Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Getting 'gave up waiting for suspend resume device' on boot

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Getting 'gave up waiting for suspend resume device' on b

#21 Post by p.H »

emil_21 wrote:Somehow during the installation the id for swap partition in debian kde install was messed up in /etc/initrmfs-tools/conf.d/resume and in /boot/initrd.img-4.9.0-9-amd64. Correct?
Not exactly. When installing Debian Xfce, you let the installer use and format the existing swap. Formatting changes the swap UUID, so the original UUID in Debian KDE's fstab, resume and initramfs did not match the new swap UUID any more.
Bottom line : do not let the Debian installer use an existing swap partition used by another system unless you know exactly what you are doing. If you have enough disk space, use a separate swap space for each system. Otherwise, it is easier to add an existing swap after the installation.
Side note : sharing the swap space prevents hibernating a system and rebooting to the other.
emil_21 wrote:Also, if i understand correctly how the multiboot system is working the last installed OS, in my case debian xfce, will install grub in mbr sector. So, if i run 'update-grub' from debian kde this will not update grub in mbr sector, i have to run 'update-grub' from debian xfce to update grub in mbr sector. Correct?
Globally correct.
The last installed OS installed GRUB where you told it to. If you did not want to install it in the MBR, you could select another location. Any ext4 partition on the same disk as the root partition is fine.
During the installation of the latest system (Debian Xfce), if you chose to install GRUB in the MBR, then it replaced the existing GRUB (installed by Debian KDE) and took over the boot process.
Any GRUB instance uses the config file grub.cfg generated by its owner system. grub.cfg must be updated (by update-grub) after installing a new kernel. This is done automatically on the system the kernel is installed on, but not on the system which owns the active GRUB if different. So you must do it manually.

Note that there are other ways to manage multiboot which do not require to update the active GRUB.

emil_21

#22 Post by emil_21 »

Why the debian kde install have two kernels in /boot, and debian xfce install one kernel in /boot?

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#23 Post by p.H »

I guess that Debian KDE was initially installed with kernel 4.9.0-8 and was later updated with kernel 4.9.0-9, whereas Debian Xfce was initially installed with kernel 4.9.0-9.
Installing a newer kernel does not automatically remove older kernels.

emil_21

#24 Post by emil_21 »

If i want to rename the menu entries in the grub boot menu do i have to edit the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file on the debian xfce install?

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#25 Post by wizard10000 »

Okay, I guess I'll ask the question :mrgreen:

Is there a reason why you have KDE and XFCE in separate Debian installations?
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

emil_21

#26 Post by emil_21 »

Just testing different desktop environments. So far i think i like better kde. And also learning about how to install and have multiboot system.

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#27 Post by wizard10000 »

emil_21 wrote:Just testing different desktop environments. So far i think i like better kde. And also learning about how to install and have multiboot system.
Ah. Kind of an interesting way to test but do whatever works for you :)
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#28 Post by p.H »

emil_21 wrote:If i want to rename the menu entries in the grub boot menu do i have to edit the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file on the debian xfce install?
You can, but it is not advised to edit grub.cfg directly because this file is automatically re-generated each time update-grub is invoked, e.g. when a kernel package is installed, updated or removed, so manual changes are not persistent.

How do you want to change the menu entries ? If you want to replace the "Debian" string in a system's menu entries, you can edit /etc/default/grub on that system and change the GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR definition, for example :

Code: Select all

GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="Debian KDE"
#old definition GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
Unfortunately this does not affect the main menu entries generated by another system. The custom name is visible only in the "Advanced" submenu entries.
wizard10000 wrote:Is there a reason why you have KDE and XFCE in separate Debian installations?
emil_21 wrote:Just testing different desktop environments.
Note that you can install multiple desktop environments in the same system and select the one you want to use in the desktop manager.

emil_21

#29 Post by emil_21 »

I edited /etc/default/grub on both, debian kde and xfce install, and it worked for xfce, but it didn't worked for kde which is expected i guess. So, i am not sure how to change the menu entry for kde install.

I know i can install multiple desktop environments on one debian install, but this will mix the applications from the different desktop environments, and i want clean install for each.