LibreOffice incomplete install - multiple attempts

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Re: LibreOffice incomplete install - multiple attempts

Postby stevepusser » 2019-03-29 18:58

Right, Debian doesn't put user friendliness as the top priority. That's left to Debian derivatives like MX Linux, Ubuntu, etc.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Clipgrab 3.8.6, Hedgewars 1.0.0, PulseEffects 4.6.8, Telegram-desktop 1.8.15, Pale Moon 28.7.2, KeepassXC 2.5.1
stevepusser

Re: LibreOffice incomplete install - multiple attempts

Postby kevinthefixer » 2019-04-04 02:16

I bought a cheap Chromebook a couple years ago just to see what the fuss was about. For any average Joe (or Jane) that wants to do e-mail, Facebook, write the occasional letter, look at the pics they took with their 'phone, ChromeOS is fine and has very little learning curve. I found it extremely limiting. At that time the only guide to a Linux installation for that machine was Arch Linux. You think Debian is noob-unfriendly, don't even think about Arch! Here you are expected to do your homework before you ask for help getting out of trouble; in Arch, you are expected to do that before you get into trouble, and you're doing it with the latest stuff. But people buy Chromebooks for two reasons: 1) they are cheap, and 2) they are simple. I certainly hope people are not expecting Debian to be simple just because they managed to install it on their Chromebook! Just a word of warning though: Debian running in chroot on a Chromebook (or anywhere else) IS NOT DEBIAN and cannot be expected to be as stable and trouble-free as true Debian. It is running the ChromeOS kernel and firmware, the keyboard and who knows what else. One more note: for a real beginner, looking at the guides written for new Raspberry Pi users is highly recommended. By me, if nobody else. You might even think about buying a RPi just to learn on, you can get kits well under US$100 that has all you need to get going assuming you have a TV set. The default OS for the Pi is Debian stable with a desktop environment developed by the RPi foundation (a fork of LXDE). Running sudo apt update is one of the first things they recommend you do to your new RPi once it's up and running, would have saved our OP a lot of trouble. There is a version released for regular PCs that can be run "live" from CD or USB or installed.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/
kevinthefixer

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions