Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

LibreOffice incomplete install - multiple attempts

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
plw

LibreOffice incomplete install - multiple attempts

#1 Post by plw »

Hello! I suppose this is a beginner's forum, but still, please forgive my relative ignorance.

I am using x86-64 Debian on a Samsung Chromebook Plus V2. I have spent quite a few hours trying to install LibreOffice using two different methods (and deleting Linux and all apps and files in between attempts to make sure I am working with a clean slate each time).

I tried two methods.
First: was following the guide on the LibreOffice wiki for terminal-based installation(https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Doc ... ed_Install).

Second: was using the Flatpak process found here (https://itschromeos.com/2018/12/28/how- ... chrome-os/), but modifying the final command to be

Code: Select all

$ sudo flatpak install flathub org.libreoffice.LibreOffice
THE RESULT FOR BOTH METHODS is what looks like a successful installation (apps show up in their appropriate place in the Launcher as well as the directory), but none of the LibreOffice apps successfully load. The intro logo/load image appears for a second or less and then disappears. It seems like I'm missing some key element. I did make sure I had Java successfully installed since I have read that can be a source of errors as well.

Below are some screen/code shots for clarity's sake. Any suggestions would be most appreciated! In your kind replies, please assume I am ignorant and don't know enough to put your general suggestions into practice without pretty detailed instructions.

poxxxxx@penguin:~$ hostnamectl
   Static hostname: penguin
         Icon name: computer-container
           Chassis: container
        Machine ID: f796d2149d18420f1950e81cdb379693
           Boot ID: 74d7385ccc224ce2ad5ffecf1e563f83
    Virtualization: lxc
  Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
            Kernel: Linux 4.19.4-02480-gd44d301822f0
      Architecture: x86-64

poxxxxx@penguin:~$ ls
LibreOffice.flatpak  org.libreoffice.LibreOffice.flatpakref
poxxxxx@penguin:~$ java -version
openjdk version "1.8.0_212"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_212-8u212-b01-1~deb9u1-b01)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.212-b01, mixed mode)

arzgi

Re: LibreOffice incomplete install - multiple attempts

#2 Post by arzgi »

Debian's package manager is apt, no need to use flatpak or any other 3rd party solution.

Wiew https://wiki.debian.org/PackageManagement

Since you already know how to use CLI, here an example, must be run as root, if you have not configured sudo:

# apt install libreoffice
and that's it.

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

There is also a newer version (6.1.5~rc) in stretch-backports. See backports.org for the instructions you need to install it from there.
MX Linux packager and developer

plw

#4 Post by plw »

Result:

poxxxxx@penguin:~$ apt install libreoffice
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
poxxxxx@penguin:~$ # apt install libreoffice
poxxxxx@penguin:~$ 
I know you need to either be "root" (honestly I've heard of this but know very little) or use some kind of alternative method to install. Any further guidance would be appreciated.

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

plw

#6 Post by plw »

I followed the link (https://wiki.debian.org/Root), which stated
However, it's recommended to configure and use sudo (or gksudo) to run a given command

Accordingly, I ran

poxxxxx@penguin:~$ sudo apt install libreoffice
Result:

E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?
OK then. Sounds like a good enough idea...

poxxxxx@penguin:~$ sudo apt-get update
Seemed to do the trick, since re-running the install command was successful. Apps all open now. Thank you so much for your help!

Last question, for curiosity's sake... Can someone explain the lack of this showing in my directory now? It works, which is all I care about, but it would help me understand the system better to know.

poxxxxx@penguin:~$ ls -a
.  ..  .bash_history  .bash_logout  .bashrc  .cache  .config  .profile

GarryRicketson

#7 Post by GarryRicketson »

Can someone explain the lack of this showing in my directory now?
Not positive what you mean by "this", if you mean libreoffice,

Try

locate libreoffice 
and see what that shows

If it is something else, replace the word libreoffice with what ever "this" is.

plw

#8 Post by plw »

That's just it. The directory command turns up nothing.

Using your instructions:

poxxxxx@penguin:~$ locate libreoffice
-bash: locate: command not found
Yet, LibreOffice is undoubtedly there and functional.

Another odd thing... I created a couple test documents in LibreOffice. Solid Explorer file manager cannot locate them--searching for file names or extensions turn up empty and the My Files>Linux Files folder isn't even visible. But, the built in Chrome OS explorer has them in the right place. Related issues??

