Debian netinstall with startx

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Debian netinstall with startx

Postby AriLogue » 2019-03-20 12:17

Hi friends,

I want do a minimal install & netinstall.iso with lxde is the best choice for me. (may be just install openbox + lxpanel better than lxde but i don't how to do it)
It installs everything that for minimal usage, nothing more and enough for me that. Simple installation for me because i'm using an old netbook with atom n455 processor with 2db (dell mini 1018)

I don't want install os from scratch with terminal because you must be an expert (you must know which package first install, which which is last, you must know which folders you must make, which config files to edit, bla bla)

But i don't want a gui some cases. Sometimes terminal is enough for me like ssh connections. So if i want a gui than i want to use startx to boot lightdm or directly wm/de, if i don't want i want to boot to a gui i'm good with terminal.

Is it possible to eliminate directly booting to lightdm or wm/de? If it is possible how?

Thanks from now
AriLogue

Re: Debian netinstall with startx

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-03-20 12:32

This will configure a console login and disable the display manager:
Code: Select all
# systemctl set-default multi-user.target # graphical.target will get lightdm back

Using systemd.unit=multi-user.target as a kernel command line parameter will also boot the system to a console login but retain the display manager as the default if the parameter is not used.

AriLogue wrote:may be just install openbox + lxpanel better than lxde but i don't how to do it

As root:
apt install xorg openbox lxpanel
update-alternatives --set x-session-manager /usr/bin/openbox-session

Then as your normal user (from a console login):
mkdir -p ~/.config/openbox
cp /etc/xdg/openbox/* ~/.config/openbox
echo 'lxpanel &' >> ~/.config/openbox/autostart
startx

See also http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Autostart

Note that plain `startx` from a console login is preferable to LightDM because the latter runs X as root (but GDM will run X as your normal user if you prefer a display manager).
Don't break DebianHow to report bugs

SharpBang GNU/Linux® — a pre-configured Openbox/Tint2 desktop running on Debian stable
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Debian netinstall with startx

Postby TonyT » 2019-03-25 11:54

Why do you even need a display manager? Haven't used one in 15 years. Just use startx or startx && exit to get to gui.
TonyT

Return to Beginners Questions