Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Improve memory usage in Debian

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
PsySc0rpi0n

Re: Improve memory usage in Debian

#46 Post by PsySc0rpi0n »

Hallvor wrote:
sickpig wrote:looks beautiful and sleek for sure
but anything which uses above 100mb RAM after boot scares me off
I don't get this obsession of low memory usage on an empty desktop. It really doesn't matter at all, unless you like to stare at it, doing nothing. What matters, if RAM is so precious that you pay for it without wanting to use it, is how much RAM is being used when running the applications you use for your daily tasks.
It's not that the point. I on't want to have 16Gb of RAM and force my OS and apps to use as low memory as possible. It becomes an issue when you're pretty much sure that your OS and apps are using too much memory without reason. Like when something is wrong!
I don't mind to have 15 tabs open on chrome, using Atom (text editor), Gimp while I listen to music with VLC and speaking to people on Discord, Telegram and Skpe and RAM is at 95% or more... That's reasonable. What it is not reasonable is when you have only the same 15 tabs open and not much more and you have like 85% or 90% of RAM used. That's not reasonable to me and probably something is wrong. Some hanged up app or some process using too much CPU and/or RAM without you knowing!

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#47 Post by Hallvor »

My post was not directed at you.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#48 Post by oswaldkelso »

PsySc0rpi0n wrote:
Hallvor wrote:
sickpig wrote:looks beautiful and sleek for sure
but anything which uses above 100mb RAM after boot scares me off
I don't get this obsession of low memory usage on an empty desktop. It really doesn't matter at all, unless you like to stare at it, doing nothing. What matters, if RAM is so precious that you pay for it without wanting to use it, is how much RAM is being used when running the applications you use for your daily tasks.
It's not that the point. I on't want to have 16Gb of RAM and force my OS and apps to use as low memory as possible. It becomes an issue when you're pretty much sure that your OS and apps are using too much memory without reason. Like when something is wrong!
I don't mind to have 15 tabs open on chrome, using Atom (text editor), Gimp while I listen to music with VLC and speaking to people on Discord, Telegram and Skpe and RAM is at 95% or more... That's reasonable. What it is not reasonable is when you have only the same 15 tabs open and not much more and you have like 85% or 90% of RAM used. That's not reasonable to me and probably something is wrong. Some hanged up app or some process using too much CPU and/or RAM without you knowing!
On this system I have 3GB of memory. I don't run the same applications or Debian but a similar load as you. 26 tabs in the browser, MPV playing a film inkscape and gimp with files open, transmission, Rox, pidgin, 2 libre-office files open a doc and a spreadsheet, wicd and mail, tor, and chat.

3.6 MiB + 1.1 MiB = 4.7 MiB tint2 (2)
4.0 MiB + 865.5 KiB = 4.9 MiB notification-daemon
4.9 MiB + 467.0 KiB = 5.3 MiB wicd
5.9 MiB + 1.3 MiB = 7.3 MiB transmission-gtk
7.0 MiB + 879.5 KiB = 7.9 MiB ROX-Filer
8.0 MiB + 471.5 KiB = 8.5 MiB bash (3)
7.2 MiB + 1.4 MiB = 8.6 MiB leafpad (2)
10.7 MiB + 1.6 MiB = 12.3 MiB wicd-client
12.5 MiB + 73.5 KiB = 12.5 MiB nscd
13.1 MiB + 1.4 MiB = 14.5 MiB pidgin
14.7 MiB + 1.6 MiB = 16.3 MiB claws-mail
21.6 MiB + 3.3 MiB = 24.9 MiB mumble
37.2 MiB + 361.0 KiB = 37.5 MiB tor
16.9 MiB + 29.4 MiB = 46.3 MiB Xorg
52.4 MiB + 1.8 MiB = 54.2 MiB mpv
72.9 MiB + 1.8 MiB = 74.7 MiB inkscape
82.2 MiB + 1.3 MiB = 83.5 MiB soffice.bin
237.2 MiB + 1.6 MiB = 238.8 MiB gimp-2.6
680.1 MiB + 26.3 MiB = 706.5 MiB seamonkey
---------------------------------
1.4 GiB
=================================
bash-4.3#

Now my system is old and 32bit but I would expect you to be able to run the same with 64bit applications with newer versions with 3gb of ram. If not you must be running some serious bugs or bloat somewhere. Having 16 gb of ram to run those application is obscene even allowing for "you have it I'll use it." of the kernel.

