Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Mate, Which one?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Slayer

Debian Mate, Which one?

#1 Post by Slayer »

I'm not new to Linux but this is a first for me to install Debian. I chose Debian Mate 64bit. Not sure which computer it will go on yet until I'm sure I like it.

I like the Mate Desktop the most but I think I may have made a mistake in downloading 10.0.0? Should I have downloaded 9 instead?

ruwolf

Re: Debian Mate, Which one?

#2 Post by ruwolf »

In Debian, you can choose desktop environment which you like, even you can install all together and switch on login by your current feelings and needs. :-)
P.S.
Current stable distribution is Debian 10 (buster), which contains MATE, too, of course...

GarryRicketson

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

No, you should not use Debian 9 , unless that is what you want, as all ready mentioned Debian 10 is the current stable release, and so far from what I have seen, Debian 10 is a big improvement, compared to 9.
As for using Mate DE, every one has their preferences, that is why their are Window Managers, and other DE's.

sgage

#4 Post by sgage »

Slayer wrote:I'm not new to Linux but this is a first for me to install Debian. I chose Debian Mate 64bit. Not sure which computer it will go on yet until I'm sure I like it.

I like the Mate Desktop the most but I think I may have made a mistake in downloading 10.0.0? Should I have downloaded 9 instead?
I use MATE on Debian 10, and it works fine. MATE has been my favorite DE for 2-3 years now, and it's great on Debian.