the files within? Under some testing I've had to set the shared directory to 0777 which is less than ideal, but with this setting root can at least write new files to the share, over the network, but can't write over/edit existing files. Only my default user and root need access to the directory and I've tried clowning them from the server, but I don't get the results I expect or need. The only way I can get everything to be editable by these two users is to again assign 0777, which I'd sooner not do.

What am I missing here?

Thanks.