Maybe you need to review your software choice and buy a samsung nc 10. That will make you think about what effects your performance. in a way that improves it. Then when you run that system with 16gb of ram it will friggin fly

All software has a bang for buck ratio.. Some are worth the hit others deserve to die
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

sickpig

#49 Post by sickpig »

oswaldkelso, i dont suppose u r running a DE
or electron apps(the worse RAM magnets)

no doubt something is wrong in OP's kde system, the question is what?

16gb RAM is such a luxury, i have 3 laptops their combined total does not equal 16gb RAM

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#50 Post by Hallvor »

It is not that hard to identify the culprit. I'll suggest the OP runs all his usual suspects and monitor their resource usage closely. Once the culprit(s) is/are found, uninstall them and look for options.
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

sickpig

#51 Post by sickpig »

@Hallvor
thats not helpful at all
OP needs to know how to identify and prevent the high RAM using activities. My suggestion is to skip DE and if thats not palatable then use TDE which is quite frugal in terms of RAM usage.
U r saying KDE is not resource hungry at all but OP is using KDE then why are they having this issue?

Wheelerof4te

#52 Post by Wheelerof4te »

^You are being vocal about ditching KDE, but I have yet to understand why. OP has 16 GB of RAM, that should be enough to run any DE.
His problem lies elsewhere.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#53 Post by Hallvor »

sickpig wrote:@Hallvor
thats not helpful at all
OP needs to know how to identify and prevent the high RAM using activities. My suggestion is to skip DE and if thats not palatable then use TDE which is quite frugal in terms of RAM usage.
U r saying KDE is not resource hungry at all but OP is using KDE then why are they having this issue?
Please learn the difference between correlation and causality.

Secondly, changing desktop environment is quite a job. Giving advice in that direction for no good reason, is horrible advice.

Thirdly, KDE is not that resource hungry. In a real use example (Web browser, file manager and terminal), Debian 9 with KDE clocked in at 5th place out of 20, a mere 96 MB behind Debian XFCE - with maybe twice the configurability.

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments ... n_updated/

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#54 Post by wizard10000 »

sickpig wrote:I have this OCD for having the lowest possible RAM after boot without sacrificing utility. Also, I strive for fastest boot possible. I mean i know few seconds here and there is not going to change much but just another obsession.
I used to have that same obsession (which I call intellectual masturbation). But - unused resources are wasted resources.

My openbox install with all my bells and whistles takes up about 350MB of RAM at idle, which is pretty fat for openbox but that includes compton, conky, tilda and a small pile of GVFS stuff for plugging in cameras or phones.
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

sickpig

#55 Post by sickpig »

Hallvor wrote:[Secondly, changing desktop environment is quite a job. Giving advice in that direction for no good reason, is horrible advice.
the quickest way to confirm if they can open same tabs and apps without draining excessive RAM is test in a different DE.
Alternatively purge KDE and do a fresh install of it?
For me no advice is horrible advice. Any advice which might resolve OP's issue is useful I believe.
Wheelerof4te wrote:^You are being vocal about ditching KDE, but I have yet to understand why. OP has 16 GB of RAM, that should be enough to run any DE.
His problem lies elsewhere.
I agree problem lies elsewhere. Hopefully a purge and KDE reinstall solves it for the OP.
wizard10000 wrote: I used to have that same obsession (which I call intellectual masturbation). But - unused resources are wasted resources.

My openbox install with all my bells and whistles takes up about 350MB of RAM at idle, which is pretty fat for openbox but that includes compton, conky, tilda and a small pile of GVFS stuff for plugging in cameras or phones.
Openbox is quite flexible it can be as light or as heavy you want it to be. Gives the user extensive granular control over what can be added. I love its modularity, you can only add components which are useful to you and skip the rest.

