Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Wifi connection

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
albradley

Wifi connection

#1 Post by albradley »

Hello, I just installed Debian and during the installation I could connect to the wifi and download everything, but after a reboot I cannot connect to the wifi anymore. I have not changed anything it is still the base install. The network manager can scan for the network and when I try to connect after entering my password it just keeps prompting me to re enter the password over and over until I just finally press cancel. I have tried to reset the network manager and it just keeps doing the same thing. my network card is a Atheros 802.11n which according to the website should auto load (ath9k) without extra firmware. When I run dmesg it tells me Wlp1s0 up but link is not ready. I cannot connect via ethernet because the laptop does not have a ethernet port, is there anything I can do? Thanks.
Last edited by albradley on 2019-10-04 22:43, edited 2 times in total.

ruwolf

Re: Wifi connection

#2 Post by ruwolf »

Atheros 802.11n is not exact specification of card.
What does lspci give to you?

albradley

#3 Post by albradley »

01:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9462 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

What's strange is when I tried debian 9.9.9 about a month ago everything worked fine, but now that i'm trying to use debian 10 the wifi doesn't work.

ruwolf

#4 Post by ruwolf »

Yes, this device should work with ath9k driver.
What does give you this command?

Code: Select all

systemctl list-units|grep -iE 'net|dhcp|wicd|conn'
? (Maybe you have two different services, both trying to connect with wifi: source)

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

ruwolf wrote:What does give you this command?

systemctl list-units|grep -iE 'net|dhcp|wicd|conn'
? (Maybe you have two different services, both trying to connect with wifi: source)
The usual command to check for that on the Arch forums is

systemctl list-unit-files --state=enabled
Your suggested command won't indicate enabled units and so may throw up false positives.

But in this case I think the OP should check

/usr/sbin/rfkill
deadbang