Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Move data from NTFS to EXT4, keep file/folder attributes?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
jaja

Move data from NTFS to EXT4, keep file/folder attributes?

#1 Post by jaja »

I'm switching from Windows-7 to Debian.

How do I migrate my data from NTFS to EXT4, while preserving the file and folder permissions(RWX) and time stamps (Modify date/time, etc.)?

I've looked at "tar" and "7-zip".

"tar" will extract this information from a "tar" archive on to the Debian machine.
Unfortunately, I can't find a Windows version of "tar" to create the "tar" archive on the Windows-7 machine.

7-zip doesn't not store file and folder permissions.

I know that some information will be lost (creation time). But I would like to preserve as much as possible.

Any suggestions appreciated.

vbrummond

Re: Move data from NTFS to EXT4, keep file/folder attributes

#2 Post by vbrummond »

Windows admins are recommending robo copy and to a lesser extent 7zip with zip format set to store. https://superuser.com/questions/146125/ ... in-windows
Always on Debian Testing

theblueplll

#3 Post by theblueplll »

Is the data on a partition separate from the os?
Of course it is windows so most likely not.

Debian will read ntfs partitons without trouble in my experience so if it is at all possible just have the installer leave that partition alone and move things around after you're done installing Debian?

Just a thought.

jaja

#4 Post by jaja »

vbrummond wrote:Windows admins are recommending robo copy and to a lesser extent 7zip with zip format set to store. https://superuser.com/questions/146125/ ... in-windows
Thanks for the suggestion.
It appears that robocopy/rsync are the only ones that might preserve the folder time stamp info (to be tested).
They're more complicated than just using "tar" (I couldn't find a windows version of "tar", and I was hoping someone here knew of one).
Thanks for the pointer. Now to get to work testing it.

jaja

#5 Post by jaja »

theblueplll wrote:Is the data on a partition separate from the os?
Of course it is windows so most likely not.

Debian will read ntfs partitons without trouble in my experience so if it is at all possible just have the installer leave that partition alone and move things around after you're done installing Debian?

Just a thought.
Thanks for the idea. I'll look into it.