fstab entry locking machine.

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

fstab entry locking machine.

Postby Munty Scruntfundle » 2019-04-11 16:14

Hi there.

On a Debian node I have an SSD attached via Sata with a relevant entry in fstab. This all works fine.

But, if the drive//cable is removed the machine halts during the boot process. It kind find the drive, therefore it stops.

Is there a way to bypass this behaviour? If the drive isn't found bugger it and carry booting? I don't understand why the default would be to basically crash.

Many thanks.
Munty Scruntfundle

Re: fstab entry locking machine.

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-04-11 16:39

Add nofail to the options for the drive.

Or use x-systemd.automount instead, see systemd.{auto,}mount(5) for more on this.

EDIT:
Munty Scruntfundle wrote: I don't understand why the default would be to basically crash.

Because mounts specified in /etc/fstab are considered critical and there is a option for the behaviour you want.
Don't break DebianHow to report bugs

SharpBang GNU/Linux — a pre-configured Openbox/Tint2 desktop running on Debian stable
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby p.H » 2019-04-11 17:54

AFAICS the automount feature is about automatic mounting on use, not on hotplug.
p.H

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-04-11 18:04

Yes, that's right but I think it will also stop the boot process from failing if the drive is not connected.

I mentioned the man pages so the OP can check if the extra features offered by the option are of any use.
Don't break DebianHow to report bugs

SharpBang GNU/Linux — a pre-configured Openbox/Tint2 desktop running on Debian stable
Head_on_a_Stick

Return to Beginners Questions