Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Tap click touchpad

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Vilvasic

Tap click touchpad

#1 Post by Vilvasic »

The tap click on my touchpad doesn't work until I use the sudo synclient TapButton1=1 command. However, after I restart my laptop the touchpad no longer works again and I have to use the the same command again. Is there a way to make to change permenant. Im running Debian stretch with KDE.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Tap click touchpad

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Copy /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-synaptics.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-synaptics.conf then edit the file and add this option:

Code: Select all

Option TapButton1 "1"
More here: synaptics(4).
deadbang

Vilvasic

#3 Post by Vilvasic »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Copy /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-synaptics.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-synaptics.conf then edit the file and add this option:

Option TapButton1 "1"
When I copy 70-synaptics do I delete it from the old location? because I can't copy it under the same name. Or is it ok if I change it's name and copy it. I'm sorry I'm really clueless.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Vilvasic wrote:I can't copy it under the same name
Why not? What happens when you try?

FWIW, the file can be called whatever you like as long as it ends with .conf
deadbang

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

Seems odd that you can't copy it, the new path is a different directory, you should be able to use the same name for the file:

# /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-synaptics.conf  /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-synaptics.conf 
The # indicates you need to use sudo or su, usually that is the case when copying to the /etc directory, but any way it (#) is NOT part of the command.
You can copy it to a new name, as all ready mentioned, as long as it ends with .conf
Or is it ok if I change it's name and copy it.
Well, if you are having a problem copying the original file, to a new directory, path,... changing the name of the file first, and then copying it will not do any good, you will still have the same problem, I think you should, as requested show us the error you get and exactly how it is you are trying to copy it,..
by Vilvasic »I'm sorry I'm really clueless.

Well you said it, not me, no need to apologize, but also I think it is more of a case of not knowing how to use logic, and think for your self a little, but the same, it takes time to learn that.
Apply some logic: "I am clueless", so where can I get some clues ?,... maybe you did not know, but the 'man' command exists so that clueless people can get clues about the command they are trying to use:
For example:

man cp
Will give you some clues as to how to use the command.
When I copy 70-synaptics do I delete it from the old location?
No, that is not a good idea, What will you do if things go wrong, and you need a copy of it again ?, a good practice is to make a copy, save it with a new name, something like:
70-synaptics-original.conf , or what ever you want, but be sure it is clear that it is a copy of the original file.
Post by Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-03-30 04:48

Vilvasic wrote:
I can't copy it under the same name

Let us know exactly what happens when you try to copy the file, as requested.

Vilvasic

#6 Post by Vilvasic »

GarryRicketson wrote:Seems odd that you can't copy it, the new path is a different directory, you should be able to use the same name for the file:

# /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-synaptics.conf  /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-synaptics.conf 
The # indicates you need to use sudo or su, usually that is the case when copying to the /etc directory, but any way it (#) is NOT part of the command.
You can copy it to a new name, as all ready mentioned, as long as it ends with .conf
Or is it ok if I change it's name and copy it.
Well, if you are having a problem copying the original file, to a new directory, path,... changing the name of the file first, and then copying it will not do any good, you will still have the same problem, I think you should, as requested show us the error you get and exactly how it is you are trying to copy it,..
by Vilvasic »I'm sorry I'm really clueless.

Well you said it, not me, no need to apologize, but also I think it is more of a case of not knowing how to use logic, and think for your self a little, but the same, it takes time to learn that.
Apply some logic: "I am clueless", so where can I get some clues ?,... maybe you did not know, but the 'man' command exists so that clueless people can get clues about the command they are trying to use:
For example:

man cp
Will give you some clues as to how to use the command.
When I copy 70-synaptics do I delete it from the old location?
No, that is not a good idea, What will you do if things go wrong, and you need a copy of it again ?, a good practice is to make a copy, save it with a new name, something like:
70-synaptics-original.conf , or what ever you want, but be sure it is clear that it is a copy of the original file.
Post by Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-03-30 04:48

Vilvasic wrote:
I can't copy it under the same name
Option "TapButton1" "1"

Let us know exactly what happens when you try to copy the file, as requested.
Ok so I figured out how to properly copy and I did as you guys say. There was no xorg.conf.f in /etc/X11/ directory so I created one and I copied 70-synaptics.conf there. I went on to edit it and add Option "TapButton1" "1" but the touchpad is still not working after restarting.

GarryRicketson

#7 Post by GarryRicketson »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Copy /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-synaptics.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-synaptics.conf then edit the file and add this option:

Option TapButton1 "1"
Take a closer look at what he showed in the code boxes, and then what you show,
I went on to edit it and add Option "TapButton1" "1"
If ==============

Option "TapButton1" "1" 
WRONG
What H_O_AS showed: =

Option TapButton1 "1"
There are no " ". IN TapButton, why did you add those ?

ALSO : This:
There was no xorg.conf.f in /etc/X11/
NO, I guess there would not be, look at what H_O_A-S showed:

Copy /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-synaptics.conf to  /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-synaptics.conf  
The directory name is xorg.confd.d, /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ NOT xorg.conf.f in /etc/X11/

You need to pay attention to what you type, and make sure it is accurate.

Head_on_a_Stick

#8 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

In addition to Garry's observations:
Vilvasic wrote:I went on to edit it and add Option
Always post the edited file in full (along with it's full name and location), that way we can spot any other mistakes you may have made.
deadbang