Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 10, save .txt to offline SAMBA freezes entire system!

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Chiefahol2

Debian 10, save .txt to offline SAMBA freezes entire system!

#1 Post by Chiefahol2 »

Just trying to save a .txt file onto a samba share, surprise! The file explorer in gnome said i do not have permission to access the file i was just editing and saving a few moments earlier. A cli inspection said the opposite. ???

Seems crazy the default text editor in gnome will freeze the entire system if it can't save a file. :S It should be more chill. I guess i have to reboot now, lord knows how muuch work i've lost. :evil: Even the system clock is frozen, wow, saving that 1 insignificant file correctly must be awfully critical to the systems functioning. :P

0/10, Debian should be OK with saving files, and if it can't save them it should handle that in a nice way and not hang the entire system, make sure that's looked at before you go declaring this thing ready. It seems far from ready.

Bloom
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

Re: Debian 10, save .txt to offline SAMBA freezes entire sys

#2 Post by Bloom »

Your system isn't frozen: it is unresponsive. There's a difference. Control will come back to you, after the system has experienced a time-out waiting for the network resource. I agree that that should have been handled better.

kevinthefixer

#3 Post by kevinthefixer »

Is this the same system and same problem you posted in another thread? Please don't do that! Debian 10 Buster is currently Testing: expect to quash bugs! You're using an OS still in testing stage, across a SAMBA connection, to an encrypted volume on a server that you don't specify and then complaining about losing valuable data?

Chiefahol2

#4 Post by Chiefahol2 »

Stupid thing is frozen again just from trivial crap (looking at a file). How do you deal with unresponsiveness? I can't shut this thing down because Debian 10 is a monster hell bent on destroying everybodies files. :P

Help please!