I use all of system's resources, I just like to keep the baseline as low as possible.

sickpig

#56 Post by sickpig »

Hallvor wrote:Please learn the difference between correlation and causality.
how is this constructive? your posts have just been in defence of kde, any actual help in solving the OP, no.

sickpig

#57 Post by sickpig »

and i choose not to learn stupid things like "correlation and causality"

vbrummond

#58 Post by vbrummond »

Hallvor is a quality contributor here, so I don't appreciate this conduct. There isn't a computer today that isn't affordable that can't run any Linux DE in memory. The issue today is support for modern gpu technology, compositing, and perceived performance.
Always on Debian Testing

sickpig

#59 Post by sickpig »

yes, my responses were childish, I shall refrain from such behaviour. I agree our forum is no place for non-sense. My apologies.

Deb-fan

#60 Post by Deb-fan »

First find out how much memory each of those are using (+1 ps_mem) but there are so many commands,utils,methods of doing it in gnu/Linux, worth Googling about the topic and experimenting to find what you like. Yep browsers are notorious memory hogs now. That can be mitigated to whatever extent (as shown by HOAS demonstrating Firefox.) Which has always been my browser, thus I've learned to tweak it to make it faster and lighter than out-of-box. Google such tweaks for your preferred web browser but be careful in how you go about it ie: use a virtual machine or to separate profile. There are plenty of trash how-to's on the web.

+1 lowering swappiness. Same for disabling unneeded start up services with systemctl etc. Switching to a lighter desktop (or window manager) is a easy and straightforward way to save a huge chunk of system resources but is dependent on a person preferences. Would advise trying any that look interesting to you in live session isos or vm to see if it's something you'd want to do or pursue.

KDE/etc can be tweaked to reduce memory footprint too (Google) the way they come out-of-box verses how someone with the required know how can set them up can be drastically different. things. Just a matter of getting familiar with whatever de/wm or combo thereof and what they can do.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#61 Post by Hallvor »

Deb-fan wrote:Switching to a lighter desktop (or window manager) is a easy and straightforward way to save a huge chunk of system resources but is dependent on a person preferences. Would advise trying any that look interesting to you in live session isos or vm to see if it's something you'd want to do or pursue.
Do you have benchmarks to back up that claim? I posted a link that showed that the difference between KDE and XFCE in real use was less than 100 megabytes.* You may want to call that a huge chunk of system resources, but on most systems, including OP's system, I'd call that negligible.

* KDE was also running more advanced applications.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#62 Post by CwF »

Waste not, Want not.

Code: Select all

dom0@computer:~$ uptime
 10:42:23 up 43 days, 13:51,  3 users,  load average: 1.73, 3.59, 4.46
dom0@computer:~$ uptime
 09:05:32 up 44 days, 12:15,  3 users,  load average: 1.39, 1.36, 1.36
dom0@computer:~$ free -h
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:            31G         19G        378M        479M         11G         11G
Swap:          7.6G        874M        6.8G

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#63 Post by Hallvor »

Goodness.. What are you running?

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#64 Post by CwF »

Hallvor wrote:Goodness.. What are you running?
Apparently everything! No, not really. Version 2 of the everything box, still a failure, but really close.

Deb-fan

#65 Post by Deb-fan »

Can only go by stats others post about whichever desktop(s) Last time I'd messed with Gnome, was v 2.4. Mainly think windows managers are the bomb, for me openbox and the 2 Debian installs on my crusty ole lappy both weigh in at under 100mbs-ram(4gbs total) . You're right though with 16gbs any desktop should be negligible. Not that am saying anything bad about all the gnu/Linux desktop choices either. Plenty of amazing stuff to choose from. Wondering if OP was just misreading their memory usage.

There are plenty of credible examples of how to go about optimizing a gnu/nix operating system and the results/impact that doing so can have on resource overhead. Stand by some of the lowest hanging fruit in that is choice of desktop(windows manager) For people whose goal is making it lighter. Well and again someone tweaking their choosen desktop/Os, started out with gnu/Linux Mint 10 (Gnone 2.4) out of box used 270mbs-ram, after tweaking was down to like 124mbs. Same desktop, same Os, 54% reduction in memory usage. Not to mention lower cpu loads, ran faster, smoother and cooler, more stable and with a bunch of unused process disabled has to equal somewhat more secure. Yep would class that example as a huge improvement.

Also, lmao CwF, damn man. :)
Last edited by Deb-fan on 2019-07-02 18:13, edited 2 times in total.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *