Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Install Nvidia VGA driver.

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
hack3rcon

Install Nvidia VGA driver.

#1 Post by hack3rcon »

Hello.
I'm using Debian 9.9 x86_64. My PC has a Nvidia Geforce GT630 VGA and I want to install my VGA driver.
I downloaded driver from the Nvidia website and it is a ".run" file.
How can I prepare my system for install the driver?
Which files I must have a backup if after the installation, system can't boot into GUI mode and I can restore it to the previous state?

Thank you.

Wheelerof4te

Re: Install Nvidia VGA driver.

#2 Post by Wheelerof4te »

From another thread on the net:
"WARNING: The NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 GPU installed in this system is supported through the NVIDIA 390.xx legacy Linux graphics drivers. Please visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for more information. The 410.73 NVIDIA Linux graphics driver will ignore this GPU."
Debian 10 doesn't ship with nvidia-390-legacy drivers. Don't use those .run files, this is not Slackware. Your only choice moving forward is to use nouveau free driver.
Or use a distro that still supports that card.

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

Buster doesn't ship with the Legacy 390 drivers, and they never will ship with the proprietary drivers, but they are in the non-free section: https://packages.debian.org/buster/nvid ... ernel-dkms

All the OP needs to do it follow the Debian wiki to add the non-free section and install them, the same as it has been for many years for the other legacy Nvidia drivers.

Edit: OP also said they're using Debian 9.9, not 10.
Last edited by stevepusser on 2019-07-14 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
MX Linux packager and developer

Wheelerof4te

#4 Post by Wheelerof4te »

^Oh, yeah. They are there, I mistook them for 304 legacy drivers that were dropped from Buster.

hack3rcon

#5 Post by hack3rcon »

stevepusser wrote:Buster doesn't ship with the Legacy 390 drivers, and they never will ship with the proprietary drivers, but they are in the non-free section: https://packages.debian.org/buster/nvid ... ernel-dkms

All the OP needs to do it follow the Debian wiki to add the non-free section and install them, the same as it has been for many years for the other legacy Nvidia drivers.
Why I should not install by ".run" file?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by sunrat »

hack3rcon wrote:Why I should not install by ".run" file?
Because it won't automatically upgrade when you upgrade a kernel which happens occasionally with normal upgrades. If you install the nvidia-driver package or one of the legacy packages from the Debian non-free repo it will automatically rebuild the kernel module with DKMS.
The .run install should be ok until you upgrade the kernel. That is if it installs in the first place which depends on which version of gcc it was built with in the first place.
Until I tried the repo install I used to do it with the .run file years ago , wouldn't do it again. It's the absolute last option. A better way to do that if you must is to use smxi.
Options for Nvidia from best to worst -
- use nouveau driver if it works for your card
- install from Debian non-free repo
- install with smxi
- .run file
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

hack3rcon

#7 Post by hack3rcon »

sunrat wrote:
hack3rcon wrote:Why I should not install by ".run" file?
Because it won't automatically upgrade when you upgrade a kernel which happens occasionally with normal upgrades. If you install the nvidia-driver package or one of the legacy packages from the Debian non-free repo it will automatically rebuild the kernel module with DKMS.
The .run install should be ok until you upgrade the kernel. That is if it installs in the first place which depends on which version of gcc it was built with in the first place.
Until I tried the repo install I used to do it with the .run file years ago , wouldn't do it again. It's the absolute last option. A better way to do that if you must is to use smxi.
Options for Nvidia from best to worst -
- use nouveau driver if it works for your card
- install from Debian non-free repo
- install with smxi
- .run file
Thank you for your useful information. Is the nouveau driver powerful like the ".run" file that Nvidia provided? For example, If someone want to work with animation programs like "Autodesk Maya" under the Linux, then nouveau driver can offer good performance and...?

Wheelerof4te

#8 Post by Wheelerof4te »

hack3rcon wrote: If someone want to work with animation programs like "Autodesk Maya" under the Linux, then nouveau driver can offer good performance and...?
No, 3D stuff is bad with nouveau. You should install NVIDIA's driver if that's what you want to use.

sickpig

#9 Post by sickpig »

hack3rcon wrote:I'm using Debian 9.9 x86_64. My PC has a Nvidia Geforce GT630 VGA and I want to install my VGA driver.Thank you.
the right question is y u want to use gpu driver?

hack3rcon

#10 Post by hack3rcon »

Wheelerof4te wrote:
hack3rcon wrote: If someone want to work with animation programs like "Autodesk Maya" under the Linux, then nouveau driver can offer good performance and...?
No, 3D stuff is bad with nouveau. You should install NVIDIA's driver if that's what you want to use.
No, I don't want to use 3D programs like "Autodesk Maya", but if I want to watch movies with 4K resolution or use VMs then can it hurt my VGA?

Wheelerof4te

#11 Post by Wheelerof4te »

I don't know, the only way to find out is to try. 2D acceleration should work even with nouveau, but your GPU will not run at optimum capacity. If you paid a lot for that GPU, it would be rather curious to use it with a gimped driver.

hack3rcon

#12 Post by hack3rcon »

Wheelerof4te wrote:I don't know, the only way to find out is to try. 2D acceleration should work even with nouveau, but your GPU will not run at optimum capacity. If you paid a lot for that GPU, it would be rather curious to use it with a gimped driver.
The only problem with Nvidia driver was update? When Kernel or other programming languages updated then I must update Nvidia driver manually?

Wheelerof4te

#13 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Just install nvidia-legacy-390xx-kernel-dkms package.
DKMS will take care of the kernel upgrades problem.

hack3rcon

#14 Post by hack3rcon »

Wheelerof4te wrote:Just install nvidia-legacy-390xx-kernel-dkms package.
DKMS will take care of the kernel upgrades problem.
Available packages are:

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt-cache search nvidia-legacy-
nvidia-detect - NVIDIA GPU detection utility
nvidia-legacy-check - check for NVIDIA GPUs requiring a legacy driver
libgl1-nvidia-legacy-304xx-glx - NVIDIA binary OpenGL/GLX library (304xx legacy version)
libnvidia-legacy-304xx-cfg1 - NVIDIA binary OpenGL/GLX configuration library (304xx legacy version)
libnvidia-legacy-304xx-compiler - NVIDIA runtime compiler library (304xx legacy version)
libnvidia-legacy-304xx-cuda1 - NVIDIA CUDA Driver Library (304xx legacy version)
libnvidia-legacy-304xx-cuda1-i386 - NVIDIA CUDA 32-bit runtime library (304xx legacy version)
libnvidia-legacy-304xx-glcore - NVIDIA binary OpenGL/GLX core libraries (304xx legacy version)
libnvidia-legacy-304xx-ml1 - NVIDIA Management Library (NVML) runtime library (304xx legacy version)
libnvidia-legacy-304xx-nvcuvid1 - NVIDIA CUDA Video Decoder runtime library (304xx legacy version)
nvidia-legacy-304xx-alternative - allows the selection of NVIDIA as GLX provider (304xx legacy version)
nvidia-legacy-304xx-driver - NVIDIA metapackage (304xx legacy version)
nvidia-legacy-304xx-driver-bin - NVIDIA driver support binaries (304xx legacy version)
nvidia-legacy-304xx-driver-libs - NVIDIA metapackage (OpenGL/GLX libraries) (304xx legacy version)
nvidia-legacy-304xx-driver-libs-i386 - NVIDIA metapackage (OpenGL/GLX 32-bit libraries) (304xx legacy version)
nvidia-legacy-304xx-kernel-dkms - NVIDIA binary kernel module DKMS source (304xx legacy version)
nvidia-legacy-304xx-kernel-source - NVIDIA binary kernel module source (304xx legacy version)
nvidia-legacy-304xx-kernel-support - NVIDIA binary kernel module support files (304xx legacy version)
nvidia-legacy-304xx-opencl-icd - NVIDIA OpenCL installable client driver (ICD) (304xx legacy version)
nvidia-legacy-304xx-smi - NVIDIA System Management Interface (304xx legacy version)
nvidia-legacy-304xx-vdpau-driver - Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix - NVIDIA driver (304xx legacy)
xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-legacy-304xx - NVIDIA binary Xorg driver (304xx legacy version)
libegl1-nvidia-legacy-340xx - NVIDIA binary EGL library (340xx legacy version)
libgl1-nvidia-legacy-340xx-glx - NVIDIA binary OpenGL/GLX library (340xx legacy version)
libgles1-nvidia-legacy-340xx - NVIDIA binary OpenGL|ES 1.x library (340xx legacy version)
libgles2-nvidia-legacy-340xx - NVIDIA binary OpenGL|ES 2.x library (340xx legacy version)
libnvidia-legacy-340xx-cfg1 - NVIDIA binary OpenGL/GLX configuration library (340xx legacy version)
libnvidia-legacy-340xx-compiler - NVIDIA runtime compiler library (340xx legacy version)
libnvidia-legacy-340xx-cuda1 - NVIDIA CUDA Driver Library (340xx legacy version)
libnvidia-legacy-340xx-cuda1-i386 - NVIDIA CUDA 32-bit runtime library (340xx legacy version)
libnvidia-legacy-340xx-eglcore - NVIDIA binary EGL core libraries (340xx legacy version)
libnvidia-legacy-340xx-encode1 - NVENC Video Encoding runtime library (340xx legacy version)
libnvidia-legacy-340xx-fbc1 - NVIDIA OpenGL-based Framebuffer Capture runtime library (340xx legacy version)
libnvidia-legacy-340xx-glcore - NVIDIA binary OpenGL/GLX core libraries (340xx legacy version)
libnvidia-legacy-340xx-ifr1 - NVIDIA OpenGL-based Inband Frame Readback runtime library (340xx legacy)
libnvidia-legacy-340xx-ml1 - NVIDIA Management Library (NVML) runtime library (340xx legacy version)
libnvidia-legacy-340xx-nvcuvid1 - NVIDIA CUDA Video Decoder runtime library (340xx legacy version)
nvidia-legacy-340xx-alternative - allows the selection of NVIDIA as GLX provider (340xx legacy version)
nvidia-legacy-340xx-driver - NVIDIA metapackage (340xx legacy version)
nvidia-legacy-340xx-driver-bin - NVIDIA driver support binaries (340xx legacy version)
nvidia-legacy-340xx-driver-libs - NVIDIA metapackage (OpenGL/GLX/EGL/GLES libraries) (340xx legacy version)
nvidia-legacy-340xx-driver-libs-i386 - NVIDIA metapackage (OpenGL/GLX/EGL/GLES 32-bit libraries) (340xx legacy)
nvidia-legacy-340xx-kernel-dkms - NVIDIA binary kernel module DKMS source (340xx legacy version)
nvidia-legacy-340xx-kernel-source - NVIDIA binary kernel module source (340xx legacy version)
nvidia-legacy-340xx-kernel-support - NVIDIA binary kernel module support files (340xx legacy version)
nvidia-legacy-340xx-opencl-icd - NVIDIA OpenCL installable client driver (ICD) (340xx legacy version)
nvidia-legacy-340xx-smi - NVIDIA System Management Interface (340xx legacy version)
nvidia-legacy-340xx-vdpau-driver - Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix - NVIDIA driver (340xx legacy)
xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-legacy-340xx - NVIDIA binary Xorg driver (340xx legacy version)
libegl-nvidia-legacy-390xx0 - NVIDIA binary EGL library (390xx legacy version)
libegl1-nvidia-legacy-390xx - NVIDIA binary EGL library (non-GLVND variant) (390xx legacy version)
libgl1-nvidia-legacy-390xx-glvnd-glx - NVIDIA binary OpenGL/GLX library (GLVND variant) (390xx legacy version)
libgl1-nvidia-legacy-390xx-glx - NVIDIA binary OpenGL/GLX library (non-GLVND variant) (390xx legacy version)
libgles-nvidia-legacy-390xx1 - NVIDIA binary OpenGL|ES 1.x library (390xx legacy version)
libgles-nvidia-legacy-390xx2 - NVIDIA binary OpenGL|ES 2.x library (390xx legacy version)
libglx-nvidia-legacy-390xx0 - NVIDIA binary GLX library (390xx legacy version)
libnvidia-legacy-390xx-cfg1 - NVIDIA binary OpenGL/GLX configuration library (390xx legacy version)
libnvidia-legacy-390xx-compiler - NVIDIA runtime compiler library (390xx legacy version)
libnvidia-legacy-390xx-cuda1 - NVIDIA CUDA Driver Library (390xx legacy version)
libnvidia-legacy-390xx-cuda1-i386 - NVIDIA CUDA 32-bit runtime library (390xx legacy version)
libnvidia-legacy-390xx-eglcore - NVIDIA binary EGL core libraries (390xx legacy version)
libnvidia-legacy-390xx-encode1 - NVENC Video Encoding runtime library (390xx legacy version)
libnvidia-legacy-390xx-fatbinaryloader - NVIDIA FAT binary loader (390xx legacy version)
libnvidia-legacy-390xx-fbc1 - NVIDIA OpenGL-based Framebuffer Capture runtime library (390xx legacy version)
libnvidia-legacy-390xx-glcore - NVIDIA binary OpenGL/GLX core libraries (390xx legacy version)
libnvidia-legacy-390xx-ifr1 - NVIDIA OpenGL-based Inband Frame Readback runtime library (390xx legacy)
libnvidia-legacy-390xx-ml1 - NVIDIA Management Library (NVML) runtime library (390xx legacy version)
libnvidia-legacy-390xx-nvcuvid1 - NVIDIA CUDA Video Decoder runtime library (390xx legacy version)
libnvidia-legacy-390xx-ptxjitcompiler1 - NVIDIA PTX JIT Compiler (390xx legacy version)
nvidia-legacy-390xx-alternative - allows the selection of NVIDIA as GLX provider (390xx legacy version)
nvidia-legacy-390xx-driver - NVIDIA metapackage (390xx legacy version)
nvidia-legacy-390xx-driver-bin - NVIDIA driver support binaries (390xx legacy version)
nvidia-legacy-390xx-driver-libs - NVIDIA metapackage (OpenGL/GLX/EGL/GLES libraries) (390xx legacy version)
nvidia-legacy-390xx-driver-libs-i386 - NVIDIA metapackage (OpenGL/GLX/EGL/GLES 32-bit libraries) (390xx legacy)
nvidia-legacy-390xx-driver-libs-nonglvnd - NVIDIA metapackage (non-GLVND OpenGL/GLX/EGL/GLES libraries) (390xx legacy)
nvidia-legacy-390xx-driver-libs-nonglvnd-i386 - NVIDIA metapackage (non-GLVND OpenGL/EGL/etc. 32-bit libraries) (390xx legacy)
nvidia-legacy-390xx-egl-icd - NVIDIA EGL installable client driver (ICD)
nvidia-legacy-390xx-kernel-dkms - NVIDIA binary kernel module DKMS source (390xx legacy version)
nvidia-legacy-390xx-kernel-source - NVIDIA binary kernel module source (390xx legacy version)
nvidia-legacy-390xx-kernel-support - NVIDIA binary kernel module support files (390xx legacy version)
nvidia-legacy-390xx-nonglvnd-vulkan-icd - NVIDIA Vulkan ICD (non-GLVND variant) (390xx legacy version)
nvidia-legacy-390xx-opencl-icd - NVIDIA OpenCL installable client driver (ICD) (390xx legacy version)
nvidia-legacy-390xx-smi - NVIDIA System Management Interface (390xx legacy version)
nvidia-legacy-390xx-vdpau-driver - Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix - NVIDIA driver (390xx legacy)
nvidia-legacy-390xx-vulkan-icd - NVIDIA Vulkan installable client driver (ICD) (390xx legacy version)
xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-legacy-390xx - NVIDIA binary Xorg driver (390xx legacy version)
How you know "Nvidia Geforce GT630" is "nvidia-legacy-390xx-kernel-dkms" ?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Post by sunrat »

hack3rcon wrote:How you know "Nvidia Geforce GT630" is "nvidia-legacy-390xx-kernel-dkms" ?
Maybe searched on the internet. Something you should try before asking questions on the forum.
A quick search using the term "debian buster Nvidia Geforce GT630" brought this up as the second result. First was the Debian wiki page about Nvidia.

https://packages.debian.org/buster/nvid ... ernel-dkms
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

hack3rcon

#16 Post by hack3rcon »

sunrat wrote:
hack3rcon wrote:How you know "Nvidia Geforce GT630" is "nvidia-legacy-390xx-kernel-dkms" ?
Maybe searched on the internet. Something you should try before asking questions on the forum.
A quick search using the term "debian buster Nvidia Geforce GT630" brought this up as the second result. First was the Debian wiki page about Nvidia.

https://packages.debian.org/buster/nvid ... ernel-dkms
I found that information in Synaptic too. I meant was CLI.

Head_on_a_Stick

#17 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

https://packages.debian.org/buster/nvidia-detect
deadbang

hack3rcon

#18 Post by hack3rcon »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
https://packages.debian.org/buster/nvidia-detect
Thank you.
Before install, which config file I need to create backup? If after install system can't boot into GUI then I can restore it to previous state.

stevepusser

#19 Post by stevepusser »

I suggested in my first post that you follow the Debian wiki, which tells you to install and use nvidia-detect. Before we answer any more of your questions that are answered in the wiki, please actually go there and read the entry.
MX Linux packager and developer

hack3rcon

#20 Post by hack3rcon »

stevepusser wrote:I suggested in my first post that you follow the Debian wiki, which tells you to install and use nvidia-detect. Before we answer any more of your questions that are answered in the wiki, please actually go there and read the entry.
I can't see anything about backup!!!