GarryRicketson

#9 Post by GarryRicketson »

poxxxxx@penguin:~$ locate libreoffice
Note it says "command not found",

Apparently you do not have the 'locate' command installed, I thought it comes with Debian by default, but guess I was wrong on that.
https://www.tecmint.com/install-locate- ... in-centos/

$ sudo apt install mlocate  
All though it says for centOS, it can be applied to Debian, infact It shows the install mlocate for Debian:
sudo apt install mlocate [On Debian/Ubuntu]
see:
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/mlocate
================================

There are also other commands available to 'find' or locate files,and packages that have been installed. This is use full: https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... ls.en.html
==============
To learn about the other commands as well:
What commands on Linux can I use to locate and find files
==================================
1 of many: https://www.linode.com/docs/tools-refer ... mand-line/
===========
Also, Where are the libreoffice files on Debian
=====
Probably the most use full, of many hits
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Doc ... tall/Linux

#updatedb 
#locate libreoffice | less 
(but again, you do need to install mlocate first)
You can also try:

find libreoffice

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

A better command is simply

which libreoffice
which works out of the box, and shows you where the libreoffice executable is in /usr/bin. "locate libreoffice" will throw thousands of results if libreoffice's installed.

plw, you need to read a beginner's guide to Debian and learn its differences from Windows, rather than ask here every simple question answered there. Here's one answer, though. Debian's apt package manager installs files systemwide for all users, outside of your home folder, which is why you don't see anything. The only thing stored in your home will be your user's settings, which for libreoffice are in the hidden .config folder.

As for sudo vs. root...there are plenty of people that will argue that using root is a lot better than sudo.

plw

#11 Post by plw »

stevepusser wrote: plw, you need to read a beginner's guide to Debian and learn its differences from Windows, rather than ask here every simple question answered there.
Understood. Indeed, I did make sure to do everything in the "What we expect you have already done" instructions, probably 15 hours of doing my (unsuccessful) best before resigning myself to joining the hoards of baby birds peeping incessantly on forums, begging for regurgitated material they can consume quickly and without discretion--furiously copy-pasting various commands--to satisfy their cravings. Like the baby birds, though, new users, if nurtured, eventually grow up, learn to fend for themselves, and even "raise their own" in time.

I grew up using MS-DOS in the 80s and early 90s, and am not scared of a CLI. But I never read any sort of guide about it. I learned by sitting silently beside my dad for hours and watching him work. For something as un-intuitive and variable as Linux, a personal Guide is much more effective than a Manual. And I sincerely appreciate the valuable, free, relatively thankless service you provided in Guiding me up to this point.

Most people proficient at any skill suffer from what is called the "Curse of Knowledge", where they are unable to grasp that someone without their level of knowledge could possibly be as deficient as they are. All the reading I've done as part of my new part time job (learning Linux) suggests that perhaps proficient users of Linux are not immune to that Curse.

After your very gentle rebuke, I have been attempting to sift through the literally hundreds of pages of dense and technical text within the scores of links in the Beginner's Guide on this site, before I ask for further assistance in my current task of trying to figure out how to install new fonts in foreign scripts. But the sheer volume of unintelligible information within first couple links and paragraphs is nearly beyond my endurance.

So then I am at a bit of a crossroads. If asking questions that seem absurdly elementary to proficient users are viewed as an annoyance, I will happily fade away from your forum. Or you can help guide me to resources that will help me establish the skills and knowledge I, and other new users, need to do what I need to do in Linux independently in time and propagate the system that you believe in enough to use it the way you do.

Please advise.

GarryRicketson

#12 Post by GarryRicketson »

If asking questions that seem absurdly elementary to proficient users are viewed as an annoyance, I will happily fade away from your forum---snip--- Please advise.
If you find it annoying when others suggest doing some searches, then you might not be very happy here, but are all ways welcome. No need to "fade away" as you say.
I could go on, but really this would be better in another topic, and we should concentrated on your problems with LibreOffice, Steve is right on the 'which' command, it does not give so many results, I am prone to using 'locate', in your case , maybe try both and see the differences. A good rule of thumb on the search first, yes we all know quite often the results are overwhelming, and often not clear, other times, the results will give you a clear answer, much more quickly then asking us, and waiting, only to get a response like "you can find the answer if you did a search ",... so any way, when you are writing your post, and reach a point where you have a question, open a search engine, type the question into it and see what comes up, if nothing comes up, obviously you need to ask us here, you can copy paste the same question into your post, and will have to wait for a answer before you can proceed, sometimes continuing to search and read the results still will get a answer faster then what you will get here.
For example only, since you all ready have been given the answer to the problem you had when it said "command not found" on the 'locate' command, simply copy the error message and paste it into a search engine:
Now it has gotten rather confusing to me, what exactly is the problem ?
by plw » Yet, LibreOffice is undoubtedly there and functional.

