Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Wifi Drivers Not available on Live CD

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
LechonLover

#1 Post by LechonLover »

Hi,

I am new to linux, being trying many different versions (Ubuntu, Elementary, Kali, Fedora, Mint....) and I have really loved using it and learning about them.

From the beginning I have wanted to try Debian but have struggled to find any solution on how to get Wifi connectivity to work. On the majority of all the other Linux OS i have tried, drivers are available and I can get connectivity, but on Debian Live CD, nothing shows up. I can install it, but don't know how I could find the hardware, and download the driver that would be compatible with Debian.

The version I am using is "debian-live9.9.0-amd64-gnome.iso". My system is an HP-X360 Pavillion laptop, only a couple months old. So it is a newer system, which is why I selected the amd64 version.

Thanks,
Simon

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

Re: Wifi Drivers Not available on Live CD

#2 Post by 4D696B65 »

post the output of

Code: Select all

lspci -nn | grep -i network

benreis61

#3 Post by benreis61 »

I took the same version and my laptop is a hp spectre x360.
While Installation he said me what he needed. I downloaded the driver stored them on usb and the installation was successfully. my wlan works super. At the and I switched to Sid. Works wonderfully.

But notice. You have to take non-free version

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Debian considers that a feature, not a bug.

Debian ISOs with the non-free firmware are easily found with even the worst web search engines. Be aware that Debian 9 may not work if your hardware is 2017-2019 vintage.
MX Linux packager and developer

Halfloaf

#5 Post by Halfloaf »

You'll need to establish the chipset of your wifi in order to see which drivers are required. RealTek is generally supported well and used in some of the HP X360 laptops, some tech specs for different versions of the X360's are not listed and could use Broadcom chipsets which are not so well supported. If other distributions work then a driver should (either in source or packaged format) be available. I have an older HP and the Broadcom drivers for my chipset are closed source and not supplied, even with the non free images. The only distributions I've tested on my HP that work 'out-the-box' are Manjaro, Arch and Mint.

See first post after your question to find your wifi hardware specs.

LechonLover

#6 Post by LechonLover »

Thank you for all the quick replies. I performed the command "lspci -nn | grep -i network" and got the following result

01:00.0 Network Controller [0280]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8822BE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac WiFi adapter [10ec:b822]

So from this it seems as though it is the Realtek WiFi adapter, as another user pointed out. Since I know the hardware now, how do I go about locating and downloading those drivers.

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#7 Post by 4D696B65 »

You need to install firmware-realtek and most likely a newer kernel
https://packages.debian.org/stretch-bac ... re-realtek

Buster with nonfree
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unoff ... so-hybrid/

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

Yes, if you rely on wi-fi to install packages from backports, it's going to be a real headache to do that without a connection. Debian Buster, or a Stretch-based distro that already has those backports as default, like MX Linux, are going to be the easiest to get going.
MX Linux packager and developer

LechonLover

#9 Post by LechonLover »

4D696B65 wrote:You need to install firmware-realtek and most likely a newer kernel
https://packages.debian.org/stretch-bac ... re-realtek

Buster with nonfree
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unoff ... so-hybrid/
Yay! :) the second link worked better. I found a copy of the gnome live CD, and the WiFi drivers were available.

Thank you all for the help you have provided. I finally have a chance to test Debian.

Take care,
Simon