Another odd thing... I created a couple test documents in LibreOffice. Solid Explorer file manager cannot locate them--searching for file names or extensions turn up empty and the My Files>Linux Files folder isn't even visible. But, the built in Chrome OS explorer has them in the right place. Related issues??
If Libreoffice is functioning, then what is the problem ? I have no clue what "Solid Explorer file manager " is, maybe that is the problem ? I will now need to do a search: key words "what is Solid Explorer file manager", or maybe you can find those files using some of the new commands you have learned, Maybe you are not saving the files correctly when you use Libreoffice, ? I also find these "My Files>Linux Files folder isn't even visible" confusing, "folders", ? Do you mean directories ?, Having spaces in directory and file names, can cause some real headaches, I never use them.
why you should not use spaces in Directory names and file names on Linux
===
Are you sure this is Linux ? The spaces in the Folder name, and file names, could be causing problems in locating them, assuming "folder" is actually a directory.
I do know, there are some additional commands, or options one can use, in dealing with directory names, or file names that have spaces, but since I NEVER use spaces in my directory names, nor file names, I will need to do some more searches, to find those command options, here is one:
https://www.hecticgeek.com/2014/02/spac ... mand-line/

ahh, and speaking of baby birds:
by plw »before resigning myself to joining the hoards of baby birds peeping incessantly on forums, begging for regurgitated material they can consume quickly and without discretion--furiously copy-pasting various commands--to satisfy their cravings. Like the baby birds, though, new users, if nurtured, eventually grow up, learn to fend for themselves, and even "raise their own" in time.
Mine are driving me up a wall, and some are even trying to eat me alive, so I must go and take care of them now.
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2019-03-28 23:06, edited 1 time in total.

GarryRicketson

#13 Post by GarryRicketson »

Well, I did a search on "Solid Explorer file manager " now I know, That does not seem to be a package for Debian, nor something for Debian, I am going to bail out here, I don't know about these things at all, and then I looked at the image posted,
But it does not look like any OS I am familiar with, all though the console does look like a linux terminal, What is all that weird stuff at the bottom ? Never seen anything like that at all, so I don't think I can help on this, sorry

stevepusser

#14 Post by stevepusser »

Worth reading: https://www.lifewire.com/beginners-guid ... ux-4090233

The Synaptic package manager lets you search for and install packages in a GUI, as well as a lot of other things.

apt-get install synaptic
It's not as pretty as gnome-software, but probably better overall. Once you get experience, you'll find that using the command line to manage packages is faster and more powerful.

MX Linux has a good user guide, just ignore the MX-specific parts: https://www.mxlinux.org/user_manual_mx1 ... -Section-5

plw

#15 Post by plw »

OK Thank you all again for your recommendations.

I am using a chromebook, which now allows users to opt in to using Linux in a sandbox environment. Sort of like dual-booting, I think. Anyways, for security reasons, the two systems are sequestered from one another. The native file explorer on the chromebook has access to both sides, and other third-party ones (such as Solid Explorer, which also allows for client-side document encryption--my reason for wanting to use it) were supposed to also have such access by now, but my machine apparently hasn't yet received the requisite update. Anyways, question answered. Thank you again.

I'll investigate the links you've posted. My biggest difficulty up to this point has been in finding reliable, relevant resources that I can understand and apply correctly. Hopefully the resources you've recommended get me over the hump.

EDIT:
After reading the Lifewire link about, among other things, the various distributions of Linux, a couple things became clearer. Probably you should expect an increase in this sub-forums traffic. Debian (which I didn't even know I had on this system until I had put in about 8 hours trying to figure out what was going on) is the distribution that Chrome OS allows you to run, if you enable. As chromebooks continue to grow in popularity, so will the ranks of very, very underinformed new users who all of a sudden found themselves sitting in front of an OS that they never would have sought out, but are curious to try. Since the Lifewire link, and perhaps other sources comparing distributions, don't list Debian's main advantages as user-friendliness, I would guess most new users and visitors to this forum are a good deal more initiated and capable than I am.

stevepusser

#16 Post by stevepusser »

Right, Debian doesn't put user friendliness as the top priority. That's left to Debian derivatives like MX Linux, Ubuntu, etc.

kevinthefixer

#17 Post by kevinthefixer »

I bought a cheap Chromebook a couple years ago just to see what the fuss was about. For any average Joe (or Jane) that wants to do e-mail, Facebook, write the occasional letter, look at the pics they took with their 'phone, ChromeOS is fine and has very little learning curve. I found it extremely limiting. At that time the only guide to a Linux installation for that machine was Arch Linux. You think Debian is noob-unfriendly, don't even think about Arch! Here you are expected to do your homework before you ask for help getting out of trouble; in Arch, you are expected to do that before you get into trouble, and you're doing it with the latest stuff. But people buy Chromebooks for two reasons: 1) they are cheap, and 2) they are simple. I certainly hope people are not expecting Debian to be simple just because they managed to install it on their Chromebook! Just a word of warning though: Debian running in chroot on a Chromebook (or anywhere else) IS NOT DEBIAN and cannot be expected to be as stable and trouble-free as true Debian. It is running the ChromeOS kernel and firmware, the keyboard and who knows what else. One more note: for a real beginner, looking at the guides written for new Raspberry Pi users is highly recommended. By me, if nobody else. You might even think about buying a RPi just to learn on, you can get kits well under US$100 that has all you need to get going assuming you have a TV set. The default OS for the Pi is Debian stable with a desktop environment developed by the RPi foundation (a fork of LXDE). Running sudo apt update is one of the first things they recommend you do to your new RPi once it's up and running, would have saved our OP a lot of trouble. There is a version released for regular PCs that can be run "live" from CD or USB or installed.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/